• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Cannot find the thread I started a day or two ago about MSP wait times on regulated purchases. So, I am starting a new one.

I drafted a letter to the Commander of the Licensing Division after not receiving a response to an e-mail I sent a couple days ago, but finally received a phone call today that explains it all.

First and foremost, let me say that I completely understand what MSP is going through right now and that I would not want to be in that situation myself.

So, onto the crux of the matter. Just 15 minutes ago, Ms. Rose Brock from MSP contacted me and we discussed the wait time and how it will affect my 2nd, 3rd, 4th regulated firearm purchase. I informed her that I have an application pending from February 26th and she replied that they are only on February 15th right now. So, I am willing to bet that the wait is currently going to be 60 days before I get the approval back on the February 26th application. When I asked about purchasing a 2nd regulated firearm and that I wanted to get it submitted now because 30 days have passed from the previous application, she said to just go ahead and submit it. If the approval process continues to take about 60 days, they will not get to my 2nd application until 30+ days have passed since the last approval. She said just to answer the 30 day question on the Form 77R and that MSP would take care of the 30 day period. She stated that if by some miracle they get caught up and my 2nd application for purchase were to be approved within 30 days of my previous approval, MSP would merely contact the FFL and tell the FFL to hold the firearm until a certain date and then release it on that date so the 30 day time frame would be met.

I think the most important thing to do is to remember that you need to be truthful on the 30 day question, which I believe is question 15 on the Form 77R. After that, the MSP will take care of the 30 days between purchases of regulated firearms.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    This one??

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=114150

Despite common belief, Search really can be helpful.

Yep, that one. I looked at my subscribed threads and could not find it. Even looked at the first 4 pages of threads on this forum and could not find it. Did it get moved or something? Rhetorical question because I will check that as soon as I hit "Submit Reply".

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    If you are not a Designated Collector: Have you taken possession of or applied to purchase a regulated firearm within the past thirty (30) days. If yes, give date __/__/__.

So you're saying that the time from when I fill the form out to when MSP actually looks at the form now counts as part of my 30 days?

I'd like to hear a couple IPs weigh in on this.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    So you're saying that the time from when I fill the form out to when MSP actually looks at the form now counts as part of my 30 days?

I'd like to hear a couple IPs weigh in on this.

No, that is not what I am saying. I will lay out a timeline for you.

March 1 - 1st application sent in.
    April 1 - 2nd application sent in. Answer no to question 15.
    May 1 - MSP gets around to the 1st application and it is approved.
    June 1 - MSP gets around to the 2nd application and it is approved.

At no time have you applied for a regulated firearm within 30 days of another application and at not time have you picked up regulated firearm within 30 days or a prior pickup.

What MSP is tracking is the last approval given to you and they are making sure they stagger each approval by 30 days unless you are a Designated Collector.

Edit to add: Your 30 days starts when you pickup the regulated firearm. However, MSP is using the "not disapproved" date as that date. So, they are just going to make sure that the approval/pickup date is staggered by at least 30 days. If you wait 30 days between applications and the MSP backlog NEVER gets any shorter, they will be getting to each of your applications 30 days apart from one another.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Of course, you can wait 60 days now, pickup your regulated firearm, fill out another app for your 2nd regulated firearm 30 days later, and then wait another 60 days for approval on that one. A 5 month wait for two regulated firearms should be fine for most.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    So basically you can apply while another one is still in the pipeline as long as it's been 30 days since the last one.

The question i'm interested in is: could your applications be... say 25 days apart as long as your pickups are 30 days apart?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    FYI. Rose was recently promoted to the position of Director of the firearms division, so you were talking to the top dog. She's always been a pretty good egg.

Yeah, she was extremely nice and she actually sent me an e-mail asking me to call her. She returned my telephone call/voicemail within 24 hours. I will say that I am impressed with the response time given everything they are dealing with right now.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    So basically you can apply while another one is still in the pipeline as long as it's been 30 days since the last one.

The question i'm interested in is: could your applications be... say 25 days apart as long as your pickups are 30 days apart?

Yeah, I am not going to push the envelope. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. I'll wait 31 days between applications. If they maintain the same backlog here for a while, the approvals should come every 30+ days anyway.

tristan1127

Feb 28, 2013
    Md
    What I am looking for is an explanation of the two guns in 60 days period. I seem to remember that there was some law stating that you could buy two guns at a time but had to wait 60 days or something like that. I am not sure at all and that is why I am bringing it up. Does anyone have some legitimate input on it?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    What I am looking for is an explanation of the two guns in 60 days period. I seem to remember that there was some law stating that you could buy two guns at a time but had to wait 60 days or something like that. I am not sure at all and that is why I am bringing it up. Does anyone have some legitimate input on it?

(a) Requirements. -- Notwithstanding § 5-128(b) of this subtitle, a person may purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30-day period if:

(1) the person applies for and the Secretary approves a multiple purchase; and

(2) (i) the purchase of the regulated firearms is for a private collection or a collector series;

(ii) the purchase of the regulated firearms is a bulk purchase from an estate sale;

(iii) 1. the purchase of not more than two regulated firearms is a multiple purchase to take advantage of a licensee's discounted price available only for a multiple purchase; and

2. the purchaser is prohibited from purchasing a regulated firearm during the following 30-day period unless approved under item (i) or (ii) of this item; or

(iv) the purchase is for other purposes similar to items (i) through (iii) of this item.

(b) Application. --

(1) The application for a multiple purchase shall:

(i) list the regulated firearms to be purchased;

(ii) state the purpose of the purchase of more than one regulated firearm in a 30-day period;

(iii) be witnessed by a licensee or designated law enforcement agency; and

(iv) be signed under the penalty of perjury by the firearm applicant.

(2) The application for a multiple purchase of regulated firearms shall be attached to a completed firearm application and forwarded to the Secretary by a licensee or designated law enforcement agency.

(c) Background investigation. -- On receipt of the firearm application and the application for a multiple purchase, the Secretary shall conduct a background investigation as required in § 5-121 of this subtitle.

(d) Penalty. -- A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $ 5,000 or both.

That above is the actual law. There are 3 situations where a multiple purchase is allowed.

1) If you are a designated collected
    2) If you are buying a bunch of them from an estate sale, or
    3) If you are buying 2, and no more than 2, to take advantage of a reduced price by an FFL.

Twenty4

Not Disapproved
    Mar 4, 2013
    A stone's throw from BWI
    If you are not a Designated Collector: Have you taken possession of or applied to purchase a regulated firearm within the past thirty (30) days. If yes, give date __/__/__.

So my answer to this would be no, since I last applied on 02/21 but have yet to take delivery.

I will be filling out paperwork for another item tomorrow, just want to make sure I answer it truthfully.

I sent my DC form in last week so, that should take care of all future issues.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    So my answer to this would be no, since I last applied on 02/21 but have yet to take delivery.

I will be filling out paperwork for another item tomorrow, just want to make sure I answer it truthfully.

Yep, that would be correct. My first regulated application was completed 2/26. Still waiting. The 2nd batch of paperwork was completed on 4/2. I answered "NO" to question 15. In another 30 days from yesterday, I will fill out another Form 77R and if I still have not picked up, I will answer "NO" again, or if I have actually picked up I will put in the date that I picked up the first one. Kind of crazy that I will be filling out my 3rd application before I might even pickup the regulated firearm from the first application.

Hoping my Designated Collector approval comes before that though.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Have you tried that yet? and did it work?

Well, I did try it and I was able to pick up my first regulated firearm back in early May. The paperwork on that one was dated February 16. Still waiting on the one I submitted paperwork for on April 4th or April 5th. Thing is, I am picking up that one and several others on Friday because my FFL is one of the 8 day release FFL's. Plus, between then and now I went ahead and applied for Designated Collector status and received my letter in the mail in April. So, on Friday I get to pick up 10 regulated firearms.

On top of that, my wife got me two of the Ultimate Collector Series Star Wars Lego sets for Father's Day. It looks like it is going to be a pretty good Father's Day weekend. Even have ammo for some of the new guns.

By the way, MSP still is a week or two away from April 5, 2013 paperwork. So, I would have been looking at 70+ days easily on a first review. Lord help you if you are in the 2nd review pile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom