• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigdaddycoolfm

Mar 24, 2014
    So I am thinking about picking up a 17HMR rifle.. What is everyones thoughts and experience with them? Yes I know they are more expensive to shoot, but I can go and get ammo anytime and there is never a shortage nor limits to buy. I hear they are extremely flat shooting and crazy accurate..
    Good Varmit guns from what i hear also..
    lets hear it from you all...
    :thumbsup: or :tdown:

Dar_le

Jul 14, 2014
    Baltimore, County
    I have a Mossberg817 in .17hmr and love the way it shoots. No complaints here. Finding ammo usually isn't an issue unless you are trying to buy in bulk.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Ammo is easy to find and not expensive compared to other rifle ammo, ignoring 22LR. Ruptured shell casings are the biggest problem. If you're used to shooting 22LR 100 yards or more, you might have to adapt to 17HMR shooting much flatter, as you mentioned.

Pablopac

pablopac
    Aug 7, 2012
    Had a savage, loved it. Sold it to purchase ruger american in 17 HMR. Love it more! I take tree rats to about 125 yards, head shots. You will love it.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Great round! I have a savage and love it. A good breeze will push it easily off the mark especially at longer ranges. And those little holes it makes are hard for my eyes to see at 100 yards. .

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Here's a group my daughter shot when she was 10. Gun was a savage. Also have one in marlin. Both shoot about the same

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      59.2 KB · Views: 420

bigdaddycoolfm

Mar 24, 2014
    definitely on my wish list now!!

Guess next step is to start shopping...saw a few in cabelas and BassPro for about $399 with decent scope mounted...

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    I've wanted one for a while, after shooting a buddy's. I may get a Savage this spring.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Guess next step is to start shopping...saw a few in cabelas and BassPro for about $399 with decent scope mounted...

Fun round, definitely worth having.

IMO, forego the models with optics already mounted - there's a reason why they can offer that package for the price. Mediocre quality rings and glass.

For the capability of the round, buy a base model and spend $$ for a nicer optic/rings package.

JMHO.

bigdaddycoolfm

Mar 24, 2014
    aye

IMO, forego the models with optics already mounted - there's a reason why they can offer that package for the price. Mediocre quality rings and glass.

For the capability of the round, buy a base model and spend $$ for a nicer optic/rings package.

JMHO.

makes perfect sense..:thumbsup:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Wind isn't as big a factor as many would think. Go over to rimfirecentral.com for a wealth of info on these. Savage is a good entry level gun. If you can up the ante a little get a CZ.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

JMHO.

Gotta absolutely agree with this man's thoughts!

I read about this tiny cartridge off and on for 10 years before I decided to try it. I'm skeptical by nature. But for me anyway, this little round completely redefined what I had previously thought a rimfire to be capable of. This cartridge is very flat shooting within the ranges for which it was designed, and it is scary accurate within it's range.

For the small targets for which the cartridge was designed, do indeed invest in good glass. This little round is capable of consistent and repeatable accuracy, but you can't shoot any better than you can see.

I'm going to bet that you're also going to find that your rifle will exhibit a very definite preference for ammo. Try all of the available brands, find out what your rifle likes, and lay in a good stock of it. Then enjoy it, because it is definitely a fun little cartridge!

bigdaddycoolfm

Mar 24, 2014
    called out to Duffy's

Wind isn't as big a factor as many would think. Go over to rimfirecentral.com for a wealth of info on these. Savage is a good entry level gun. If you can up the ante a little get a CZ.

I think i may be taking a trip out there next week.. they have a few to choose from including a CZ swap barrel 17\22..forgot to ask prices..dang it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom