• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    I was evaluating whether driving to NRA range in fairfax is worth it, and with the range fee and gas Gilberts would be cheaper assuming I go once a month. I've heard mixed comments as to whether they allow you to bring in your own ammo or not. I've heard a few people(members) tell me as long as your a member they're okay with it. Now I dont know if the recent suicide has anything to do with it but the guy there today told me they absolutely do not allow it. Okay, so how much for 556? 43 bucks for 50 rounds. :shocked4:

I literally just bought 40 rounds at the nra for 20 bucks. It's their business and they can run and charge for things however they want, I'm not arguing they need to change their ways. But how does anyone afford to go there and how are they in business?

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Well #1 it is "Gilbert's". They have always required purchasing ammo there that I know of, and blame it on Montgomery county regulation. I like the NRA range but my time is worth more money than the extra I pay at Gilbert's which is a 40 minute round trip vs a 2 hour rt to the NRA. May want to note they will let you bring air gun ammo in , so if you have some nice air rifles shoot them at no extra cost. The monthly $30 fee gives you as much time on the lane you want if it is not full, which during the week never seems a problem. As far as people affording it, Montgomery County is dripping with wealthy people..

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Well #1 it is "Gilbert's". They have always required purchasing ammo there that I know of, and blame it on Montgomery county regulation. I like the NRA range but my time is worth more money than the extra I pay at Gilbert's which is a 40 minute round trip vs a 2 hour rt to the NRA. May want to note they will let you bring air gun ammo in , so if you have some nice air rifles shoot them at no extra cost. The monthly $30 fee gives you as much time on the lane you want if it is not full, which during the week never seems a problem. As far as people affording it, Montgomery County is dripping with STUPID people..

Fify

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I like Gilbert's for the sole reason that they will permit you to shoot full auto.

donw@fyi.net

Mar 20, 2014
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Pros and Cons for Gilberts

I live fairly close to Gilbert's and have worked out a compromise.

First of all I like the manager, Bryan - a lot!. He taught me how to shoot and how to clean a gun. He's gone out of his way to help me on several occasions.

However, when I got my 1911 I realized that I could buy a box of .45 ACP for somewhere around $21 on-line and $24 at the NRA Range for Federal or Speer's. Gilbert's demanded almost $50 a box for somebody's re-loads. Simple solution -- I drive to the NRA when I'm shooting .45.

On the other hand, I've also got a couple of 9mm pistols. I can feed them about anything. I can buy a box of ammo for $12-$15 on line. Gilbert's wants about $30 for the same box. It costs me more than the extra $15 to drive to Fairfax. So I use Gilbert's when I shoot 9mm.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I remember when Gilberts had a gun store on Rockville Pike many moons ago. My wife went in there to buy an AR 15 as a surprise gift for me. Instead of trying to figure out what she wanted, they instead treated her as if she were from another planet. No sale for them that day. Gilbert Guns epitomized the term, Dickhead Gun Store Owners Syndrome.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I stopped going after I heard people behind the counter bad-mouthing Engage to other customers, and telling them to drive 20 min out of their way to go to another store. I used to go there about once a week... I abandoned my membership and have not walked in there since. People like that don't deserve my business.

Of course, it didn't help that I never felt safe in the place. The problem with public ranges is, well, the public... people do monumentally stupid crap. And a public range without a RSO is a recipe for disaster.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I remember when Gilberts had a gun store on Rockville Pike many moons ago. My wife went in there to buy an AR 15 as a surprise gift for me. Instead of trying to figure out what she wanted, they instead treated her as if she were from another planet. No sale for them that day. Gilbert Guns epitomized the term, Dickhead Gun Store Owners Syndrome.

There's a reason they don't sell anymore. My understanding is that they got several warnings during BATFE inspections about missing guns. When guns kept disappearing, their FFL got pulled for good. I've heard rumors that they have applied a couple times to get it reinstated, but have been rejected. All of that is through the "grapevine" so take it for what its worth.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Wow, that's a lot of violations! Way worse than what I had heard.

Yea, Dick did some dumb things years ago and it came back to bite him in the a$$. I remember when they were in the storefront on the Pike in Rockville and only had 1 or 2 AR's because they weren't a popular rifle 30 years ago!! The owner is a really nice guy. can't say the same for some of his employee's though.

Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012
    In my limited experience at Gilberts they don't allow you to bring your own ammo. Staff is a mixed bag. Some are professional. Others are not. Last time (about 18 months ago) I was there they rented some novices several pistols including a DE 50 cal. The guys were in the next lane to me with a Gilberts' staff person. Much clowning around, general showboating, and too little control being exercised by the staff. Finally I hear "I want to shoot the big gun!". Guy hits himself in the forehead on the recoil. I packed up and left and never returned.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    There's a reason they don't sell anymore. My understanding is that they got several warnings during BATFE inspections about missing guns. When guns kept disappearing, their FFL got pulled for good. I've heard rumors that they have applied a couple times to get it reinstated, but have been rejected. All of that is through the "grapevine" so take it for what its worth.

Unfortunately none manifested them selves into my collection.:lol2:

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Unfortunately none manifested them selves into my collection.:lol2:
    Honestly- I'd rather not have a "free" or less than retail firearm that at one point was (our should have been) a part of their bound book. That's a world of hurt- just waiting to happen.
    Edit: and I'd be absolutely livid if I paid retail/sale prices on a firearm from them that was documented correctly. - this does remind me of another thread with a spent casing. (Not nearly the same level)

I was former annual member at Gilberts, it's not worth the cost in my opinion. Ammo is obscenely overpriced, even at the annual member prices (with the exception of 9mm that is only slightly overpriced); when there is 4 people working and 4 customers - a customer waiting to check out shouldn't be waiting for 15 min for the employees to stop screwing around with each other.

Maybe things have changed but I can spend my time and money elsewhere and I do.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I figured they stayed in business because the fleeced enough from one time visitors daily to pay their rent every month and then some... They got me and my wife's money ONCE a few years ago, and never again. It was my wife's first time shooting, and she almost veto'ed my whole aspiring shooting hobby after seeing the cost of 1.5hrs of shooting there, her thinkin the cost was unsustainable! Years later, I'm happy to be an AGC and On Target member. That and the occasional shoot at MSAR - Rifle side only btw.... As for NRA Fairfax? I'd go if it wasn't for dealin with 66 - I just don't have time for that kinda time suck in traffic.

Oh, and I've heard from more than one MoCo gun shop that their excuse for being "forced" to sell ammo to shooters has been bogus and overturned for years. I myself am a businessman, and I'm all for a biz makin a buck, but I'll be damned if I'll be somebody's huckleberry on ridiculous markups!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom