The juice: Dumais responds to WaPo, Luiz Simmons responds.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hilpala

Dec 16, 2011
    Ft Washington, MD
    Although there's traces of a silver lining I'm not thrilled with the Hopkins research being a "substantiated" source of data for validity of fingerprinting and licensing. Glad to hear that they are giving actual arms owners a voice or dog in the fight but the whole notion that something will come out of this, contrary to constituents weighing in and pure unbiased data, still worries me and pushes me to fight harder.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    This, while accurate ,didn't really give the true impression....
    ...March 1. Over 1300 people came to Annapolis and signed up to testify – on both sides of the issues...
    I think that Ms. Dumais needs to be reminded what the breakdown was of that 1300+ people:

1307 opposed to the bill
    32 for

From a percentage standpoint it's overwhelming - 97.5% of the people who testified did so in opposition while only 2.5% of those 1339 people supported it.

I think we should email her and remind her of that fact, which by itself IMO speaks volumes.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Although there's traces of a silver lining I'm not thrilled with the Hopkins research being a "substantiated" source of data for validity of fingerprinting and licensing. Glad to hear that they are giving actual arms owners a voice or dog in the fight but the whole notion that something will come out of this, contrary to constituents weighing in and pure unbiased data, still worries me and pushes me to fight harder.

Hopkins is funded by Bloomberg. They produce what ever research he wants them to.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I thought Simmons was a little more open-minded than that. He is in favor of confiscation. He had a really good time shooting when Smigiel took him out. :sad20:

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    Well that was disappointing.

I mean it's a good start that Dumais questions the efficacy of a ban, but magazine capacity restrictions, fingerprinting, training, licensing all seem to be a-ok in her mind.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    Well, they are speaking to their people.

I'm sure their true feelings lie somewhere between what they wrote in that article and what they've leaked to us.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    So Webster was invited to speak, but not Lock? Whose hard data completely contradicts Webster. Did Dumias read "more Guns, Less Crime?" I seriously doubt it after that article. I have zero hope that a magazine ban will be averted, and I think that they have strayed so far from AR's that now that beloved handgun is about to become enemy number one. Honestly, I see no progress from our point of view at all in what she wrote, they are merely transferring all of their ideas from AR's to handguns.

Please correct me if I read this wrong, but I almost though she started to support a complete ban on handguns.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Well, they are speaking to their people.

I'm sure their true feelings lie somewhere between what they wrote in that article and what they've leaked to us.

sorry, i am a skeptic. I think that they favor far stronger legislation behind closed doors and are playing both sides hoping to get rid of us, then hoping they can say well we tried to fight it or watered it down.... I do not believe for one minute Dumais has changed her mind. Or simmons, the hypocrite. Too bad we did not get photos of their hypocrisy when they were shooting.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    So Webster was invited to speak, but not Lock? Whose hard data completely contradicts Webster. Did Dumias read "more Guns, Less Crime?" I seriously doubt it after that article. I have zero hope that a magazine ban will be averted, and I think that they have strayed so far from AR's that now that beloved handgun is about to become enemy number one. Honestly, I see no progress from our point of view at all in what she wrote, they are merely transferring all of their ideas from AR's to handguns.

Please correct me if I read this wrong, but I almost though she started to support a complete ban on handguns.

the handgun has been and always will be enemy #1 in the anti mind. Do you think its a coincidence that a) the "assault rifles" all have a pistol grip; b) before they were the "Brady Campaign" they were "Handgun Control Inc." The only purpose of the assault rifle ban is to soften people up to ban any semi-auto gun with a pistol grip. including pistols themselves. Heller is not respected, and wont be until they get another spanking.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    sorry, i am a skeptic. I think that they favor far stronger legislation behind closed doors and are playing both sides hoping to get rid of us, then hoping they can say well we tried to fight it or watered it down.... I do not believe for one minute Dumais has changed her mind. Or simmons, the hypocrite. Too bad we did not get photos of their hypocrisy when they were shooting.

To them... I say, "Do or do not, there is no try."

one more...

"For when the One Great Scorer comes
    To mark against your name,
    He writes - not that you won or lost -
    But how you played the Game."
    -Grantland Rice.

When we come to mark against their names, we will know how they played the game. We will vote accordingly.

HICAPMAG

Mar 2, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Dumais' statement is all over the board. Her recognition that only 2 gun-related deaths involved rifles is right on, and should lead any logically minded legislator to understand that the AWB is nonsense. In the same interview she seems to be hinting about a law which would ban all such "evil" weapons, even those already owned by Maryland citizens. I really have no idea where she is coming from. :crazy: Since I am in her district, you can be damn sure I will be watching how she votes on this POS.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I read Del. Dumais' letter, and to me it seems like she's venting frustration at the Post for letting people know that she wasn't blindly promoting the party line. That article surely put her in a bind with her voter base. Like Costa's email venting anger at the NRA, elected officials don't like it when their voters see them "making the sausage."

Note that she never indicated that she was willing to be flexible on anything other than the AWB. This letter doesn't seem to change that position. She lists some concerns and some options, but doesn't take a real stand. Keep in mind that given her district and her position on the committee, that's still headway for us.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    To them... I say, "Do or do not, there is no try."

one more...

"For when the One Great Scorer comes
    To mark against your name,
    He writes - not that you won or lost -
    But how you played the Game."
    -Grantland Rice.

When we come to mark against their names, we will know how they played the game. We will vote accordingly.

By then the damage will be done, just look at Obamacare. They were already fired and passed that toilet paper bill anyhow and our wonderful SCOTUS failed to respect the Constitution. Once it's there, the chances to roll back will be slim to none, and slim's not on the ballot.

AimsWellShootsWorse

Mar 2, 2011
    Prince George's County
    Re-posting my dupe here:

Dels. Dumais & Simmons push back on WaPo reports on Md. AWB

On liberal insider blog, Simmons and Dumais offer tremendous insight into their views on pending legislation, especially the "Assault Weapons" Ban. They rebuke WaPo on mis-reporting and simplistic editorials, and chide O'Malley for strong-arming legislators. But they remain very non-committal and suggest that the likely law will be a very, very bitter pill for gun owners.

Of note, she reveals in pointed detail the extent to which Johns Hopkins prof Daniel Webster has been the intellectual architect all along, having conjured the foundation for SB281. Not finger-pointing, but that ought to prompt serious questions about why we have not more vigorously attacked in public his weak scholarship and unreplicated Missouri study in particular.

Pardon my french, but cheer-leading aside, there's a serious sh*t sandwich headed to our table. Every bit as bad as we feared, and maybe even worse. This IS the time---the LAST time---to register our final concerns with our Delegates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom