M77.jpg
      32.2 KB · Views: 2,281
    Last edited:

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    How much for the 5.45 saigas? Are they converted?

The 5.45 Saigas are $600, I have two of them arriving this week. They are not converted, and cannot be lawfully converted while residing in MD. The reason these are exempt is specifically spelled out in MSP BUlletin 96-1; they are exempt because they are eligible for import due to their sporterized configuration. To alter an exempt sporter rifle purchased after Oct 1, 2013 would place you in possession of a banned rifle, akin to purchasing a HBAR and swapping the upper for a gov't profile barrel.

Lerlactl

Oct 17, 2010
    One question before I start selling things in order buy another rifle. Will the 7.62 x 39 VEPR's accept a double stack magazine?

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    The 5.45 Saigas are $600, I have two of them arriving this week. They are not converted, and cannot be lawfully converted while residing in MD. The reason these are exempt is specifically spelled out in MSP BUlletin 96-1; they are exempt because they are eligible for import due to their sporterized configuration. To alter an exempt sporter rifle purchased after Oct 1, 2013 would place you in possession of a banned rifle, akin to purchasing a HBAR and swapping the upper for a gov't profile barrel.
    please PM me a prie on a vepr 7.62x54R!!!!!

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    and by putting a bullet guide in them makes them a ban weapon correct ?

I'll have to check into that to verify. Basically, if it ends up in a configuration that would be ineligible for import into the US, then the rifle is no longer exempt.

Are the receivers slant cut or straight?

I don't have them in hand yet, so I will refrain from comment until I know for certain.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    I'm in for Saiga 5.45 if I can save my pennies. I still have Bulgarian 30 rounders from when I sold my Century AK-74 before the panic started. :/

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    What is is on these that constitutes "sporterized configuration"?

If a firearm is eligible for import, then it is recognized to be suitable for "sporting purpose". Here's the general overview from the ATF import handbook:

Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA)
    The Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA) generally prohibits the importation of firearms, firearm frames or receivers, firearm barrels and ammunition into the United States. However, the GCA creates several narrow categories of firearms the Attorney General shall authorize for importation. In general, the GCA provides in Title 18, United States Code (U.S.C.), Chapter 44, Section 925 that firearms or ammunition may be imported into the United States: (1) for the purpose of scientific testing or research or for competition training under the provisions of Title 10, Chapter 401; (2) as unserviceable firearms, other than a machinegun as defined in 26 U.S.C. § 5844, (not readily restorable to firing condition) if imported as a curio or museum piece; (3) if the firearms or ammunition are of a type generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to "sporting purposes"; or (4) the firearms or ammunition were previously taken out of the United States by the person who is bringing in the firearms or ammunition. Surplus military firearms and other non-sporting firearms qualifying as "curios or relics" may be imported. 18 U.S.C. § 925 (e). Title 18 U.S.C. § 925(a)(1) provides that the prohibition on the importation of firearms, firearm frames or receivers, firearm barrels and ammunition does not apply to the importation of firearms or ammunition sold or shipped to, or issued for the use of the United States or any department or agency thereof, or any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof.
    Handguns being imported into the United States must also be recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes under 18 U.S.C. § 925(d)(3). An ATF Form 4590, Factoring Criteria for Weapons, is used in evaluating handguns for these purposes.
    Handguns evaluated on the Form 4590 must obtain a certain numeric value before they are approved for importation. The factoring criteria are based upon certain considerations such as dimensions, material used in construction, weight, caliber, safety features, and miscellaneous equipment. For additional information on the importability of handguns, see Factoring Criteria in this FEIB Guidebook.
    In determining whether a particular rifle or shotgun is suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes within the meaning of the statute, ATF generally relies upon an analysis of the physical features of the firearm. Determinations regarding the classification of a specific rifle or shotgun are made on a case-by-case basis using criteria that includes the overall
    appearance, length, weight, receiver or frame design and construction, designed magazine capacity, configuration and the presence of various physical characteristics designed for military and law enforcement application that distinguish the sample rifle or shotgun from traditional sporting firearms. (See e.g., ATF Rul. 94-1, 94-2, 95-3).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom