• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I recently turned in my first form 1 and had my lower engraved in the traditional spot on the side of the receiver. I have recently discovered that some have been engraving the trigger guards on thier SBR rifles. How is this legal to do with a removable part? Or is it not?

Just wondering what thoughts others here had.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Many billet lowers have a nonremovable trigger guard. I've had two forged lowers engraved under the trigger guard. I can't imagine a non permanent part engraving being legal.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    True. Didn't think of billet or say a smith m&p lower. But other then a lower that has one milled into it.... Is it legal?

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    The name of the maker has to be engraved into the frame of the firearm so that depends on whether the removable trigger guard is considered part of the frame.

MACTHEGUN

Aug 18, 2014
    I've seen one engraved on the grip "stub" located underneath the grip that wouldn't show when the gun was assembled.

Is this acceptable?

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Is there any clear literature from the ATF that specifies where a firearm must be engraved? I know there are depth requirements but is it actually spelled out anywhere?

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Is there any clear literature from the ATF that specifies where a firearm must be engraved? I know there are depth requirements but is it actually spelled out anywhere?

From Chapter 6 of the NFA Handbook:

"The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model,
    and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon.96 The
    marking and identification requirements for a maker are the same as for a manufacturer. Refer to
    section 7.4 for a detailed discussion of the requirements."

And from Chapter 7"

Section 7.4 The identification of firearms.
    7.4.1 Serial numbers. Each manufacturer of a firearm must legibly identify it by engraving, stamping
    (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing on the firearm’s frame or receiver an individual serial
    number not duplicating any serial number placed by the manufacturer on any other firearm.120 The
    requirement that the marking be “conspicuously” placed on the firearm means that the marking must be
    wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, the serial
    number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch.

7.4.2 Additional information. Certain additional information must also be conspicuously placed on
    the frame, receiver, or barrel of the firearm by engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), that is, they
    must be placed in such a manner that they are wholly unobstructed from plain view.
    For firearms
    manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch.
    The additional information includes:
    (1) The model, if such designation has been made;
    (2) The caliber or gauge;
    (3) The manufacturer’s name (or recognized abbreviation); and
    (4) The city and State (or recognized abbreviation) where the manufacturer maintains its place
    of business.122

Under the pistol grip DOES NOT COMPLY according to this. Under the trigger guard should work though. I would also say that engraving the barrel with the maker name of the firearm wouldn't work with an AR if you're putting a handguard over it.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Thanks Ty - getting ready to do my first Form 1 SBR

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    So underneath that trigger guard... Where the firearm has to be flipped over and studied to find the engraving is considered " wholly unobstructed from plain view"?

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    I think so. Id say its just as unobstructed from plain view as my trust name and city, state engraved on the right side of my receiver when fired by a lefr hander. And my guess is that it wouldn't be considered an issue by the ATF unless someone wrote them and asked.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I think so. Id say its just as unobstructed from plain view as my trust name and city, state engraved on the right side of my receiver when fired by a lefr hander. And my guess is that it wouldn't be considered an issue by the ATF unless someone wrote them and asked.

That's a good way to look at it. I am new to this but the first SBR will surely not be the last.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011

Is it legal to have a multi caliber SBR? Getting ready to build one and thought it would be nice to have 9MM and 300AAC as well as 5.56 options.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Is it legal to have a multi caliber SBR? Getting ready to build one and thought it would be nice to have 9MM and 300AAC as well as 5.56 options.

When filling out your Form 1, you must pick a caliber. Although they list "Multi" in the drop down, you cannot choose that option. You must pick a specific caliber. Having said that, you can then put whatever caliber upper you choose as long as it is not a permanent modification. Hope that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom