Cheapest 5.56 Steel Penetrator 62GR Bullets?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Howdy folks,

With the imposing potential ban... I'm wondering if anyone knows a source with cheap 62 GR 5.56 bullets. Think I may try to load a few up before the potential ban.

Thanks!

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    Cheap is going to be tough. Most of the re-sellers are out and the others selling them are asking to much. How many are you looking to buy?

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I know I am late to the game! Figured the reloading market wouldn't be as volatile as the ammo market but maybe I'm wrong.

I'd be a buyer for 500-1000 depending on price.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Howdy folks,

With the imposing potential ban... I'm wondering if anyone knows a source with cheap 62 GR 5.56 bullets. Think I may try to load a few up before the potential ban.

Thanks!

There is nothing special about that 62 grain bullet.

55 grain FMJ will do the job just as well or better.

Save your money.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Unless you are trying to shoot through a typical infantry helmet. :)

But components jumped in price and dropped in availability at the same pace as the ammunition.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    Yeah, the problem with "we have to ban these because they can go through a cops bullet proof vest" argument is;

1st we know this administration is about as anti police as any have been.

2nd there are not many centerfire rifle rounds that won't defeat a bullet proof jacket.

3rd and all of you guys with the Sig brace thought you were "pulling a fast one" on them until you realize now they can say that there are a number of "pistols" that shoot this round.

If you just want something for show and tell with your friends just go get some 50 BMG AP or API.

Passes through 1" plate steel like its not even there.

steel1in.jpg

1insteel.jpg

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Look for bullet heads (components) finally got the 1,000 I ordered from Wideners.

Honestly, instead of following the herd on getting 855 (and you can load some much better, deeper penetrating conventional rounds) stock up on what they will go after next.

My bet is 7.62*54

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    What other bullets are available that are better penetrators or closer to AP?

And thanks for the advice guys. Have all the 7.62x54R I can fit for now. I will say, I don't know what will be next after the R.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Yep, it's the whole pistol thing that is bringing this on. Everyone thinks all pistols are easily concealable so here we are.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What are you trying to penetrate?

Normal 55 gr FMJs will penetrate 3/8" mild steel at 100 yards.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I've always wanted to do a steel penetration test comparing Tulamo to regular non steel jacketed stuff. I once took apart Tulamo 9mm. There is a heavy steel jacket around the lead. I've put surplus 7.62x54r through trees.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I made some swinging steel targets MANY years ago out of mild steel. Great when shot with pistols at around 50 yards. Nice clang and swing. Big stuff, like .44 Mag put a nice bullets sized dent in it.

Shot it with 5.56, basic 55 gr FMJ. Nothing. No noise. No swing, nothing. Emptied mag.

Walked up during cease fire and found holes right through it. Not even enough energy transfer to make it move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom