• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RugerFan

Jul 18, 2013
    Silver Spring
    Hello all-

I went ahead and put a great new scope (Weaver 4x) on my Ruger 10/22 Takedown that had been very patiently waiting in its little black bag for me to finally mount a scope.

On my third trip out shooting, I noticed the (Weaver) mounts have loosened and the scope is no longer tightly fastened. Anyone familiar with 10/22's know's that we're talking TEENY little screws (i.e. this is a direct mount with no Weaver rail). The instructions with the mounting rings mentioned the optional use of Loctite or similar thread-locking compound. I swung by my local hdware store (Strosniders) and they only have the 'red' loctite, not the blue (#242) which I have been told is best for gun applications (i.e. small screws and shock vibration).

My question is, should go ahead and order the blue Loctite online, or is there another, simpler answer? What about something like a drop of good old Elmer's glue...I would think that the mild hold (meaning I can undo the screws in the future if I want) and 'plasticy-elasticity' (great name for a band, BTW) quality of the glue might be perfect for this application.

Thoughts? Any other suggestions? Seems crazy to go online and pay shipping for a little tube of blue LocTite...

Thanks to all in advance...

RF

FFJim

Apr 27, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    I can't give you the total answer you are looking for but do have some input if you are interested.

First, have you tried a local Home Depot? They usually have Loctite but it is with the caulk in the painting section.

Second, be careful with whatever you use. I suggest disassembly to include removing the bolt. The screw holes go thru into the receiver. Anything put into them has the potential to go into the receiver and get into/onto something you want to continue moving!

Hope this helps.

PS - I would use Loctite. :)

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I concur with Jim. Use blue, it's not hard to come by, and is by far the best option.

Use brake cleaner or similar on the screws and threads on the receiver to flush away any oil as that will prevent the loctite from properly adhering.

RugerFan

Jul 18, 2013
    Silver Spring
    Thanks for the replies. I have been doing further research online and seeing people also suggesting that clear nail polish is even better than blue LocTite. Thoughts on that?

Though I'll probably just hit a Home Depot tomorrow for the blue LocTite...

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I concur with Jim. Use blue, it's not hard to come by, and is by far the best option.

Use brake cleaner or similar on the screws and threads on the receiver to flush away any oil as that will prevent the loctite from properly adhering.

You won't beat the advice above. Ditto from me. Make sure the screw threads and holes are free of grease. Pipe cleaners work well for cleaning the holes. Use blue Loctite or Permatex. I know Wally World stocks Permatex.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    The best loctite for small scope mount is loctite purple. But that stuff is very hard to find anywhere these days.

Next best thing is loctite blue. But loctite blue is intended for larger fasteners, that just require handtools to loosen.

I would not use loctite red, you WILL need heat if you ever need to remove those mounts.

Loctite green is self wicking, and intended to be used with fasteners already or close to being tightened.

As others state - degrease the screws, and mounting holes. Brake clean works pretty good for this, but be careful, some finishes (gun stocks etc) can be harmed if it gets brake clean on it.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I use the blue loctite that is in a tube like lipstick. It is not liquid. Just brush the threads against it. That is far less sloppy than the liquid that drips everywhere. YMMV.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    DO NOT USE RED (aka 272, 277 or similar). It is for PERMANENTLY mounting things. You can take things apart, but it requires heat and may damage the fasteners.

I use blue (242, etc) for most everything, even small screws on RC helicopters that make gun screws look huge. :)

Also, only use a TINY amount. I put a drop on a piece of plastic and just touch the edge of the tip of the screw into the Loctite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom