• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Hello everyone, and I'd like to introduce you to my first C&R project gun I intend to work on, a Savage No.4 Mk.1 * that I am going to convert to a No.4 Mk.1 (T) if possible, otherwise I'll consider other options including the original format of the rifle.

I will say this now: Cost is not a terrible issue as I will be making a gun not worth the cost in materials but this is for my personal use and enjoyment.

Anyway: It seems there are some small rust burrs near where the mouth of the throat would be that need to be smoothed-out. The barrel is said to match the rifle and was said to be able to still accept a #0 bolt head, but I'm going to check with a smith before I proceed on this.

Overall needs atm will be listed here and I will post progress reports as parts come in.

I currently need the Stock, Trigger Assembly, All Bands and Screws, Scope Mount, and Scope. I already have acquired a bolt with a #0 and #1 bolt head.

Anyway, if any of you wish to toss in some advice on how to get this done by all means toss it over. I'm going to get a smith to attach the barrel and the scope mount and I'll be doing the rest myself.

Pictures as follows, and do note I got the barrel inside a box with the socks protecting it:

Enjoy!

IMG_20150727_171541679_zpsn14a69gi.jpg

IMG_20150727_171551537_zpsjfiitebh.jpg

IMG_20150727_171551537_zpsjfiitebh.jpg

IMG_20150727_171630651_zpsiiwgsm7o.jpg

IMG_20150727_171653111_zpsl8rkpb10.jpg

IMG_20150727_171739680_zps8d70dwba.jpg

IMG_20150727_171800044_HDR_zpsctdjmvjm.jpg

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    First off, I congratulate you on wanting to bring this veteran back to its former glory. It is good that you recognize up front that you'll likely be sinking more money into the project then it will be worth in the end (and I understand the motivation).

Not sure if you are ready to start sourcing parts yet or not, but this is one of my go to places. Most of his stuff comes with plenty of honest wear unless he says NOS.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewcategories.asp?idCategory=63

There is a really good enfield part source I'm trying to think of (good source of bolt heads), but I guess I didn't book mark it. I'm sure someone will add it if you need it.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    I already have Liberty Tree bookmarked, thanks though. I got some spare bolt heads from them. I got a #3 bolt head I can pull from another of my Enfields and 2 #0's and a #1 lying around. Right now though my first priority is to get the parts inspected.

Push comes to shove and the barrel is too worn I'll have to make an attempt to get a Criterion #4 barrel and put it on. I'll also be checking Numrich and a few others like Hoosiers for bands and screws as I can. With any luck, I'll have them up in time for Christmas.

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    As someone who just finished doing the same thing with a stripped down '03a3 receiver, it'll be worth it by the time it's said and done. :D

What I started with...
    IMG_1089_zps2ce56202.jpg

And what I ended with...

Attachments

• 03A4 Build 2.jpg
      03A4 Build 2.jpg
      17.2 KB · Views: 154
    • 03A4 Build 1.jpg
      03A4 Build 1.jpg
      19.2 KB · Views: 164

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Ok, going to ask for a little help with this part. I'm currently hunting for a Savage stock or a reproduction that can fit the savage receiver I have. I'll be hunting around for a bit on my own by a lead would be nice. Thanks for the advice and links so far!

EDIT: Ok, got the stock from here: http://www.apexgunparts.com/enfield-4-mk1-stock-set-four-pieces-savage-very-good.html. Got a source already for bands and screws, but I'll see about getting the Savage-stamped ones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom