• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It needs to be at least 10" long, .200 in diameter, and ha e a 90 degree deflector.

I may be able to meet up one day and take a look if he can't help.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Sounds like you have a front sight base with opposing set screws. If the front sight base is locktited, the set screws probably have enough of it on them to require a "lot" of heat to be applied to the fsb before they will turn.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Kalister1, I have a Hawkeye bore scope and will be in the Millersville area on Mon/Tues, June 8 & 9. If Chad can't get at you, I can bring mine up with me. You could bring your rifle to my office near the Millersville USPO and we can look at it there. Let me know if you want me to bring it up with me.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    It needs to be at least 10" long, .200 in diameter, and ha e a 90 degree deflector.

I may be able to meet up one day and take a look if he can't help.

Kalister1, I have a Hawkeye bore scope and will be in the Millersville area on Mon/Tues, June 8 & 9. If Chad can't get at you, I can bring mine up with me. You could bring your rifle to my office near the Millersville USPO and we can look at it there. Let me know if you want me to bring it up with me.

Thank you very much!
    I have one of those jobs that I get to go home when things are done.
    I could be in the area @ 5 or 6, depends on the needs of the business.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I cut the front sight post off of the barrel. Under the sling loop the set screw was in a dimple (Counterbore) in the barrel. There appears to be a ring around the gas hole in the sight block which would indicate the smaller hole in the barrel was well centered.

I installed a low profile gas block to fit under a free float tube. If that does not fix it, that leaves the gas tube and chamber?

It appeared to me that there was (Crud) on the outside of the gas tube. Does any type of sealant belong on the tube?

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Are you sure you have a carbine buffer and not a pistol buffer?
    The crud on the outside of the gas tube is carbon blow by. It is normal to see some degree of carbon build up due to blow by. It is possible that the hole for the gas tube is oversize. Since you are replacing it, I wouldn't worry about it.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I finally got it to the range.
    I replaced everything possible, new gas block and tube was the last thing to try and it did nothing.

So I came to the conclusion the barrel was at fault. Before replacing it I used a 30 caliber bore mop with some valve lapping compound to polish the chamber. It now throws empty cases several feet in front of me. My other upper (Both 16") throws them to the side an back. I have seen other guns throw empty cases forward, so as long as it runs it can throw them anywhere it likes.

I did not mic the empty cases but did not see any signs of extreme bulging.

Can anyone shed some light on why guns shed brass in different directions?

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I had a similar issue with my LAR 8. Consistent failure to eject. Sent it back to Rock River and they found a gas tube issue. I think it worked itself out.

Since getting it back, it has performed flawlessly.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Where it throws brass is not an exact science. Forward indicates it's overgassed, but that isn't always the case.

Adjustable Gas will assist.

outrider58

Here's looking at you kid
    MDS Supporter
    I finally got it to the range.
    I replaced everything possible, new gas block and tube was the last thing to try and it did nothing.

So I came to the conclusion the barrel was at fault. Before replacing it I used a 30 caliber bore mop with some valve lapping compound to polish the chamber. It now throws empty cases several feet in front of me. My other upper (Both 16") throws them to the side an back. I have seen other guns throw empty cases forward, so as long as it runs it can throw them anywhere it likes.

I did not mic the empty cases but did not see any signs of extreme bulging.

Can anyone shed some light on why guns shed brass in different directions?

So, have the failures stopped?

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I am going to say a ruff chamber.
    The last thing I did was polish it with a 30 caliber bore mop and valve lapping compound. I spun it with a drill (SLOW) and stopped when I could tell a difference in the "SHINE" of the chamber.
    I measured the gas hole in the barrel @ .085" and from what I have read a 16" barrel should be .07?' to .086"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mr88

Latest threads

Top Bottom