• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45-70

Jan 23, 2013
    North Central MD
    An ATF agent made an unannounced inspection at Bel Air Gun Supply yesterday. (aka Fallston Guns).

When the agent saw several hundred handguns awaiting MSP paperwork, he told the owner/FFL that is was ok to release guns to purchasers provided:

1) at least 30 days had elapsed since the paperwork was submitted

and

2) the purchaser is known to the owner from previous ("recent") regulated purchases.

or

3) the purchaser is active military and has waited 30+ days.

I don't know if the agent made this decision on his own or if this is standard ATF policy. I also don't know what the MSP's take is on this action.

I do know I picked up a pistol today after the a 59 day wait.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    An ATF agent made an unannounced inspection at Bel Air Gun Supply yesterday. (aka Fallston Guns).

When the agent saw several hundred handguns awaiting MSP paperwork, he told the owner/FFL that is was ok to release guns to purchasers provided:

1) at least 30 days had elapsed since the paperwork was submitted

and

2) the purchaser is known to the owner from previous ("recent") regulated purchases.

or

3) the purchaser is active military and has waited 30+ days.

I don't know if the agent made this decision on his own or if this is standard ATF policy. I also don't know what the MSP's take is on this action.

I do know I picked up a pistol today after the a 59 day wait.

While the result is better than what we are seeing now (80+ days), I cringe to see government bureaucrats making up the law like this. There is no basis in law for the arbitrary 30 day waiting period (it should be 7 days), nor is there a basis in law for the recent purchaser/military requirement. In sum, while it is working in our favor, this is a clear example of what is wrong with the system.

Mattjtowne

NRA Life supporter
    Feb 10, 2013
    Reason 9,777,545,865,001 Maryland and O'Malley is a joke..

There is no following the law when its on their side.

Fail to follow as a resident and you get consequences!!

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Not an expert by any means but can guess the 30 days is when a NICS check would go dead? Still better than 90 days or where ever it's at now. Then again, this is just 1 persons story, will the ATF send out an official document about this to all Maryland FFL's?

ianmcall

Sep 21, 2011
    Damascus, MD
    If you are able to find out any information on the ATF agent that would be great(Name, Rank and contact information).

My dealer(Gun Shack) has told me that they have been contacting the ATF for clarification on the federal law but have had no such luck. Id love to pass that information on to my dealers so they can reach out to him.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Not an expert by any means but can guess the 30 days is when a NICS check would go dead? Still better than 90 days or where ever it's at now. Then again, this is just 1 persons story, will the ATF send out an official document about this to all Maryland FFL's?

30 days does match the life of a NICS check, but if MD never bothers to 'call it in'???

hawkeye86

May 15, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I can confirm that story. I was at the shop last night when the owner was telling it. Hopefully this ruling stays. It would be nice to pick up my new pistol in 30 days instead of 90+.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    ATF agent's name and title?

Kinda ambiguous otherwise.

Not that he needs an AFT agent's permission anyway. +8 days and it's legal.

kniwolf

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    Apr 5, 2012
    If you are able to find out any information on the ATF agent that would be great(Name, Rank and contact information).

My dealer(Gun Shack) has told me that they have been contacting the ATF for clarification on the federal law but have had no such luck. Id love to pass that information on to my dealers so they can reach out to him.

I'd like to pass this info to my FFL also...

45-70

Jan 23, 2013
    North Central MD
    I'm sorry I don't have the details on the ATF agent. Just repeating what I was told and admiring my new Remington R1 Enhanced 1911. I'll be back in the queue in 30 days when I purchase another pistol, and don't know what to expect. 4 months? 5 months?

This whole situation is completely messed up. Dealers are afraid to following the letter of the law to release after 8 days for fear of some unstated recrimination from the MSP or some other MD governing body. Yet this dealer gets an apparent verbal OK to release from an ATF agent, and she now feels comfortable releasing without paperwork.

I did get a pink copy of the 2 page MD application - just not stamped.

I'm thinking this whole thing is an anomoly but a lucky break for those who purchased at this shop. Meanwhile the insane waiting continues for the other 99% of gun buyers.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Damn.
    The I'm new to the FFL I just used, so I'd still be SOL if his business were inspected.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    ATF agent's name and title?

Kinda ambiguous otherwise.

Not that he needs an AFT agent's permission anyway. +8 days and it's legal.

Fool me once shame on you.

Fool me twice shame on me.

I mean no disrespect, but without ATF names, ATF titles, FFL names, and verifiable phone numbers, this is all CRAP with a capital CRAP.

I feel like a Large Mouth Bass that knows that's a plastic worm, but still want's to fall for the deception and strike.

NOPE!!! Not me. Not this time. I may go hungry, but I'll keep my pride.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    More and more FFLs are getting fed up with the current situation. As this happens you will hear more stories of FFLs releasing without the "not disapproved" stamp. They will be doing this under their terms, conditions and rules.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I did get a pink copy of the 2 page MD application - just not stamped.

Zo! Ven zhey demandt "your papieren, bitte", you're GTG with that?

Yeah, right.

It'll only hurt for a little while.

The check's in the mail.

I'll only use the first 1/2".

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    atf_womens_tshirt.jpg

I'm going to buy an ATF shirt and go visit some local gun shops and give them the "all clear" to release purchases after 7 days.

When I'm done with that I might just put this on and go arrest Eric Holder.
    fbi_womens_dark_tshirt.jpg

After that mess is taken care of, I'll put this on and go get a free coffee and donut somewhere.
    police_dark_tshirt.jpg

(and yes, I know these are women's shirts. I'm working undercover)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom