Where does 90% backgrnd check stat come from?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MotoJ

Sep 4, 2012
    Mobtown
    I keep reading that 90% of Americans favor universal background checks, including the majority of NRA members. No one ever asked me to participate in a poll. Where did this stat come from?

The 40% straw purchase number is another one that gets trotted out in every debate. Where did this one come from? I hear it's 20 years old, and complete BS, but haven't found a good explanation of the source.

There doesn't seem to be any significant pushback against these stats online, in print, or on the radio, if indeed they are baloney. What gives?

obnoxious2

Jan 18, 2013
    district 21 - hunger games
    90, I have no clue...

the 40 has been disproven time and again, and it really more like 10 (or less)

I believe the 90% is way back before the NRA pushed for the NICS database. And the straw purchase has already been proven false as it was a poll back in 1994 asking if people supported a ban on straw purchases of only 35% supported that was rounded up to 40%. All the straw purchases numbers can now be attributed to Obama and Holder and fast and furious

MotoJ

Sep 4, 2012
    Mobtown
    Well, it seems to be acknowledged by both sides of the debate, without question. If it's really bullshite, why aren't our guys pointing it out more often and more forcefully?
    It must have a source somewhere. The google does nothing....

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I actually believe its an aggregate number. Poll probably had 3-4 answers, one answer being no additional BG checks and the other being options that are progressively oppressive and they add all the numbers from non "no" votes to get to the highly over inflated number. I find it hard to believe in todays world that you could get 90% of the people to agree the sun comes up in the east or that the sky is blue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom