• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tech11165

Apr 4, 2013
    I have my Utah and Florida CCW. Of course living in Maryland, I do not have my CCW here. I am relatively new ( Past 5 years ) with hand guns and just in the past 2 years got my CCW for the two mentioned above. I want to start to practice carrying concealed and trying different holsters for the guns I do own. Is it legal to conceal carry a practice gun?? I can get the practice guns for the ones I own relatively cheap. I want to start to conceal carry in the states I am legal to. In any given year I may travel those states at least 12 times. But for me , I want to practice here and get used to it before I go live. It is more of a comfort thing for me. I don't want to travel and make that my practice session.
    Any advise or constructive criticism is welcomed.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    No problem on your property. I wouldn't do it off of your property. Expect MD LE to treat it as the real deal, with all the consequences.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    practice at your house. other than that I think its a terrible idea to do it out in public in md.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If just one person calls the cops, you can be charged with disturbing the peace and whatever else they can find.

Bad idea IMO

practice at home or on private property, not in public.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    IANAL but can't see how carrying a plastic, inert, lookalike would be illegal (although in another thread apparently some kid is going thru the ringer from having a spent piece of brass in school). but it seems a little dumb to carry that around in public even though concealed, may invite LEO scrutiny or just get laughed at. plus might be hard to get the weight right, as mags loaded with ammo definitely add weight to the gun.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    IANAL but can't see how carrying a plastic, inert, lookalike would be illegal (although in another thread apparently some kid is going thru the ringer from having a spent piece of brass in school). but it seems a little dumb to carry that around in public even though concealed, may invite LEO scrutiny or just get laughed at. plus might be hard to get the weight right, as mags loaded with ammo definitely add weight to the gun.

MD isn't VA regarding handguns. Not even close. Are you willing try it yourself and see what happens? Serious question. Not trying to be a wise guy.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I didn't notice davso is in Loudon. VA allows unlicensed OC and is much more tolerant of gun carry.

MD is a different world as pointed out.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I think it's a stupid idea.

MD law regarding carrying gets a bit "odd" and defines "firearms" differently according to what you are doing. For instance in one part of the law it states "firearm" includes a frame and a starter pistol. You'd be well versed to look at the law and wording and see what you plan to use to replicate your pistol.

Furthermore you can be charged if you use the "fake" firearm as a real firearm including pointing or or making a threat during a robbery etc.

If you want to walk around your house have at it. Leaving the house seems stupid.

Carrying a concealed weapon doesn't require studying. It's not the SAT's or BAR exam.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    excellent advice from a guy who knows.

If you want to practice drawing, go to a range. The NRA range allows it.

If you want to practice, go CCW in VA. it's legal on your UT or FL permit.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    18 years carrying concealed and I have NEVER had anyone call the police nor has anyone ever asked me about it or even appear concerned. Very few times with my badge next to the holster too.
    NONE of my co workers I have asked have never been called on or approached either. I doubt any CCW permit here has ever been "found out". I dare say it's not because they are CCW experts and never show printing, etc...
    I would also say no LEO's here on the forum have ever taken a call of someone printing or being seen with a pistol in public and ran that call to go id the carrier.

IANAL. I probably wouldn't do it but if i did, it would be with a blue gun.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    To severely streatch a chliche : Concealed inert solid training gun means Concealed. Now that we've stopped laughing , Md is Md. If a hypothetical observer *feels * threatened or endangered by your hunk of plastic/ alum that an observer just might think is an actual firearm , you've just commited 1st Degree Assult ( a prohibiting offense ).

Practice at home , or own your resiedntial property is legal with a practice gun ( or the real thing).

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    And as Blaster229 was posting while I was pecking at the keyboard ;

He's right in general. New to CCW'ers can be irrationally self concious. People aren't staring at you all the time. As long as your choices of gun , gear , and clothing is somewhat reasonably suitable , and you don't behave stupidly, nobody will notice. Heck with a little care OC can be done with 95% plus of public never noticing.

But with all that said, the ratio of potential upside vs potential downside in Maryland, if anyone actually asked me, I woukld avise against doing so.

While the practice to be concealed is largely unnecesary, there is a bit of experementation is discovering what is COMFORTABLE in various situation when done for extended time periods. Most of this can be done at home.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I would also say no LEO's here on the forum have ever taken a call of someone printing or being seen with a pistol in public and ran that call to go id the carrier.

There's some stories out there about this for sure but considering the amount of folks (legally and illegally) armed it's an EXTREMELY small amount of calls almost not even worth mentioning or worrying about.

Most folks are to caught up in their not so important life to notice anything on anyone's side. Plus with the size of cell phones now your mind is likely to dismiss it unless you are actively looking for it.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IMO so many good alternatives have been offered here I don't see the need to try what the OP proposes.

But it's his call for sure.

tech11165

Apr 4, 2013
    Good advise. I wanted to get the jitters out of the way. It sucks I have to carry out of state. Most of my out of state would be with family and doing non-routine stuff. Kind of a tough trial run. I wont use it to "point at someone or in a robbery"???? I have practiced all day in my house; no issue. Not the same thing. I don't plan to CCW in Maryland with out the permit; I just wont risk it. Thanks for everyone's reply.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Good advise. I wanted to get the jitters out of the way. It sucks I have to carry out of state. Most of my out of state would be with family and doing non-routine stuff. Kind of a tough trial run. I wont use it to "point at someone or in a robbery"???? I have practiced all day in my house; no issue. Not the same thing. I don't plan to CCW in Maryland with out the permit; I just wont risk it. Thanks for everyone's reply.

In my agency I have known brand new, small, female employees who never carried before, begin to carry Sig P229s concealed. They had "jitters" but made it through just fine. You'll be happy when the day rolls around when you couldn't care less about carrying because it's a pain in the ass.

You didn't mention what your carry pistol is. If it's a smaller one, then you might fair out more comfy and had worried about nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom