• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    FYI
    The difference between 100g and 50g at 50 yards on both mine and my dads CVA is only about an inch if that. You can save powder and cleanup (my dad uses whitehots) by using a reduced load. I have the plinker all lead sabots for the first few shots when sighting in. Have already helped a few others sighting in that way. The plinker bullets only pay off after a few times needing to sight in or if you have really bad trouble. Have someone stand behind you or shoot at 25 first if you feel the need to save ammo costs.

Good luck

Donald1818

Aug 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    FYI
    The difference between 100g and 50g at 50 yards on both mine and my dads CVA is only about an inch if that. You can save powder and cleanup (my dad uses whitehots) by using a reduced load. I have the plinker all lead sabots for the first few shots when sighting in. Have already helped a few others sighting in that way. The plinker bullets only pay off after a few times needing to sight in or if you have really bad trouble. Have someone stand behind you or shoot at 25 first if you feel the need to save ammo costs.

Good luck

have you ever chronographed the different load charges?
    i have a chrono but have not yet played with that aspect yet.

oh and i did get some lead plinkers when i purchased the sabots.

when shooting sabots, how frequently would you recommend cleaning?

Thanks
    don

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    At the end of each shooting session.

Modern BP equivalents aren't as hygroscopic as real BP, but it will still cause problems if not attended to.

And you should pay more attention to bullet weight/powder charge/groups than bullet speed.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    have you ever chronographed the different load charges?
    i have a chrono but have not yet played with that aspect yet.

oh and i did get some lead plinkers when i purchased the sabots.

when shooting sabots, how frequently would you recommend cleaning?

Thanks
    don

I chrono'd it once. but as mentioned, not a big concern since I was below max charge. I started with White hot pellets then went to BlackHorn 209. I could get away with no cleaning for 5 shots and POI was same as cold bore shot. With white hots I had to clean with 1 wet and 2 dry between shots and let cool otherwise POI dropped a few inches from Clean cold bore shot.
    I never worked up a load for the CVA cause with 100g it was darn good to begin with.

JWBanshee

Jul 1, 2009
    I have a TC Omega, shoot 100 grs by volume, not weight or 72.6 grains by weight with the Harvester 325 gold black crushed rib sabot, shoots awesome. to clean the plastic sabot resdiue, i use sabot plastic remover from brownells, it stinks, bot is works great. My 1187 has to be cleaned after 5 shots, or POI satrts moving all over the place.

quickdraw17

I'd rather be shooting...
    Jun 24, 2013
    I've had a TC Black Diamond since 2001. I've used several loads over the years, but my go to right now is 200 grain shockwave sabots over 100 grains of pyrodex. It gives me nearly 1 MOA accuracy, and shoots pretty flat. That being said, every gun is different, and you just have to try different combinations to see what works for you. My dad's TC Triumph really does well with 250 grain shockwave sabots over 100 grains of pyrodex, a load that my Black Diamond didn't seem to like. In either case, I do like the shockwave sabots, both my father, brother and myself have all shot deer using them, and they've all gone down with a single shot.

I've never had a problem with plastic fouling, I use TC foaming muzzleloader cleaner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom