• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • So I was fortunate enough to acquire a 91 just before the ban went in place. I think it may be one of the most badass looking guns I've seen. The recoil is modest, not a bother. But what I am not super thrilled about is the sights and the trigger. Anybody have one and got some advice for me for mounting an optic and working on the trigger?

Thanks!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Don't need to send the gun for trigger work. Just the trigger pack. The upper half of an HK is the serialed firearm. They won't need that.

Depending on how much you want to spend there are better factory HK trigger packs avail (PSG type)

FYI, there are more than a few unhappy people w/ Bill's work. Might want to read up on it and make your own conclusions... (google "bill springfield trigger problem")

You have a railed receiver version or need a claw mount for the scope?

Don't need to send the gun for trigger work. Just the trigger pack. The upper half of an HK is the serialed firearm. They won't need that.

Depending on how much you want to spend there are better factory HK trigger packs avail (PSG type)

FYI, there are more than a few unhappy people w/ Bill's work. Might want to read up on it and make your own conclusions... (google "bill springfield trigger problem")

I'll be sure to read up. I guess I should have specified the model. I have the MSG 91 with the welded rail

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have the MSG 91 with the welded rail

Then all you should need is a scope w/ fairly low rings. You generally want as low as possible but not hit the sights. Searching the PTR website, looks like your model has the PRS2 stock which should be adjustable high enough to get a decent cheek weld again. I have a standard HK stock on my 91s and need the snap on riser to use a scope:
    http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/HK-CHEEK-PIECE-p1879.htm

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

I am not a gun smith, but I have read that the G3 trigger is difficult to safely make into something approaching a match trigger (i.e., less creep and less force). My feeling is if you want a match rifle, buy a bolt gun or an AR10.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I'm not so sure the G3 is difficult is that its so easy (and tempting) to fool with what many DIY and either do a hack job or just go too far. It's been said that its similar to a 10/22 trigger and I can kinda see that. So easy to modify many people go too far. *IF* one has the means to do good work (jigs, grinders, etc and not just hand grinding) there should be some simple stuff that can be done to make a big difference. The stock sear angles and engagement depths are really high. I suspect that is what Bill Springfield is doing. His fee is too low to be doing much else. Even though there are some complaints, for the $ he would be hard to pass up. Worst case you are out his fee and <$50 to get another stock trigger pack. People who are happy w/ his work seem to be REALLY happy. I just wanted to point out in my prior post that its not always 100%. You won't end up w/ a Geissele but it should still be a vast improvement over stock.

I've studied a PSG1 pack once and noted that many internal parts are counter weighted. I suspect that is what allows the light pull AND still be drop safe. Thats probably the only way to safely go down to a Geissele-like trigger pull feel. HK will make you pay for it too! :) So you are right in that you probably can't get a stock G3 pack as good as a 'match trigger' safely. Better, yes. Match, no. FWIW, There are HK set-triggers available too. I've never looked inside one of those to see how complicated they are but have dry fired one a couple times. Its way better than stock.

PS: The PSG trigger has at least 2x as many internal parts as a regular pack - it looks REALLY complicated inside. German engineering! The owner and I were both too afraid to take it apart w/o documentation;) Its sort of like seeing a HK burst pack for the first time. You play w/ it for 20min watching all the little gears and pawls interact. Fascinating if you are into mechanical stuff.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    If you swap out the butt stock, you could upgrade the recoil buffer for a heavy or PSG1 buffer (smooth out the recoil).

Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nestor875

Latest threads

Top Bottom