• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jefm

Jan 11, 2016
    Eastern Shore
    Have gone thru the HQL process and started shopping for my first pistol. Looked at ammo prices & figured a 9mm would be good as it won't break the bank.
    Choosing a pistol was daunting and the choices seemed endless. Sort of like buying your first car and knowing nothing about cars.
    Youtube seemed a good source for reviews as anything I thought looked good I could find some reviews about - hickok45 films seemed like a wealth of info.
    Frequently I would find something that sounded pretty good and find out it didn't meet MD's magazine requirements.
    I am a visual type of person, and so I wanted something good looking as well as a quality shooter. My daughter owns a glock which I understand are good quality but they will never win a beauty contest.
    Ended up with a Beretta 92FS which is, in my mind, a thing of beauty. It also is sort of fascinating that the company is over 500 years old.
    Have just wondered how you guys came up with your first choice in pistols.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    The 92fs is a great choice. You can get the real mags in Delaware and legally bring them back. Enjoy your new firearm!

My first was a sig p226 which I chose because I liked the de cocker and it fit my hand and shot straight

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Just like feet and shoes, what fits one doesn't fit another. Try before buying.

Beretta is a nice gun, but don't rule out other old school guns like the Browning Hi Power and similar CZ's ... and 1911 in 9mm. The Sig P226 is another great suggestion, it has many fans.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    If You want a good looking 9mm pistol then next time get either Browning Hi-Power or CZ-75.

Both represent a happy marriage of form and function in pistol.

In function over form, I love Glocks and Sigs for their practical, realiable service. But they're visually boring and have the personality of a hammer; a real good, useful hammer but hammer just the same.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Yep, CZ-75 and clones from Tanfoglio of Italy or Bul or IWI of Israel are good choices. Tanfoglio and Bul make polymer versions that are lightweight and affordable. Magnum Research has US made steel frame ones and Bul Cherokee ones marked as Baby Desert Eagle if you want that.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    My first pistol was a Springfield XD45. Got it because a friend owned a 9mm in the same pistol. Shot it and liked it a lot. Just didn't care for 9mm at the time so I went with .45.

I have sold it since, not because I wanted to but for personal reasons. Great guns.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Good choice! Now add a Crimson Trace laser and a threaded barrel and you will be on your way to the promised land!

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      96.8 KB · Views: 387

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    How the pistol fits your hand is important, and is a very personal thing. For instance, much of the pro-and con controversy about Glocks is based on the feel of the Glock. For me, a Glock feels "okay", but when I lay it down and pick up a S&W M&P, my immediate thought is, "Oh my, this is much better."

That's one reason people will tell you to try out as many different pistols as you can. Most indoor ranges have pistols you can rent. That's a good way to try them out.

Think about what trigger system works for you. You'll be choosing among double action, like the SIGs and Berettas, striker fired like the Glocks and M&Ps, and single action, like the Browning Hi Power and the 1911.

The trigger system plays a huge role in how the pistol is deployed and how it shoots. For target shooting at the range, it doesn't much matter, but it makes a big difference if the pistol is kept for defense. There are pros and cons and unending arguments about the different systems. Again, like the ergonomic issues, it comes down largely to personal choice, but also to training.

Probably the most important thing is that you train and practice with whatever pistol you chose. That will go a long way towards making up for a poor choice, such as a Beretta. (Bwa-ha-ha-ha. I kid. Sort of.)

Ergonomics also plays a part in the trigger system choice, if like me you have short fingers. The double actions force me to twist the gun slightly in my hand, so I avoid them.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Frequently I would find something that sounded pretty good and find out it didn't meet MD's magazine requirements....

Don't worry about that. Get what you want, even if you have to buy it with no magazine. The law only bans transfer (= change of ownership) within the state. It does not ban possession, use, or importation for personal use.

Buy with no mag, then drive to Delaware and stock up on standard magazines.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Have gone thru the HQL process and started shopping for my first pistol. Looked at ammo prices & figured a 9mm would be good as it won't break the bank.
    Choosing a pistol was daunting and the choices seemed endless. Sort of like buying your first car and knowing nothing about cars.
    Youtube seemed a good source for reviews as anything I thought looked good I could find some reviews about - hickok45 films seemed like a wealth of info.
    Frequently I would find something that sounded pretty good and find out it didn't meet MD's magazine requirements.
    I am a visual type of person, and so I wanted something good looking as well as a quality shooter. My daughter owns a glock which I understand are good quality but they will never win a beauty contest.
    Ended up with a Beretta 92FS which is, in my mind, a thing of beauty. It also is sort of fascinating that the company is over 500 years old.
    Have just wondered how you guys came up with your first choice in pistols.

When i bought my 1st pistol, I went with what I knew and the Beretta was my sidearm int he arm so the learning curve and "jitters" were less. Given I bought a Taurus Beretta which works almost like the actual beretta except where the safety is located.

jefm

Jan 11, 2016
    Eastern Shore
    Yes the PT92 was my first choice, but they seemed to have disappeared from everyones inventory. Even contacted corporate and they had no clue when 10 round 92's would be available.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    How easy is it to find standard capacity Beretta mags outside of Md? You can go almost anywhere a d find Glock, M&P mags.

vandrv

Oct 8, 2013
    Harford County
    My first handgun, after a fair amount of research was a Sig P226. Quite a few guns later, I still think it was a pretty good choice.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    My first pistol was a S&W Model 27, purchased as a means to replace one that got away when my Mom had a sale to sell off my Dad's guns and reloading equipment, so it was a sentimental thing.

My second pistol purchase was an H&K USP 45 that I got used. I wasn't going to get a USP - I was all about finding a Springfield XDM in .45. To me, it was the polymer framed pistol that fit in my budget, and that I really liked from an ergonomic and features standpoint.

At the time, we were in the crush of buying in the aftermath of the passing of that silly-ass SB281/FSA2013, so pickings were slim. That day, I'd gone up to Continental Arms in Timonium for 2 reasons one, to check them out in general - I'd never been there - and two, to see if they had an XDM in stock. They didn't, but they had that USP sitting in the case on consignment. It was just a touch outside of my budget I had on me that day, so I put money down on it, and gathered the rest to pay it off when it came time to pick it up.

I think that if you choose something made by H&K or Sig, you pay more, but there are no compromises - they cost more, because they are exceptionally well-designed and well-made.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    First was a police trade-in W. German Sig P220. Good price on a great pistol, fit me well, was plenty accurate, loved the 45 caliber, and dad had 22s I could shoot for cheap anytime I wanted. Never really cared for the decocker, or the DA/SA trigger mode, ended up trading it after years of heavy use to fund a S&W 610 I didn't have the cash for, but couldn't pass up, missed it, bought a P220 SAO to replace it, very happy with my decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom