• ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    He would have died with or without a permit in that attack. If he was Mr. fitness himself there are scenarios that he would not prevail in. Carrying will never solve every possible situation but it will help in many. Same can be said for fitness, situational awareness, etc.

These are some of the things I don't think potential CCW folks consider. My best friend, an inductee into the Black Belt Martial Arts Hall of Fame, considers a firearm to be one of the many tools he has at his disposal to protect himself & others. Unfortunately, there're many, including some on this forum, who feel the gun is the great equalizer.

I view a firearm as one tool in my self defense arsenal. People should practice with a variety of weapons, such as pepper spray, batons, walking sticks, etc.

Remember. when your life is on the line, it is all out war.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Fairly intuitive article for most. If someone gets the "jump on you", the gun tucked away may be too late. I was unaware once, heard a voice, looked up and had a gun on me. If I had a gun and went for it the guy could of unloaded his on me for sure.

How many police officers are killed with their own gun?

You frequently read stories of citizens that carry legal giving aid when they see someone else getting in trouble. I consider that an invaluable part to let good people carry.

nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    He would have died with or without a permit in that attack. If he was Mr. fitness himself there are scenarios that he would not prevail in. Carrying will never solve every possible situation but it will help in many. Same can be said for fitness, situational awareness, etc.

+1:thumbsup:

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    This article is a good one.

Fitness: While it is not realistic to expect us all to be crossfit gods, if we are serious about maintaining a relatively effective level of self defense we must be able to respond with very aggressive physical combatives for at least 60 seconds. And I mean very intensive, all out, 100%, pure aggression. If you don't have any experience with something like MMA or Krav Maga and you say to yourself: "60 seconds? thats all? of course i can do that!" you are fooling yourself. While the encounter is not likely to last 60 seconds, I think it should be your minimum level of physical preparedness.

Training: This needs to be the RIGHT KIND OF TRAINING!!! If you take a 3 day course on room clearing you will not be prepared for the encounter you are likely to have as a citizen CCW.
    You need training focused on techniques applicable to you which should include psychology/chemical reactions of sudden life threatening stress on your body and physical performance. Shameless plug incoming: Attend our Basic and Advanced Reactive Gunfighting - Handgun courses to see what I am talking about. You will experience what it will feel like mentally and physically to be under this kind of stress and learn how to manage it effectively. www.ddctraining.net for dates.

Practice: Yep. Here is what you should practice: Your level of situational awareness. For goodness sake, don't get sucker punched like the "guy" in the article!! Don't be paranoid, but do practice your awareness and what you may do in any likely scenario as you go about your day.
    And ofcourse you need to practice your draw and manipulations etc. IDPA is a decent, and fun way of practicing this (as long as you run your carry rig) but it is NOT training.

The gun is an equalizer and force multiplier, but only if you can present it, and use it effectively under tremendous stress.

Thats my 2c.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I know Mike. Left our agency quite a few years back. He's dialed in.
    He was briefly on that show, I think it is called Top Shot. Saw it on Netflix. At least I am pretty sure he is the guy. Looks the same. Name is the same IIRC.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    He was briefly on that show, I think it is called Top Shot. Saw it on Netflix. At least I am pretty sure he is the guy. Looks the same. Name is the same IIRC.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Season 1 , and first eliminated.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    While I agree all those are key some people do not have the time, the money for many of those things. Many of us have to choose one over the other. I can do practice and fitness, but training is a little tougher.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    This article is a good one.

Fitness: While it is not realistic to expect us all to be crossfit gods, if we are serious about maintaining a relatively effective level of self defense we must be able to respond with very aggressive physical combatives for at least 60 seconds. And I mean very intensive, all out, 100%, pure aggression. If you don't have any experience with something like MMA or Krav Maga and you say to yourself: "60 seconds? thats all? of course i can do that!" you are fooling yourself. While the encounter is not likely to last 60 seconds, I think it should be your minimum level of physical preparedness.

Training: This needs to be the RIGHT KIND OF TRAINING!!! If you take a 3 day course on room clearing you will not be prepared for the encounter you are likely to have as a citizen CCW.
    You need training focused on techniques applicable to you which should include psychology/chemical reactions of sudden life threatening stress on your body and physical performance. Shameless plug incoming: Attend our Basic and Advanced Reactive Gunfighting - Handgun courses to see what I am talking about. You will experience what it will feel like mentally and physically to be under this kind of stress and learn how to manage it effectively. www.ddctraining.net for dates.

Practice: Yep. Here is what you should practice: Your level of situational awareness. For goodness sake, don't get sucker punched like the "guy" in the article!! Don't be paranoid, but do practice your awareness and what you may do in any likely scenario as you go about your day.
    And ofcourse you need to practice your draw and manipulations etc. IDPA is a decent, and fun way of practicing this (as long as you run your carry rig) but it is NOT training.

The gun is an equalizer and force multiplier, but only if you can present it, and use it effectively under tremendous stress.

Thats my 2c.

So much this, especially about cardio. Dropping fat and building muscle can be hard, and takes time to see results, but IMO cardio is the one aspect of fitness that you can see an improvement in quickly and dramatically, uses practically no equipment, and tends to be more useful in daily life, especially in self defense. Also at least for me, getting to the point where you are physically exhausted, and then pushing through it and raising your personal threshold helps mindset, it's at least a slightly better than poor approximation of fighting like your life depends on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom