Can't buy a 10/22 receiver under 21? HELP!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Under federal law, a licensee may only transfer long guns (rifles and shotguns) to persons over 18. All other firearms, including "Other" (frames and receivers) may only be transferred to those 21+.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    You could transfer it through an 07FLL (like engage) and bring them your barrel & stock, have them assemble it (not final, but just a quickie) and sell it to you as a complete rifle?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    You could transfer it through an 07FLL (like engage) and bring them your barrel & stock, have them assemble it (not final, but just a quickie) and sell it to you as a complete rifle?

Correct. A manufacturing (07) FFL could build the receiver into a rifle and sell it to you as a Rifle if you are under 21.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    Silly Wabbit, that's not a stripped 10/22 reciever, that's a stripped Charger reciever.

After we stop laughing, for the shop fee you would pay to an 007 to assemble a stack of 10/22 parts onto a stripped reciever , just buy a dadgum complete rifle, and either resell , keep for future projects, or throw away the rifle-like parts you don't care to make use of for current project.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Didn't you actually make the purchase for your dad, so that he can have a spare receiver? I'm pretty sure we were talking about you being a great son and doing this for your dad. All you need to do is have your dad go to the shop and complete the paperwork so he may have his spare receiver that you purchased for him.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    for the shop fee you would pay to an 007 to assemble a stack of 10/22 parts onto a stripped reciever , just buy a dadgum complete rifle, and ...

KIDD rifles start at $1000. Thats an awful expensive way to get a receiver.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Silly Wabbit, that's not a stripped 10/22 reciever, that's a stripped Charger reciever.

After we stop laughing, for the shop fee you would pay to an 007 to assemble a stack of 10/22 parts onto a stripped reciever , just buy a dadgum complete rifle, and either resell , keep for future projects, or throw away the rifle-like parts you don't care to make use of for current project.

So he needs an HQL too? :lol2::tdown:

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    OP, also please don't think along the lines of getting someone else to purchase the receiver, build the 10/22, and then transfer it to you. According to the latest SCOTUS ruling that could be considered a straw purchase, as the person filling out the initial form intended it to be transferred to you. Send it off to a nice FFL07 manufacturer, get a nice parts kit, and have fun with your 10/22. The little extra shipping and building fees is not worth a potential federal crime.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    OP, also please don't think along the lines of getting someone else to purchase the receiver, build the 10/22, and then transfer it to you. According to the latest SCOTUS ruling that could be considered a straw purchase, as the person filling out the initial form intended it to be transferred to you. Send it off to a nice FFL07 manufacturer, get a nice parts kit, and have fun with your 10/22. The little extra shipping and building fees is not worth a potential federal crime.

Straw purchase is defined as buying with the intent to transfer to a prohibited person. http://smartgunlaws.org/straw-purchases-policy-summary/

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    You can buy this for a family member as a gift. As I stated in my post above. This is perfectly legal. The father would have to fill out the forms. No straw purchase there.

Jim Smith

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Ok let me clear everything up. I bought my dad a factory Ruger 10/22 rifle for christmas. $250 and I walked out the door with it. Now, I want to build my own 10/22 for myself, so I bought a kidd 10/22 reciever and was having trouble with the transfer (because i'm 19). Everything was cleared up at the gunshop and now I have my Kidd reciever.

Glad you got it all worked out.
    Now you are obligated to post pictures of the progress of your build.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Ok let me clear everything up. I bought my dad a factory Ruger 10/22 rifle for christmas. $250 and I walked out the door with it. Now, I want to build my own 10/22 for myself, so I bought a kidd 10/22 reciever and was having trouble with the transfer (because i'm 19). Everything was cleared up at the gunshop and now I have my Kidd reciever.

I'm interested to know how they worked that out and you ended up with the receiver.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Nate is correct.

This is not kosher. Its not a rifle per the pictures thus it was transferred as an "other" receiver (buyer MUST be 21 or older)to someone prohibited or it was transferred via straw purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom