• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    I realize that I like shooting outdoors in the fall/winter as opposed to at an inside range. Any suggestions for outdoor shooting gloves?

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    I took an old pair of the brown jersey gloves that had worn out at the index and thumb of my strong hand and cut the finger and thumb off the glove. Good enough for me.

But these are the gloves I prefer for most outdoor activities - heavier gloves and my hands sweat and get cold inside the gloves anyway.

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    Mechanix gloves look decent, but there are soooo many different versions now. I'll was thinking maybe ones with finger tips missing to stay in the trigger guard.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Mechanix gloves look decent, but there are soooo many different versions now. I'll was thinking maybe ones with finger tips missing to stay in the trigger guard.

Sounds good in theory. But it's hard to shoot in winter for any length of time if your fingertips are numb.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    These are handy to keep around
    hand-warmers.jpg

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust
    Sounds good in theory. But it's hard to shoot in winter for any length of time if your fingertips are numb.

I agree but it takes training to get used to it. It does make it a little difficult to feel the trigger sometimes. if it is too bad for anyone, cut the tip off the trigger finger on the glove.

These are handy to keep around
    hand-warmers.jpg

this helps solve it too.... ^^^^ :thumbsup:

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Got just a good pair of "mechanix gloves". the basic ones, not the heavy , padded ones.
    I use these as well.

In reguards to the handwarmers. Deer have great noses any idea if they can smell these? I dont use them I just sit there in the cold but would love to have them :)

bigdaddycoolfm

Mar 24, 2014
    What i use..

I have a pair of the cold weather Mechanix gloves then i have a pair of wool mittens that the front folds back off the fingers.. both are good for gun and bow.

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    I use these hand warmers and the foot warmers both while hunting. Haven't noticed the deer smelling them. Take a zip lock bag with you and when the air temp gets warm enough put the hand warmers in the bag, squeeze out the air, and you will be able to use them again later.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I use these as well.

In reguards to the handwarmers. Deer have great noses any idea if they can smell these? I dont use them I just sit there in the cold but would love to have them :)

Deer can smell my truck and have no problem running right out in front of it. :lol2:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I have moderately poor circulation in my extremities and am pretty sensitive to temperature, I can tell you that ANY glove makes at least some difference. Compared to going bare handed, black or blue nitrile gloves work pretty well for me. XL nitrile gloves can also be helpful as an additional layer over another thin mechanic's glove.

As to the feel of the gun thru gloves, it varies for me depending on the gun. Some just don't feel right with any glove and other guns I am fine with shooting with a mechanic's glove or nitrile gloves.

It took me a while to realize most cheap mechanic's gloves are made of paper. You can tell as the paper wears and flakes off. I have occasionally extended the life and toughened some paper mechanic's gloves by using super glue when they started to flake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom