• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Hello all,

I live in zip code 21015. I am looking to bury around 800 feet of invisible fence line. About 50 feet is going to have to be under a driveway, so it will have to be cut and repaired. Please let me know when you could do the work and what it would cost me. Thanks.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    If you wanted to do it your self .......

How thick is the wire ? If it is no thicker the a saw blade just rent a saw cut a groove in the driveway then lay the wire in it and patch it with Sakrete driveway patch in the caulk tube .

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    If you wanted to do it your self .......

How thick is the wire ? If it is no thicker the a saw blade just rent a saw cut a groove in the driveway then lay the wire in it and patch it with Sakrete driveway patch in the caulk tube .

This is what the previous owner of my house did...Of couse he also couldn't measure a square line, so I have a crooked ass patch across my driveway :lol2:

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    you can dig a hole on each side of the driveway and pound a 3/4 inch pipe from one side to the other. then use a 1/4 piece to run through and knock the dirt out of the 3/4 inch piece, then run the wire through to complete the circuit. No cutting of the driveway.

I was going to do the above but lucked out and was able to use an expansion joint and pushed the wire to the bottom of the joint to complete the circuit.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Myself and my B-n-law did our inlaws in a day like you speak of. We just used a spade and stab it in and wiggle open a trough. He would lay the wire in and step it closed. We took turns on the spade. When we hit the asphalt driveway we put a masonry blade on the circular saw and duck tape on the slide on the saw. Cut a 3/8" cut and asphalt caulked it closed. We wire nutted wire roll connections and sealed them in a plastic bag with silicon glue. Left it above ground until it cured good and buried it later.

If you want to do it the easy way rent and E-Z Trench wire layer.

ABC RENTAL CENTER
    410-381-5111

I did an acre and it was time consuming, but easy.
    For the grass, I used an edger, which went ~2 inches down. For the asphalt driveway, I used a circular saw with a masonry blade. I covered that with driveway patch.
    The biggest time consumer is getting the wire in the ground. I used a wooden yardstick, on my knees- a whole acre, 3' at a time.
    I highly recommend spending a hundred bucks and renting an easy trencher. You will save a LOT of time by not having to manually bury the cable.

Don't forget to call Miss Utility. You would be surprised what is only a few inches underground (Verizon, Comcast, et al).

You are welcome to use my edger if you want it. I'm in Pikesville, 21208.

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    I watched the crew bury FiOS cable yesterday. They could have used a vibratory plow, but they didn't want to, and mess up the grass. They just plunged a spade in the ground, wiggled it a little, and buried the cable.

They dug two pits on either side of the driveway and used a pneumatic ram. There's no reason you couldn't use the pipe, as mentioned above. I would use sections of threaded pipe with couplings. Put a coupling on the pipe, and hammer. Add a short section of pipe, add a coupling and hammer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom