• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 20, 2016
    Hi all!

My dad is driving up from out of state soon. From my reading of the FSA, it seems that it would be legal for him to bring his pistols along for a father/son range day.

Section 1, 4-203 (b)(4):

"the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or
    informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources–sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;"

Here's my reading of the law :deal:

1. These exceptions to the prohibition on handgun transportation apply to "a person"; whether that person must be a resident is not specified.

2. My dad would be bringing his pistols to MD for target practice, a sanctioned purpose under the law.

3. Although not mentioned in the law as a requirement, his pistols are on the handgun roster. (Not sure whether that makes a difference.)

Is my interpretation correct? Alternative readings appreciated :)

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    IANAL but, IF he's driving up from another state, he can drive to your house no problem.
    In Md he can drive from your house to the range with the handguns.
    Guns in the trunk, unloaded and separated from ammo for best results.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    IANAL but, IF he's driving up from another state, he can drive to your house no problem.
    In Md he can drive from your house to the range with the handguns.
    Guns in the trunk, unloaded and separated from ammo for best results.

I agree. FOPA to your house; MD Law for the range.

Feb 20, 2016
    Thanks for your replies.

I looked up the clause in FOPA regarding transportation:

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided that in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

So it seems FOPA protects the transportation from a lawful place of possession, to a lawful place of possession. Would Maryland count as a "lawful place of possession" for an out-of-state resident with a handgun? Am I reading this incorrectly?

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I'm not a lawyer either but I think you are fine. FOPA to your house, then he should offload any handguns at your house except for trips to the range. Just make sure he isn't riding around in general with them.

Then FOPA home.

As bad as MD is, I think you are OK. In other words, were it me I would be OK with it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    He's fine coming up to your house. You and he are fine going to/ from range ( or other Md aproved destination.

The part he would have to be careful about is not having the pistol ( even if FOPA complient manner) in the trunk for thr remainder of his sightseeing, sicializing, visiting friends, general everyday running around, etc .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom