• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Basically, this.

The CK901 has been announced, it should be available at some point in the non-too-distant future. Would it be legal in MD under current laws?

Action is totally different from AK - it's DI in fact - so nothing derived/copied there... Upper is not AR-15 pattern - if the CK is based off the existing CM901, then the larger uppers that don't require the CM adapter cannot be compatible with normal AR-15 uppers.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Supposing we hold the line during the next legislative session, it should still be legal here.

If a firearm isn't already named on the banned list, is 29" or longer, and doesn't have 2 of the below, it's legal:
    1. Flash hider
    2. Folding stock
    3. Grenade launcher

It would be a pretty good F-U to the pushers of SB281, lol.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Sounds promising. This might be my way in to use milsurp M43.

I do wonder how well their DI implementation will handle laquered steel case but that's not exactly a 2A issue.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    Similar to the Rock River LAR-47 that came out a few years back. Neat idea, I like guns without special magazines

I don't think it ever actually came out... just got announced. It's still listed as "preorder" on their website so, after all this time has passed, I'm sure it's a vaporware product. I was sort of interested in it, since it takes standard AK mags, but this Colt looks like a much better bet.

Mobile

Dec 30, 2011
    Knights Armament made something similar years ago, before Rock River's. Only a handful were made (as far as we outsiders know, anyway) and they were bought by SOCOM.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I don't think it ever actually came out... just got announced. It's still listed as "preorder" on their website so, after all this time has passed, I'm sure it's a vaporware product. I was sort of interested in it, since it takes standard AK mags, but this Colt looks like a much better bet.

I never did see one in person, just saw them online. You may be correct my good man

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The price will probably be in line with a 6920 unless you can put a 5.56 upper on it (with some sort of mag well adapter like the LE901)
    Not a chance it's under $2000. Maybe Colt will knock a couple hundred off of it in comparison to the CM901, but they're not going to sell it for half the cost when it's 90% the same rifle.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Frosh, our next AG, has already stated that he is willing to go beyond the letter of the law to get done what he wants done so no, this gun will not be legal in MD even if it is not specifically called out in the law.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Frosh, our next AG, has already stated that he is willing to go beyond the letter of the law to get done what he wants done so no, this gun will not be legal in MD even if it is not specifically called out in the law.

if it's Cash and Carry ( what else does MD have) buy it in another state :D

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Not a chance it's under $2000. Maybe Colt will knock a couple hundred off of it in comparison to the CM901, but they're not going to sell it for half the cost when it's 90% the same rifle.

90% the same rifle? As far as I know the CM901 is full auto, the civilian version is the LE901. If this CK901 is not modular like the LE901, it will probably be more in line price wise with the LE6920. $2,000 would be a lot for what is basically an AR that takes AK mags.

If it's modular and you can put a 5.56 upper on it with an adapter for the mags, then prolly $2,000 with the adapter block.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    90% the same rifle? As far as I know the CM901 is full auto, the civilian version is the LE901. If this CK901 is not modular like the LE901, it will probably be more in line price wise with the LE6920. $2,000 would be a lot for what is basically an AR that takes AK mags.
    I gotta ask this: are you aware that Colt was selling the LE901 without the conversion kit for ~$2200? It didn't always come with the kit. It used to be sold separately for about $300. In your world, that rifle should have sold for about $1100... it didn't.

I repeat: the CK901 is 90% the same rifle as the CM901/LE901. It will be priced similarly with or without an adapter block. You may think that's too much, but Colt has a long history of overly-high pricing. As long as they get their military and LE sales, they'll live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom