• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I'm putting this here since it's specifically dealing with 7.62x54R ammo and Mosins.

http://www.mosin-nagant.us/stupid_hot_ppu_ammo.htm

Lots of detailed information and photos regarding over pressure ammo in M-Ns.

Thought some of our more knowledgable M-N freaks could comment.

Dec 31, 2012
    It seems to me that PPU is hot for their commercial offerings. Even their 38's are zingers. I've seen bulging primers in 38 and 9. Those pictures say it all.

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    One reason to be aware might be if you have an SVT-40. Ive been told by several owners that you shouldnt use anything hearvier in them than 150 grn otherwise as it could cause damage to the bolt. I dont know if that is true necessarily but havent had time to research it and I dont want to find out the hard way. Also, I tend to not want to run corrosive ammo through mine and I think that PPU is the only 150grn 54R ammo around that isnt corrosive. Im sure someone will jump in and correct me if Im wrong

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    One reason to be aware might be if you have an SVT-40. Ive been told by several owners that you shouldnt use anything hearvier in them than 150 grn otherwise as it could cause damage to the bolt. I dont know if that is true necessarily but havent had time to research it and I dont want to find out the hard way. Also, I tend to not want to run corrosive ammo through mine and I think that PPU is the only 150grn 54R ammo around that isnt corrosive. Im sure someone will jump in and correct me if Im wrong
    I have some TulAmmo in 54r that I believe is non-corrosive.

I think IraqVet on YouTube did a Mosin torture test a while back that I posted on here. Among other tests, they essentially packed a bunch of range dust into the case, leveled it off and stuck a bullet on to try to get it to pop.

No such luck.. the bolt was pretty stuck but bit functioned just fine after they got it moving again.

The mosin can take a massive beating when it comes to hot loads

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I shoot surplus cheap and never had a failure yet, so why bother reading all that.

Because using over pressure ammo in a hundred year old gun built by an illiterate peasant might be bad for your health?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I wish they had given the batch number from their boxes. I have some 150gr PPU that I have not shot yet.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    I'm putting this here since it's specifically dealing with 7.62x54R ammo and Mosins.

http://www.mosin-nagant.us/stupid_hot_ppu_ammo.htm

Lots of detailed information and photos regarding over pressure ammo in M-Ns.

Thought some of our more knowledgable M-N freaks could comment.

I have shot about a hundred rounds of it out of mine with no issues like they had.
    Someone who shoots it much better than I got good groups too.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    most all PPU is cheap and hot, but haven't had any pressure signs or defects like he was getting, might have been a bad lot, or newer/older loading than I have. They make a lot of hard to find military calibers, it's an easy way to get brass for mouse fart loads, the brass isn't very good, cracks easy, and large weight/thickness variation, but it last forever for light loads. Load 12gr of Unique behind a 100ish grain 32cal pistol bullet(I use Rainier), and get basically handgun ballistics with no recoil and little noise. Works for most mid-sized rifle calibers from 30-30 to 30-06, covers most 7mm to 8mm military calibers using 8-12gr of Unique. Fun for plinking, pest control, or for responsible kids to try out historical rifles that they otherwise wouldn't be able to handle, won't cycle autoloaders, but they are fun.

Sirex