• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • apdbobby

Jun 12, 2013
    Easton
    SIG 550/551 assault rifle (.223 caliber) (has generally been interpreted to not include the 556 or 556R)
    SO I can buy one:party29: or no:envy:

So I buy one with a folding stock and no flash hider attached, ie removed by seller? just threaded, passes the evil test?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, you're best off going with a 556xi, which is even more different from the 550/551. I'll update the FAQ.

apdbobby

Jun 12, 2013
    Easton
    Think I made the guy nervous, I had so many question! (who doesn't with the stupid gun laws) So if you are reading this "Sorry" I will come in to your shop and buy one. Thanks

azmp1

Apr 11, 2012
    Carroll County
    ^Most definitely true. :)

A question on one of the of the FAQ's.
    It's stated in the FAQ's that 22lr long guns are not considered copycats, aside from few unique cases, and therefore are ok, my question is, does that apply to 22lr AKs as well? I was under the impression that all AKs and copys were banned, including 22lr variants... Is it not the case?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Ugh. That is a hard question, and it's essentially unanswerable.

22lr AKs are in a weird place in terms of the law, and entirely up to MSP interpretation, because there's no definition of what an AK actually is. What "makes" an AK? Is it the general AK action? Is it using a receiver generally associated with AKs? The AG and MSP have never given a good answer, so you wind up with a very broad application of the law in order to avoid trouble.

Further, not all 22lr AKs are the same... the WASR-22 and M10-22 are very, very similar to real AKs (albeit with direct blowback actions). The GSG and ATI AK-alikes, less so. (Think of as the difference between a CMMG 22lr AR and a S&W M&P15-22.)

My gut feeling is that you're probably OK with the GSG or ATI AK-alikes, but may be pushing it with the WASR-22 or M10-22.

azmp1

Apr 11, 2012
    Carroll County
    Thanks, good explanation. I can certainly agree on GSG/ATI guns, aside from looking like an AK, they're pretty much a completely different gun in terms of mechanics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Yeah, you're best off going with a 556xi, which is even more different from the 550/551. I'll update the FAQ.

Forgive me...this has been debated 100x but I just had a storefront industry partner tell me the sig 556r is banned as an ak clone (scar in all formats too) by MSP. I'm pretty sure that's wrong but I guess MSP's opinion means a lot more than mine. Not named in sb281 or sharing any AK parts- I guess they are making shit up as they go. As long as configured properly , I thought the scar should be gtg.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The IP is wrong, and it is really that simple. The 556R has zero parts commonality with an AK, and has several key design differences.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Forgive me...this has been debated 100x but I just had a storefront industry partner tell me the sig 556r is banned as an ak clone (scar in all formats too) by MSP. I'm pretty sure that's wrong but I guess MSP's opinion means a lot more than mine. Not named in sb281 or sharing any AK parts- I guess they are making shit up as they go. As long as configured properly , I thought the scar should be gtg.

Purchase from another FFL who actually knows the law

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom