• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    I'm looking at a Christmas present for reloading 9mm and maybe 223 later. Any thoughts on the Dillon RL 550B? I plan to load around 2000 to 4000 9mm rounds per year.

Any extras I might want to consider buying for the Dillon 550B?

Any suggestions on where to buy bullets? I shoot a Glock so I don't think I can shoot lead surfaced bullets.

Any suggestions on where to stock up on once fired brass?

I plan on buying the powder and primers at large gun shows.

Any idea how much it costs per round when reloading?

Thanks,
    Eric

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'm looking at a Christmas present for reloading 9mm and maybe 223 later. Any thoughts on the Dillon RL 550B? I plan to load around 2000 to 4000 9mm rounds per year.

Any extras I might want to consider buying for the Dillon 550B?

Any suggestions on where to buy bullets? I shoot a Glock so I don't think I can shoot lead surfaced bullets.

Any suggestions on where to stock up on once fired brass?

I plan on buying the powder and primers at large gun shows.

Any idea how much it costs per round when reloading?

Thanks,
    Eric

Did you read the sticky on the Dillon? Most of the answers you are looking for are in that.

Bullets you can get in bulk from numerous retailers like MidwayUSA, Powder Valley, Natchez Shooters Supply, etc...

Do a search of the web for bulk once fired brass. That is the easiest way to get it. Otherwise you stare collection your own cases at the range.

As for the cost per round, that depends greatly on the components that you wish to use. If you use expensive components, your reloads will be very expensive. If you use cheap components your reloads will be cheap.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    A 550 is good. A 650 is better if you're getting a case feeder.

I use precision billets.com for polymer coated lead bullets. They do not lead like bare lead and are pretty cheap. Blue bullets are similar and you can sometimes get them on sale. Both work well in glocks.

I buy once fired brass from guys on forums.

It cost between 9 and 10 cents a round using my own brass. Add three or 4 cents a round if you are buying once fired.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also look at cost benefit. Setting up a 550 or 650 for two cartridges, with separate heads and powder measures is not cheap.

2000 - 4000 rounds per year is about 2 -5 hour reloading per year.

You might be just as well served by a single stage or turret press. Which will still have uses if you move to a Dillon as your shooting increases.

I love my Dillon, but they are WAY overkill for a fairly low volume shooter. Like buying a Ferrari to drive to the corner store once a month. :)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Pinecone beat me to it. 2-4K per year comes out to 2-300 per month. Certainly within the capabilities of a single stage. Or of course my frequent recomendation of a Turret press for a bit more speed , but still easy cal changes and varying of loads.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    just get the 550 B you wont be sorry. as far as a turret press or single stage (Turd) . Spend your money once and done.

I am also into hot rods I have never heard anyone say "I wish I had less horse power"
    Just buy the better machine and be happy instead of thinking about saving a dime.

If you plane on shooting LONG range past 300 yds with that 223 now you might want a Good single stage but that's a whole another post.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Progressive or single stage ?? Dillon sells the BL 550, a rotating shell plate, changeable tool head press upgradeable to a progressive RL 550B configuration.

Average 3000 rounds per year is 250 rds/month. This indicates, especially with 9mm and 223 greater shooting quantities may ensue.

Single stage press will take about an hour per 50. 5 hours of reloading per month once the bench is set up.

Progressive RL 550B will give you 500 pistol rounds in a hour. Make that about 300 rounds of 223 because of the case lubing unless you are bag, spray and shake lubing.

Bulk bullets typically are sold in 500 round lots. Primers in 1000 piece bricks. 1 brick of primers, 2 bulks of bullets and two hours will get you shooting for 4 months.

While I don't have access to long ranges, working on that, I have built a couple loads and run them in my progressive, using a powder measure which are sub MOA out to 200 yards. I'll go with what MtAiry indicates about longer than 300 yards, he's informed.

Tactical Patriot

Jan 22, 2010
    I bang out a lot of reloads with my lee single stage press, I'm happy with it. If I was new to reloading I would probably buy the RCBS rock chucker supreme master reloading kit. I saw some black Friday deals for around $250.

bigalf

Apr 1, 2012
    Fort Meade
    I got a Hornady lnl ap. 400 from amazon and get get 500 bullets. I did a lot of comparison between red and blue. in the end I liked the auto indexing of the hornady. and you also have the ability to add a case/bullet feeder down the road. I also think the Dillion costs more when changing calibers. I also liked the powder measure on the hornady. your welcome to come check out mine if you like. I'm in AA county.
    and as far as lead out of a glock/polygonal rifling look powder coating.

730dc

Mar 11, 2013
    150 + the cost of your dies. IMO, knowing that it will work and has the lifetime warranty, is worth the cost.

no its only about $50 for the caliper swap. now if you want a new tool head and powder measure that is another $100 plus the $50 or so depending on brand of dies you decide to go with.

go with the 550 or 650 . if you listen to some of these people that say single stage you will hate your life when reload that 2000-5000rd mean you have to touch that piece of brass 8000- 20,000 times to complete the 4 stages (Size / flare /seat /crimp)

i started with lee single stage and would recomend anyone that reloading pistol rd to get progressive ideally a progressive with case feeder like dillon 650.

730dc

Mar 11, 2013
    also price wise it all depend on what you pay for supply powder is pretty hard to find for last year or so . use to cost $18 now cost $28 . buy the polymer coated bullet from bayou bullets or another vender that sells the coated hard cast bullets. 9mm to reload with coated bullets should be around $100-$110 for 1000rd

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I don't agree. Spending $1000 - $1500 for a Dillion 650 with case feeder, to load less than 5000 rounds per year is a bit nuts. If you can afford it, go for it, but for MOST people, an RCBS/Lyman/Hornady setup is much more cost effective. And if you get a turret press, you don't handle the cases for each step.

And if you get into precision rifle, you will probably find you still want a single stage or turret for that use.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    All great answers above.

I'd also recommend you take a look at a Lee Classic Turret Press. Many of us started out on them and still use one. It is cheap, effective, and much faster than a single stage press. Should handle your volume of reloading and a fair bit more without too much more time than a progressive Dillon. Personally, I also feel it is safer to start reloading on a single stage or turret press before going to a progressive if you feel it becomes necessary.

Primers and powder I try to find locally to avoid hazmat charges. I have a lot of good luck at Greentop in Richmond and various stores in PA. Xtreme bullets is my go to for 9mm and 223 plinking bullets. For .223 accuracy, I'd look at a heavy (77 grains for 1/7 twist or 62 for 1/9) v-max bullet.

For once fired brass, feel free to shoot me a PM with how much you'd like. I'd be willing to sell some and it has all been tumbled all ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    +1 for the Lee classic turret. I can safely make 200 rounds of 9mm in an hour. To add a new caliber you just get another turret head for $10 and a die set and your ready to rock,I'm about to start 45acp and add 308 after Xmas. There are a few more things to add for rifle rounds though like a case trimmer and double disk set for the powder measure. Its also small enough that I mounted mine to a 10" wide 2 1/2" thick piece of oak so can set it up when I need it but it doesn't take up all of my room. I would suggest upgrading the beam scale, the one in the kit is kind of cheesy and I don't trust it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom