• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • akrobatik

Feb 20, 2012
    I visited the New Maryland Small Arms Range (MSAR) in Upper Marlboro, MD today, and my overall opinion is AWESOME!!! :party29:

THE BEST INDOOR range I have been to, which include NRA range.

I arrived around 3pm. Nice location in a industrial area of Upper Marlboro. Located 9801 Fallard Court, Upper Marlboro, MD. Not to far from the old range. Privacy fence as you drive into the complex, and plenty of parking spots. When I walked out of my car, I did not hear anyone shooting like other gun ranges. So sound proofing must have been great!

I walked in and this place is HUGE! I still could not hear gunfire!! A ton of sales viewing stations with a variety of items. First floor was a large showroom with Range check-in, rentals, duty gear, accessories, weapons. The second floor was just as large with uniforms and clothing. They are still moving in, but it looks very nice and spacious.

People were around the entire showroom. They had a lot of staff on deck helping the guests. I saw a few of the gun trainers meeting with their trainees. In the far back, there was office space with glass windows for their staff I believe.

I walked up to the range counter, asked the staff member for a Rifle lane. She asked what I was shooting, I told her .308 Rifle, 12 gauge Shotgun, and a Handgun, and she asked if I need eyes, ears, or targets. I told her no. She then said $15.00 dollars, took my drivers license, and provided me with a Rifle lane. And you can use YOUR OWN AMMO. When I heard the price I said YES!!! I believe it is cheaper if you are military/police. She then informed me how to use the targeting system and how to get to the first Rifle range. Seems like they have 4 separate range rooms. 2 Handgun Range Rooms with 7 25yd lanes (Totaling 14 Handgun lanes), and 2 Rifle Range Rooms with 5 50yd lanes (Totaling 10 Rifles Lanes). Have to go through two double doors to reach the first set of Rifle lanes. Unlike NRA range, I like how they separate Handgun and Rifle shooters. One complaint at the NRA range is from new handgun shooters or kids that do not double-up on their hearing protection, and end up getting placed next to someone with a Shotgun or Rifle.

When I entered the first Rifle Range, I was able to BREATHE!! The ventilation in this place is AWESOME, did not smell gun powder!! They seemed to have floor and ceiling ventilation. And the room temperature was set nice, very warm!! Two other guys were in there. One guy shooting an Shotgun with a MSAR Trainer, and the other guy was shooting an AR and AK. The lanes were separated with tall black privacy sound barriers. The lanes are also very WIDE! I could place both of my bags inside of my lane, and still had plenty of room.

The targeting system was Action Target system, with tabbed fold-over target clips for holding your targets which is great! No more cardboard, staples, or metal clamps causing ricochets! Their Action Targeting system was very responsive. Lighting system available also. You are allowed to shoot Birdshot, Buckshot, and Slug shotgun loads!!! So I let loose... Took a break... Let loose some more with Rifle.. Range Master periodically came in to see if everyone was doing good.

Finished shooting, cleaned my lane, returned my targets for recycling. Decided to hit the elevator to the second floor to look around some more. Saw a staff member showing someone an AR. I believe they were selling the gun. They do have a large vault, and they will be selling a larger variety of firearms including Rifles.

Overall AWESOME experience. Get out there before they make the opening announcement on their Facebook page! Will be back tomorrow!

Last edited:

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    That is awesome, only went up a $1 for lane rental. Also nice to hear that there is a range officer. Definitely got to check it this weekend.

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    Nice! I will have to check it out. So is it $15 all you can shoot? Or what's the pricing breakdown?

akrobatik

Feb 20, 2012
    Nice! I will have to check it out. So is it $15 all you can shoot? Or what's the pricing breakdown?

Yes, $15 for two people the entire day in one lane. Same price as the old place. No time limit was given. If you are Military/Police I believe it is $13 (but dont quote me on that). I believe gun rentals are still $7. There were a few regulars there that rent guns, and they were not complaining. I believe they are still doing their women's free night thing.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Yes, $15 for two people the entire day in one lane. Same price as the old place. No time limit was given. If you are Military/Police I believe it is $13 (but dont quote me on that). I believe gun rentals are still $7. There were a few regulars there that rent guns, and they were not complaining.

thats great!!! :party29:

akrobatik

Feb 20, 2012
    Are the ranges like the NRA where you can position your target any distance you want?

Yes, MSAR range is using the ActionTarget.com system. Allowing you to send the target to your specified yardage. I'm not exactly sure if NRA range is using action target retrieval system, but NRA does use digital keypad automated system. I have had issues with the NRA range system being very laggy at times when sending and retrieving. MSAR actiontarget system is very responsive. See the attachment for MSAR pad. I do like the tabbed target clamps for holding targets at MSAR, first range that I have seen them used.

Attachments

• 198008_384637071621833_1302710995_n.jpg
      198008_384637071621833_1302710995_n.jpg
      75.6 KB · Views: 1,625
    Last edited:

akrobatik

Feb 20, 2012
    damn they could have announced this on there fb page

I stopped by originally at 12pm yesterday to shoot, and they were still preparing the range, so I came back a few hours later. I have a feeling they want to move everything in first, and complete finishing touches (like remove paper signs, add welcome mats, signs etc), before they announce it to Facebook. You can still tell they are still prepping the interior.

pasayan73

May 31, 2009
    laurel, md
    Just came from the new MSAR. That place is huge!!! Went to shoot my ruger 10/22 and zeroed my eotech on my AR. Pistol and rifle ranges are separate. Don't know about the pistol range but there are two rifles ranges 5 lanes each. Only one is open.
    The rifle range is up to 50 yds. Good thing. The retrieval target system is ok. Not as good as the NRA, IMO. Piece of advice, if you are going to sight in rifles bring a small chair. I did it on a kneeling position. No range officer inside. That's what I don't like in MSAR. I have to bag my rifles and brought it with me outside to buy more Ammos and targets cuz I don't trust some folks shooting in there. Other than that, the new range is a major upgrade from the old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom