• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Any Maryland residents have a Maine non-resident permit?

I'm applying for mine and wanted to know if my Maryland State Police video I had to watch to buy here would be ok for the training requirement for Maine's permit. I think I will call them tomorrow and ask, but wanted to find out if anyone else was successful with just that.

What about other New England states? I think CT and NH are shall issue for non-residents as well. VT you don't need a permit to carry (nice) and MA is much like MD from what I have read. Can anyone confirm or comment on the states between MD and ME for non-residents?

Am I correct in understanding that as long as I have a ME permit I can travel from MD to ME through every state between as long as the firearm is unloaded and holstered in a separate compartment per Federal transport law?

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    You are correct on VT. They have no CCW laws. Anyone who can legally own a firearm can CCW in VT. NH law has changed since I lived there... At one time, you had to be a permit holder in your home state before they would issue you a non-resident. I don't believe that to be true anymore... I think now, as long as you have a non-res permit from another state, they will issue you a non-res for NH as well. I texted a buddy of mine who lives in NH and has a CCW there to double check...

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    You are correct on VT. They have no CCW laws. Anyone who can legally own a firearm can CCW in VT. NH law has changed since I lived there... At one time, you had to be a permit holder in your home state before they would issue you a non-resident. I don't believe that to be true anymore... I think now, as long as you have a non-res permit from another state, they will issue you a non-res for NH as well. I texted a buddy of mine who lives in NH and has a CCW there to double check...

I posted the NH NR Form in my last post.

No Permit required from your state of residence, only that you possess a permit.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Am I correct in understanding that as long as I have a ME permit I can travel from MD to ME through every state between as long as the firearm is unloaded and holstered in a separate compartment per Federal transport law?

YOu do not need a ME permit to travel through the states by federal law, however NY state is a bitch. While there is a federal law which supercedes NY law on this, NY says for handguns you have to be going to an NRA sanctioned shooting event if you do not have a NY license, but only if you have proof you are entered in the event.
    There are court cases going on, or there were, about how people switching planes in Laguardia or in NYC or something getting charged with possession of a handgun without a NY license even though they were following federal law completely. I think some or all cases have been kicked out of court, but I am not sure.

Bascially, just transport as per federal law and drive carefully through NY and stay the hell out of NYC.

I am not a lawyer of course.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    ME cashed my check on Wednesday so I hope that means they accepted my application. I haven't heard anything either way. I am very eager to get it before Christmas so I can CCW for the first time in my life when we visit the in-laws. I would think they wouldn't cash the check if there was a problem.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    ME cashed my check on Wednesday so I hope that means they accepted my application. I haven't heard anything either way. I am very eager to get it before Christmas so I can CCW for the first time in my life when we visit the in-laws. I would think they wouldn't cash the check if there was a problem.
    Not to rain on your parade but the application clearly states that the FEE is an Application Fee.

In other words you are paying them to process your application....not for a Positive Result to the application.

They will take your money whether or not they approve the App.

The good news is that its an indication that they are actually DOING something with your application....or at least putting the revenue into their coffers.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Now is the appropriate use of the term WOOT!

Just called ME State police asking for status of my non-resident application and the nice lady said that it was schedule to be sent out next week. :party29:

This would be my first CCW permit and I am very excited about it. Now if that federal reciprocity bill would just pass...:innocent0

It is going to be very weird next time we visit the in-laws leaving the house with a loaded gun on my hip.

Now I need to research conceal holsters. Any recommendations?

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    :party29:

Today in the mail I received my very first CCW permit issued by the state of Maine!

I cannot wait to visit the in-laws now (how many of you guys can say that?)

Next up, is Florida.

Also, the "training requirement" for the non-resident Maine permit was satisfied by the MD State Police firearms safety video that I had to watch in order to purchase here in MD.

The sphinx

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2013
    Delaware
    I sent my app in for maine recently I was wondering if anyone else has got a maine permit recently? If so how long was the wait? Apparently they have a 150 day backlog

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Maine permit process for CCW has you jump through the many prossess similiar to other states. I had a Maine CCW when I was a resident. Interesting issue at time, they meant concealed. There was no law against open carry. Lots of attempts by MASSHOLE transplants to change that and not sure if they were ever successful. I preferred to conceal carry so I went for permit. Oh, and open carry without CCW would not allow you to carry in vehcile in Maine.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I posted the NH NR Form in my last post.

No Permit required from your state of residence, only that you possess a permit.

NH has changed recently to requiring a home state permit so you will be SOL w/out a MD permit. NH is being sued by a NJ firearms group over the matter. I hope it gets resolved in our favor.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Maine permit process for CCW has you jump through the many prossess similiar to other states. I had a Maine CCW when I was a resident. Interesting issue at time, they meant concealed. There was no law against open carry. Lots of attempts by MASSHOLE transplants to change that and not sure if they were ever successful. I preferred to conceal carry so I went for permit. Oh, and open carry without CCW would not allow you to carry in vehcile in Maine.

Maine really has no hoops now. Fill out the forms, copy of required documentation, mail it off with a check for $60, wait a few months, permit in hand.

If you want hoops, see Connecticut.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    :party29:

Today in the mail I received my very first CCW permit issued by the state of Maine!

I cannot wait to visit the in-laws now (how many of you guys can say that?)

Next up, is Florida.

Also, the "training requirement" for the non-resident Maine permit was satisfied by the MD State Police firearms safety video that I had to watch in order to purchase here in MD.

You got lucky because my app was kicked back because my live fire training that I used to get Florida was more than 5 years old and the MD training card was no good. My MD training card still has the instructor signature from back in the day before the online course. I'm hoping when I do the Utah permit I can reapply for Maine.

The sphinx

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2013
    Delaware
    You got lucky because my app was kicked back because my live fire training that I used to get Florida was more than 5 years old and the MD training card was no good. My MD training card still has the instructor signature from back in the day before the online course. I'm hoping when I do the Utah permit I can reapply for Maine.

Maine will accept the utah training certificate

The sphinx

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2013
    Delaware
    Lol I just realized how old this thread is. My question was the first post in it since 2009. I googled maine wait time and came across this

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I downloaded the Maine packet. For hunting up there, you don't need one to carry, but otherwise you do.

Attachments

• ME non-resident application package.pdf
      189.9 KB · Views: 120

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom