• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eluxman

Mar 21, 2014
    Joppa
    So I'm going Elk hunting in Colorado this Oct & I have 30.06 & 308 I want to get a nice used
    7mm mag I'm looking at a Winchester model 70 bolt action or a
    Remington 700 BDL bolt action any advice from you guys on which one
    Thanks

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Get a Remington 700 that was built before 2009.

Why 2009, you ask????

2009 is when Remington started going downhill, IMNSHO.

I have a 'line' on a Remington (made by Zastava) w/ Mauser action 7mm Magnum that's for sale, by an old friend of the family.

What are you willing to pay???

He is NOT going to 'give it away'. I'm actually considering buying it, but, I don't really need a 7mm Mag. I don't care for the see-thru scope mount/rings that he has on it, either. Just not my style.

My '06; .308; or even .45-70 will do what I need it to do. I'm just a Mauser action fan. (Yes, I know...... Winchester actions are based on the Mauser.
    Winchester's stock just don't fit me.)

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just sayin' , a .30-06 will certainly kill Elk. But if you *want* a 7mm Mag , feel free.

The M798 that Bfy43 mentioned is essentially a Mark X bbl'ed action in a BDL shaped stock , what's not to love. ( At least as long as you replace the scope rings.)

willy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 13, 2013
    Carroll County
    What length barrel is you 30.06? 180 gr 30.06 should do the trick out to 400 yards. Sure you don't want a .338 win mag?
    I shot one once, well...that was enough.:eek:

Hornaday's 200 gr (13 g) SST Superformance load has muzzle enegy of 4,076 ft·lbf (5,526 J) @ 3030fps. It maintains 1,899 ft·lbf (2,575 J) @ 2068fps @ 500 meters.
    Hornaday's 225 gr (14.6 g) SST Superformance load has muzzle enegy of 4,029 ft·lbf (5,463 J) @ 2840fps. It maintains 2,025 ft·lbf (2,746 J) @ 2014fps @ 500 meters.
    This is from a 24" test barrel as compared to 27.5" test barrel for a 338 Lapua. Figures would be higher if shot from a 27.5" test barrel but still over 150fps slower than a 338 Lapua if tested with the same length barrel.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Ya'll are forgetting that the 7mm Magnum is one, flat shoot'in son of a biatch.

As in: Much less of a drop when going long.

I say do it.

Eluxman

Mar 21, 2014
    Joppa
    The 30.06 is a Remington 7600 pump 22" barrel I know it will kill a elk so will the 308 but I'm hunting 10,000 feet up in the mountains on horse back & I may have 300 -400 yard shot & I know 7mm mag shoots flat my question is Winchester model 70 or Remington 700
    Thanks

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Winchester. I like their safety better, I think they carry one more round too. Hope you don't need that feature.:D Good luck with either and the elk.:envy:

Eluxman

Mar 21, 2014
    Joppa
    Get a Remington 700 that was built before 2009.

Why 2009, you ask????

2009 is when Remington started going downhill, IMNSHO.

I have a 'line' on a Remington (made by Zastava) w/ Mauser action 7mm Magnum that's for sale, by an old friend of the family.

What are you willing to pay???

He is NOT going to 'give it away'. I'm actually considering buying it, but, I don't really need a 7mm Mag. I don't care for the see-thru scope mount/rings that he has on it, either. Just not my style.

My '06; .308; or even .45-70 will do what I need it to do. I'm just a Mauser action fan. (Yes, I know...... Winchester actions are based on the Mauser.
    Winchester's stock just don't fit me.)

Do you know what he's asking for
    Remington (made by Zastava) w/ Mauser action 7mm any chance you could email me a picture ? & what part of town
    Thanks

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Rem 700. I actually prefer the Remington safety to the Winchester (and post tang safety Ruger). I shoot rifles left handed most of the time (I'm ambidextrous and can shoot either hand almost equally). I also think the Remington safety is quieter...which doesnt matter if the game being shot is at long range.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    I would suggest going with a Winchester, but if you find one in 7mm STW...all the better for long range shots at elk.

They have a bid for $800, on a Winchester Model 70 in 7mm STW, on GunBroker...approx. 3 hours left.

Last edited:

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    Ya'll are forgetting that the 7mm Magnum is one, flat shoot'in son of a biatch.

As in: Much less of a drop when going long.

I say do it.

I have taken a few elk and bear with a 7mm out west and am 100% confident in the round. There are other choices that will get the job done so research is your friend but my choice 7mm.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Do you know what he's asking for
    Remington (made by Zastava) w/ Mauser action 7mm any chance you could email me a picture ? & what part of town
    Thanks

The rifle is in St. Mary's County.

The guy that owns it, is a very early 'riser' and goes to be early.

I'll talk to him this weekend and try to get some pics.

My son is really wanting me to buy it.

We'll see. I'll see what he wants for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom