• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John2510

Feb 15, 2011
    Silver Spring, since 1973
    I hadn't bought a gun since a lot of the current laws went into effect (let alone the coming nonsense). I've been trying to understand how some of it works.

Having stopped by a gun store yesterday and seen the insanity first hand, I figure I'll probably buy from out of state and have it/them shipped to an FFL.

I've pasted the laws on shell casing and integrated locks below, and have a couple of questions.

Locks

For the integrated lock, it looks like I have to buy pre-2003 guns, or ones that have integrated locks(?)

It looks like, for a semi-auto, a safety would meet the definition of a disabling device(?)

I know Taurus is putting in these damned locks, but is everyone?

Shell Casings

This looks to me like it only applies to a manufacturer shipping into Maryland. Why would it apply if an out-of-state dealer ships to a MD FFL?

Otherwise, how is this aspect of the transaction handled when you're buying from out of state?

Thanks.

SAFETY LOCKS

PubSafety §5–132.
    (a) (1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
    (2) “Authorized user” means the owner of a handgun or a person
    authorized by the owner to possess and use the handgun.
    (3) “External safety lock” means an external device that is:
    (i) attached to a handgun with a key or combination lock; and
    (ii) designed to prevent a handgun from being discharged unless the
    device has been deactivated.
    (4) “Handgun” does not include a signal, starter, or blank pistol.
    (5) “Handgun Roster Board” means the Handgun Roster Board established
    under § 5-404 of this title.
    (6) “Integrated mechanical safety device” means a disabling or
    locking device that is:
    (i) built into a handgun; and
    (ii) designed to prevent the handgun from being discharged unless the
    device has been deactivated.
    (7) “Personalized handgun” means a handgun manufactured with
    incorporated design technology that:
    (i) allows the handgun to be fired only by the authorized user; and
    (ii) prevents any of the safety characteristics of the handgun from being
    readily deactivated.

(c) (1) A dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the
    State a handgun manufactured on or before December 31, 2002, unless the
    handgun is sold, offered for sale, rented, or transferred with an external
    safety lock.
    (2) On or after January 1, 2003, a dealer may not sell, offer for sale,
    rent, or transfer in the State a handgun manufactured on or after January
    1, 2003, unless the handgun has an integrated mechanical safety device.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=5-132&ext=html&session=2013RS&tab=subject5

SHELL CASING

PubSafety §5–131.

(b) A manufacturer that ships or transports a handgun for sale, rental,
    or transfer in the State shall include in the box with the handgun in a
    separate, sealed container:
    (1) a shell casing of a projectile discharged from the handgun; and
    (2) additional information that the Secretary requires to identify the
    type of handgun and shell casing.
    (c) (1) On receipt of a handgun from a manufacturer, the dealer shall
    confirm to the Department of State Police that the manufacturer has
    complied with subsection (b) of this section.

(2) On the sale, rental, or transfer of the handgun, the dealer shall
    forward the sealed container to the Department of State Police Crime
    Laboratory.

(d) On receipt of a shell casing and information as required in
    subsection (b) of this section, the Department of State Police Crime
    Laboratory shall enter the information in each relevant database.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=5-131&ext=html&session=2013RS&tab=subject5

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    All new handguns (new handguns only) transferred in Maryland must have the shell casing.

The gun does not have to have a factory integral lock. One from the Maryland approved list will do. The safety DOES NOT meet this requirement.

Most MSP approved locks are 20 to 30 bucks, and if you bring your own you don't have to buy one from the dealer. Check out the lock exchange at MDS to save some money.

If you buy a gun from a original manufacturer that does not provide shell casings, Sig and Taurus spring to mind, any 07 FFL (Manufacturer) can do the test fire and collect the casing for MSP.

Feb 28, 2013
    I thought they scrapped the shell casing deal, because it was proving to be not worth the money, time, or trouble.

As for the locks, didn't that law pass under Glendening the Cradle Robber? I remember that idiot making himself the east end of a westbound horse on TV trying demonstrate the "ease of operation" of one of those, and it didn't go too well.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I thought they scrapped the shell casing deal, because it was proving to be not worth the money, time, or trouble.

As for the locks, didn't that law pass under Glendening the Cradle Robber? I remember that idiot making himself the east end of a westbound horse on TV trying demonstrate the "ease of operation" of one of those, and it didn't go too well.

That was that stupid magazine with a combination lock on the bottom, what a tool.....both of em.

John2510

Feb 15, 2011
    Silver Spring, since 1973
    Thanks.

I guess they decided not to enforce this(?):

"On or after January 1, 2003, a dealer may not sell, offer for sale,
    rent, or transfer in the State a handgun manufactured on or after January
    1, 2003, unless the handgun has an integrated mechanical safety device."

The shell casing law doesn't look like it should apply if you're buying from an out-of-state distributor (versus manufacturer), but I'll defer to your considerable experience on that.

All new handguns (new handguns only) transferred in Maryland must have the shell casing.

The gun does not have to have a factory integral lock. One from the Maryland approved list will do. The safety DOES NOT meet this requirement.

Most MSP approved locks are 20 to 30 bucks, and if you bring your own you don't have to buy one from the dealer. Check out the lock exchange at MDS to save some money.

If you buy a gun from a original manufacturer that does not provide shell casings, Sig and Taurus spring to mind, any 07 FFL (Manufacturer) can do the test fire and collect the casing for MSP.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    The distributor does not supply the spend shell casing - the factory does. The distributor just sells the firearm to dealers, which will already have the case from the factory (usally in the box with the gun).

Most new handguns come with the spend shell case for Maryland & New York. Some companies do not supply the spent round, but as stated before if the FFL holder selling the handgun has a manufacters license, he can fire the gun, and supply the case to MSP.

Some guns have intergral locks- usally a keyed lock inside the grip frame. If it doesnt then you have buy, or borrow, the retarded Omega lock for the particular model you are buying.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    The Omega locks are a workaround the fact that basically all new handguns would have been prohibited under that stupid law. So the MSP decided that certain approved barrel locks are "integrated mechanical safety devices." The statists decided not to fight that as they could still go to their idiot constituents, point to the stupid law, and say "See! I did something!" even though it's really nothing.

As for the fired casings, rumor is that there are many 55 gallon drums filled with uncatalogged fired casings at MSP headquarters. There are no resources to catalog them, and never will be. But the law still requires they be collected, again so slimy politicians can tell idiot voters they did something. Rumor also says they have never been used to solve a single crime.

Anywho, look in my signature for a link to the thread and spreadsheet for the approved lock echange.

lauderman

Mar 5, 2013
    LEXINGTON PARK
    Does anyone on here know whether All Pawn in White Plains is capable of providing a shell casing and do they have the infamous omega lock available there?

railbird

Mar 13, 2013
    Harford County
    Sorry afraid not on the shell casing. All Pawn is an FFL-02 (Pawn dealer in firearms).

A FFL-07 (manufacturer) is required to certify the shell casing.

You can check FFL listings here:
    http://www.atf.gov/about/foia/ffl-list.html

You're hunting for an 07 in column Lic Type

Almost all dealers in Maryland who sell handguns have the locks available. Most are
    reasonable with the price and other than the loaner program here on MDS, you usually
    can't beat the dealers price by much shopping on the internet for locks.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Since no one else mentioned it, used handguns are exempt from the spent casing requirement. Most of my handgun purchases have been out of state and used. The transfer fee will be a little higher but you'll avoid paying taxes on an in-state purchase (and at this point I'm happy not to give anything extra to MD).

Also, make sure your handgun is on the approved roster BEFORE you commit to buy:
    http://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/HandgunRoster.aspx

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Are used handguns exempt from the lock requirement when transferred?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom