• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tenn870

Jun 14, 2010
    Western MD
    hey guys I know this may have been covered a few times but I cannot find the exact information I am looking for so I am going to start a new thread.

I want to build an AR pistol and dont know any legal specifications that I need to follow.

1- is there a certain length I have to have the barrel or is it just anything under 16'

2- what lower can I use and do I have to register it as a pistol, I have 2 lowers that were purchased per 10/1 as stripped lowers

3- whats the shortest buffer tube on the market?

thanks for any info I really appreciate it!

precisionfire

May 20, 2011
    Martinsburg WV
    No, There is no provision for AR lowers to be registered as pistols in MD and the MD roster has no AR lower listed as AR lowers are not classed as pistols or rifles, but as receivers. It is my understanding that you may build your own pistol in MD but it may be sticky if you sell it someone else in MD.

To answer first post:

1- is there a certain length I have to have the barrel or is it just anything under 16'

Barrel length is not a legal consideration in a pistol. It just cannot have a stock or Forward Pistol Grip. Due to my experience, 7.5 inches is about as short as works well. 10.5 if you going to suppress it now or later due to warranty issues with suppressors when used with shorter barrels

3- whats the shortest buffer tube on the market?

Dont fall for the shortest. The shortest ones use odd buffers and springs that rarely work or are very finicky about barrel length, gas ports, gas lengths, and ammo. PWS has a very good buffer tube and works well with the SIG Arm Brace.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

It's been covered, but the length of the barrel has no bearing on it being a pistol or not. The defining features of it being a pistol are lack of a shoulder stock and lack of a vertical foregrip.

2- what lower can I use and do I have to register it as a pistol, I have 2 lowers that were purchased per 10/1 as stripped lowers

You can use any legally owned pre-Oct 1st lower that was transferred to you as "Other" on the 4473 and has never been assembled as a rifle.

If your going to build an AR pistol does the lower have to be on the MD Handgun Roster?

No. The Handgun Roster only defines handguns that may legally be transferred (sold, given, etc) within the state of MD. If you build it for personal use it is never sold or transferred so the roster does not come in to play. You're only legally allowed to manufacture firearms for personal use without becoming a licensed manufacturer anyhow. Federal law defines this, and while it doesn't say that you can't later sell a gun that you made for personal use, if they decide that you're doing it as a business they can charge you.

duck2621

Sep 4, 2013
    e2apumup.jpg

Finally got my lower done. Now just trying to get my upper parts list together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom