• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    *WARNING: PIC HEAVY*

Thanks to fellow member yellowsled, I traded for my first M44. I'll be the first to admit, it's rough. But I've been wanting to try one of these cleaning and light restoration projects and so-far it looks like it's a tough one. Tons of Cosmo, rust issues, and plenty of crud in the nooks and crannies. I'm about halfway done now (bolt and barreled receiver are finished) and will keep you all posted on the progress.

M44-1_zpspoxcghwq.jpg

M44-2_zpscs7zp82y.jpg

M44-3_zps1itkubxm.jpg

M44-4_zpsfpgfkvro.jpg

M44-5_zps0vd3zc7t.jpg

M44-7_zps487hmpwr.jpg

M44-8_zpss0ypjr0z.jpg

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    For the rust I used 0000 steel wool and Bar and Chain oil. For the cosmo I liberally applied Mineral Spirits. It worked quite well for me.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Bore looks very bright with strong rifling. Just was caked in cosmo and crud. Took an hour to get it running clean patches.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Here's the only post-cleaning shot you'll get tonight. I'll get on more once I'm further along in getting it up to my par and spec. Barreled receiver and bolt. I apologize for the poor quality but it IS late and I want to highlight just how MUCH of that crud was cosmoline and dirt, not rust.

M44-9_zps47hejd2d.jpg

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    There is pitting on the bottom of the barrel. I'm curious to know at what point does one worry about barrel integrity and is it more an issue near the chamber or any place in the barrel?

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    There is pitting on the bottom of the barrel. I'm curious to know at what point does one worry about barrel integrity and is it more an issue near the chamber or any place in the barrel?

Good question. I wondered this about mine as well, although I have shot it.

Crazy how the bore is in great shape but the outside of the barrel is so pitted. It had sand/dirt trapped between the barrel and the stock on my T53

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Well I've finished cleaning the rifle up and decided to save stripping the stock for later. So here's the pictures of the rifle assembled after I touched it up. Don't mind the cosmetic rust, it's only cosmetic.

M44-P1_zpsujrar1x9.jpg

M44-P2_zpsqhwgtjat.jpg

M44-P3_zpsy6cezy8k.jpg

M44-P4_zpsfwv5btgp.jpg

M44-P5_zpslmwjkk7h.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818