New Residents Regulated Firearms Registration?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kalos

Jan 14, 2014
    Delmar
    I understand new MD residents must register all "Regulated" firearms within 90 days.
    Supposing this 90 day limit is missed, or there is ambiguity about when the state was entered for the intent of becoming a Maryland resident. Can regulated firearms still be registered or are they forever illegal because the 90 day limit was missed?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    That has nothing to do with it. Has anyone ever checked your gun at a range to see if it was registered? :rolleyes:

If the OP gets stopped going to or from a range with an unregistered handgun, it could be a problem.

OP, when you move to Maryland, register your handguns.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    If the OP gets stopped going to or from a range with an unregistered handgun, it could be a problem.

OP, when you move to Maryland, register your handguns.

Yes, register your guns so when the government wants them they will know where to find them.:rolleyes:
    Even if you don't have anything in your car, it's always a good idea to exercise your 4th amendment right to be free from unreasonable searches without a warrant. And if you do have something in your car, for crying out loud don't have it visible to anyone who's outside the vehicle. All it does is give the authorities probable cause to search. I am NOT a lawyer!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Yes, register your guns so when the government wants them they will know where to find them.:rolleyes:
    Even if you don't have anything in your car, it's always a good idea to exercise your 4th amendment right to be free from unreasonable searches without a warrant. And if you do have something in your car, for crying out loud don't have it visible to anyone who's outside the vehicle. All it does is give the authorities probable cause to search. I am NOT a lawyer!

I do agree with you that total registration is the way to total confiscation.

If the OP decides to not register them, then I suggest he not kill anyone in defense of his home starting on day 91.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    This issue always leaves a bad taste in my mouth being military and only here for 3 years.

You are exempt from registering your firearms, unless you are stupid enough to establish MD residency.

Military, on active duty orders, are not required to establish residency in the state where they are assigned. They can maintain residency at the location they specify in their personnel files (subject to certain rules).

embermage

Sep 20, 2013
    Rising Sun
    I know, just always worries me that something might happen and there needs to be an explanation as to why my stuff isn't registered....

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    I know, just always worries me that something might happen and there needs to be an explanation as to why my stuff isn't registered....

Why?? Your Military ID establishes your AD status and your drivers license establishes your out of state residency...:thumbsup:

juan_galto

This is my user title
    Oct 23, 2011

This doesn't apply to the OP, but pre-2013 transplants (e.g., federal civilians moving to Maryland for a job) were not required to register upon establishing residency. So, the state presumably has a large workforce who hasn't registered their pre-2013 firearms.

Personally I don't see a reason for handwringing at the shooting range because there must be a large number of state residents who legally have no MD record of their scary black firearms/handguns.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Meanwhile, Kalos, the OP asks a good question.

What happens if the deadline is missed?

The law is new, and full of stupid, half-assed ill-conceived confusion.

I do seem to recall it mentioned that the law establishes no penalty for failure to register. I'm not a lawyer, not sure if that's true or what it means if it is true.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    This doesn't apply to the OP, but pre-2013 transplants (e.g., federal civilians moving to Maryland for a job) were not required to register upon establishing residency. So, the state presumably has a large workforce who hasn't registered their pre-2013 firearms.

Personally I don't see a reason for handwringing at the shooting range because there must be a large number of state residents who legally have no MD record of their scary black firearms/handguns.

100% true!

And not just federal transplants. Nobody was required to register anything (except machine guns) upon moving to Maryland. Furthermore, unrecorded face-to-face handgun sales were legal until October 1, 1996. There are also many handguns which have been in the family, or purchased before the 1960s when this started.

There are many legally owned handguns in Maryland which are not "registered", and which are not required to be. I wonder how many LEOs know that?

Sharp

Feb 21, 2015
    Calvert
    I saw this in another thread, and in the interest of not hijacking that one, brought it here:

DamnifIknow scenario - You were a Pa resident when you aquired the revolver. You became Md resident after 10/01/13 , but more than 30 days ago, but have never physically brought he gun into Md .

Congradulations ! That's a scenario that neither *we* nor the Md General Assembly ever thought of. You didn't mention your age , but while in Pa a handgun may be gifted within the family at 18yo , in Md you must be 21yo to posses one.

Is this truly an unknown scenario?

I just finished my move to MD. Unfortunately, the apartment I am in for the time being does not allow firearms, so the toy bin is temporarily residing with my parents out of state. I hadn't planned on registering my AR-15 until I actually brought it into MD and had a gun friendly apartment to live in (it seemed like a poor choice to register a firearm while living in a place that bans them), but after reading that I am not so sure it is the right move. Anyone have thoughts or experience with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom