• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • simplegreen

Professional Nerd

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    yeh, that is quite sad, but in many places ie. Baltimore they should be handing those out for free you young children. what has this world come to?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    What era is that a surplus of Novus? those things degrade over time, dont think i'd trust my life to one. http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot16.htm

http://www.keepshooting.com/selfdefense/bulletproof-vest/kevlar-body-armor-iia.htm
    Decent price here too... although the description has me paranoid...
    Era? I am not positive, but I think it is 80s. If it is Kevlar, then it should last a lot longer than other vests with less degradation.
    I would not trust it to save my life by iteself, but as they say, some protection is better than nothing (usually) and they sound comfortable. Maybe if one could wear two vests one over the other it would be enough.

In the end, I have to consider the surplus German "Fleck" camo vests to be a bare minimum of ballistic protection which is probably equal (at best) to a level IIA or even as minimal as a level I vest. You sacrifice ballistic protection, but get a fairly high level of comfort, low cost, and of course some satisfaction on owning a military collectible.
    http://savvysurvivor.com.cnchost.com/body_armor_ballistic_tests.htm

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    Era? I am not positive, but I think it is 80s. If it is Kevlar, then it should last a lot longer than other vests with less degradation.
    I would not trust it to save my life by iteself, but as they say, some protection is better than nothing (usually) and they sound comfortable. Maybe if one could wear two vests one over the other it would be enough.

http://savvysurvivor.com.cnchost.com/body_armor_ballistic_tests.htm

spend the money on a real vest and not a FLAK jacket.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    spend the money on a real vest and not a FLAK jacket.

I actually have a flak jacket already. I also have a surplus police issue vest. The flak jacket is more for novelty, but in a pinch I guess it could come in handy.

At the prices of some flak jackets, you can cut them up and use them for other things, or just experiment with them.....or just use them for reenactments or Halloween. They are also cool for show and tell.
    I keep mine on the coffee table as a conversation piece for when company is over and we are having tea and crumpets. :lol2:

But really, I got such a deal on mine that it was worth it to have as an extra. Besides the reasons stated above, if the SHTF, I can let the person with me wear it and it is better than nothing.

By the way, the reason the NIJ does not rate most military vests and flak jackets is because they fail test number one. They cannot have a flap in the front where they connect because that is a weak point. If a police officer is facing a threat, the last thing they want is a weak spot at the center of their torso. So you are correct it is not a good thing to use for protection from a criminal you are facing, but I was planning on using it for hunting during shotgun or muzzloader season where you are more likely to be hit from the back and side.
    (I never went hunting though)

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    They can sell them out of state. You would not be able to pick them up. Of course, maybe he doesn't have any instate and just has another vendor drop ship from their location.

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    They can sell them out of state. You would not be able to pick them up. Of course, maybe he doesn't have any instate and just has another vendor drop ship from their location.

drop ship makes sense. the way i read md's law sale was forbidden in state regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom