Question about buying a gun for my wife to use.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Debating on buying a gun that my wife can train with in MD and for future CCW once we are out of state. Clearly I cannot buy a gun for her in the state of Maryland. However if I buy a gun in Maryland for her to train with at the range with me there I know that's fine. It's my gun not hers id be buying it for her to train with, not to own in Maryland. When the time comes, when we leave Maryland, can she use it/carry it or would that fall under a straw purchase. If we move to a state like VA what would we need to do to add her name to it? Assuming a transfer but then if I use it to CCW would I run into issues?

Cliff notes. Guess the question comes down to if in VA or TX can a husband and wife share a gun for CCW or do both people need to be registered with the gun. If that is even possible.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Many states do not require registration at all so "adding her name" wouldn't be important.

As long as your wife is not a prohibited person she can use any of your firearms doubt she needs it to be "registered" to her.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    why not let her rent a few guns, find the one she can handle and likes the best then let her buy it? all to often the hubby buys the one he thinks is best, only to find she has too much gun to handle.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    That's sorta the plan. I've been putting guns into her hands. Her birthday is coming up and while we never exchange gifts it's a good excuse to buy another gun. Lol she's got her hands on a few but not any subcompacts.

She likes my g26 not so much my 229.
    I'm thinking about buying a g43 or shield and if she doesn't like them she can use my g26 which I know she likes or God forbids I have to buy another gun. ;)

Knowing her hand size she will really like the feel of both the g43/shield. However the snappy recoil might be a different story. I think in the end the g26 will win.

G42 might be a good option also but it would be nice to keep it in the 9mm family since I'm never short of 9mm ammo.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Many states do not require registration at all so "adding her name" wouldn't be important.

As long as your wife is not a prohibited person she can use any of your firearms doubt she needs it to be "registered" to her.
    she's waiting for her Utah permit to come back.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Has she fired any of these guns?

These smaller firearms G26/43 leave a little to be desired in terms of comfort for many people.

Take her to a place that rents firearms and have her start with a G19 and work her way down. Don't rule out revolvers either.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Get your wife to enroll in one of Monumentals Women on Target (WOT) classes (contact is Patty West I believe), and that one day class will introduce her to handguns and provide a base to work from.

She can bring a firearm of her own or she can shoot the ones that will be available. The training is conducted at the AGC ranges on Marriottsville Road, and you should be able to get info at the Monumental R & P Club site under AGC on the web.

We've trained well over a 1,400 women in firearms basics the past 10 years. The class is quite popular and fills quickly. They also conduct introductory shotgun and rifle classes and all three classes are done in conjunction with the NRA and are NRA approved. The classes fill rapidly so don't delay if you decide to attend.

And, Monumental welcomes women to join them; they are the sole club at AGC that has a Womens Division. They are self supporting and they train their own.

Lew--Ranger63

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    That's sorta the plan. I've been putting guns into her hands. Her birthday is coming up and while we never exchange gifts it's a good excuse to buy another gun. Lol she's got her hands on a few but not any subcompacts.

She likes my g26 not so much my 229.
    I'm thinking about buying a g43 or shield and if she doesn't like them she can use my g26 which I know she likes or God forbids I have to buy another gun. ;)

Knowing her hand size she will really like the feel of both the g43/shield. However the snappy recoil might be a different story. I think in the end the g26 will win.

G42 might be a good option also but it would be nice to keep it in the 9mm family since I'm never short of 9mm ammo.

be aware, the shield is a very nice gun but due to it's narrow dimensions, someone who lacks the hand strength to "rack the slide" may find it difficult, that, and if there is any arthritis in the knuckle joints, either early onset or otherwise, it could be damn near impossible to manipulate. Patty West does have great Women On Target training.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    In Maryland, handguns may be loaned pretty much indefinitely, as this non-lawyer understands it.
    The only states I know of in which you'd have to take extra legal precautions would be those like New York, Illinois, and I think Massachusetts, which have true registration.

My feeble understanding is that in Illinois and New York, a person may not legally own a handgun which is not registered. Even in post FSA13 Maryland, handguns need not be "registered" to be legally owned (except those brought in by new residents, post 10/1/13 : still a pretty narrow exception).

Yes, your wife may use your gun, even if you're away in New Zealand at the time. But why doesn't she buy her own?

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    My wife isn't new to shooting. only guns I don't think she's shot is the subcompact single stack guns.

She normally keeps her weight between 105-110, depending on how much she gets to work out, (she lifts real weights) so more working out = slightly higher weight.

a G19 for a CCW on her frame would be like printing a brick. outside of purse/bag carry, (which I do not like because chit happens and you can't reach it) she needs something small.

She has shot enough that I couldn't tell you what guns she has and has not shot outside of what I've personally shot with her, which the G43/42/shield has not been one of them.

It would be for a birthday gift, so I'm not trying to her too many questions. but again, if she doesn't like it, its a win win =) oh I'm sorry, lets try another one, I'll just use this one for tshirt and short days ;)

Minuteman has offered training for us, one day I plan on taking him up on the offer, sadly time right now is painfully hard to come by with 2 young children. But it is on our list of things to do. sooner than later, just a matter of when.

She does have a hard time racking guns, her hands tend to be on the moist side and it keeps her from gripping the slide, my thoughts are adding some type of tape to my gun.
    that also has me rethinking the .380 since not only is the gun less snappy, it should also be easier to rack due to a lighter spring.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    WHy can't you buy her a gun?

Perfectly legal to buy a GIFT.

What you cannot do, is to buy a gun for her to skirt the law.

Other thing you can do is give her the money and let her buy.

MANY threads on this

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    WHy can't you buy her a gun?

Perfectly legal to buy a GIFT.

What you cannot do, is to buy a gun for her to skirt the law.

Other thing you can do is give her the money and let her buy.

MANY threads on this

Exactly. People in general, make way too big a deal out of it.

ruarkkustomz

Dec 24, 2015
    Salisbury,md
    My wife isn't new to shooting. only guns I don't think she's shot is the subcompact single stack guns.

She normally keeps her weight between 105-110, depending on how much she gets to work out, (she lifts real weights) so more working out = slightly higher weight.

a G19 for a CCW on her frame would be like printing a brick. outside of purse/bag carry, (which I do not like because chit happens and you can't reach it) she needs something small.

She has shot enough that I couldn't tell you what guns she has and has not shot outside of what I've personally shot with her, which the G43/42/shield has not been one of them.

It would be for a birthday gift, so I'm not trying to her too many questions. but again, if she doesn't like it, its a win win =) oh I'm sorry, lets try another one, I'll just use this one for tshirt and short days ;)

Minuteman has offered training for us, one day I plan on taking him up on the offer, sadly time right now is painfully hard to come by with 2 young children. But it is on our list of things to do. sooner than later, just a matter of when.

She does have a hard time racking guns, her hands tend to be on the moist side and it keeps her from gripping the slide, my thoughts are adding some type of tape to my gun.
    that also has me rethinking the .380 since not only is the gun less snappy, it should also be easier to rack due to a lighter spring.

We are currently looking for handguns for my wife she has been shooting for only about two months and she mostly shot the sig 226. some of the guns she likes and said feel good in her hand were the beretta nano is her top pick so far, glock 43 she liked but shot a g30s and didn't like the feel of the trigger. kar pm9 she really liked and the m&p shield she said was ok. Now she hasn't shot any of them just the feel and handling factor. She has a hard time racking guns as well can't rack my 1911 or many .45 guns. Hope some of that helps from a woman's perspective

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    why not let her rent a few guns, find the one she can handle and likes the best then let her buy it? all to often the hubby buys the one he thinks is best, only to find she has too much gun to handle.

That's great advice. If someone has a wife or SO that is new to shooting, the last thing you want to do is push them towards a snappy subcompact or anything else with significant recoil. Renting a few guns of their choice is a good way to get them into the hobby.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Exactly. People in general, make way too big a deal out of it.

Growing up in Maryland I know that when it comes to some things you just don't take any risk. Guns are one of them. It's always better to ask questions first than it is to explain why later. Oh I taught...

So based on info in this thread. It is ok for me to buy my wife who doesn't have an HQL a handgun as a gift?

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    That's great advice. If someone has a wife or SO that is new to shooting, the last thing you want to do is push them towards a snappy subcompact or anything else with significant recoil. Renting a few guns of their choice is a good way to get them into the hobby.

Yup people new to shooting have no idea about what they like. Thankfully my wife isn't new to shooting.

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    Yup people new to shooting have no idea about what they like. Thankfully my wife isn't new to shooting.

Yup. Nothing worse than seeing new shooters gravitate towards guns that even range rats aren't delighted to shoot. "Why don't we rent that first?" :)

Why not do a range comparison of the Glock 26, Glock 43, Springfield XD Mod 2 Sub-compact, and the Shield. Maybe even toss in a couple of the popular .380s for good measure.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Get her a Colt Defender O7000D

O7000D_left_main.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member