• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    i am just wondering if someone gets caught with less than 10 grams and they get a ticket , or if they get caught with over 10 grams and get arrested, wont both , or either,scenario
    cause you to lose your 2a rights if not on the state level but the federal level. it would sem to me either way you would lose it on the federal level but i dont know about the state level.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Decriminalization is definitely not legalization and does nothing to stop the black market and the drug gangs and dealers that control it. Real legalization would include regulating the sale of marijuana similar to alcohol.

In many ways it's as bad as a criminalized ban, there is a civil penalty/fine instead of a criminal one, so on one hand a casual user is less likely to end up in prison over it, but the gov is more likely to enforce it, being there is "revenue" to be had. Probably will encourage casual users to smoke more, or those on the fence to try it, and without a legitimate supply, the black market is left as the primary supplier, and will probably grow as a result. In this case criminal organizations and an overbearing government both benefit. The state still can use the civil crime as justification for search and seizure, there is still a national "drug problem" that the uninformed beg the government for help with, there is still a need to keep up the war on drugs as distribution and manufacture are still crimes, the criminal supply network still requires a militarized police force to fight, and the drug remains relatively unsafe due to the nature of illicit manufacture and distribution.

It's up there with the "medical marijuana" scheme where government trades some control of addicts and infrastructure through the judicial system, and hands it over to the regulatory system including a whole new list of unenforceable crimes stemming from an illicit secondary market for legally obtained drugs, and the difficulty in determining weather drugs have a legitimate or illicit source, while opening up citizens to arrest for essentially paperwork infractions. Even the "treat it like liquor" hands a gigantic source of revenue and control over to the government, and allows yet another unconstitutional vice industry to be controlled, with the black market still having the ability to undercut regulated and taxed drugs, or sell in areas with local prohibitions, and those who grow it themselves are still committing a profitable and difficult to enforce crime.

Outside of repealing the laws, and handing it over unregulated, or at most a lightly regulated commercial industry(similar regulation to food, or at most wine), without restriction to a personal or local level market, there will still be a much higher cost to lives and freedom from the government than from drug users. The only other way to end the costly drug prohibition would be to lace every seized drug with a completely fatal, delayed, and undetectable poison then redistribute it to basically execute every drug user, and let everyone that is left try to recover as a society. I would never touch it legal or illegal, so I don't really care, completely deregulate it, kill every user, either way it probably has far less chance of hurting me and other law abiding non-users than the collateral damage resulting from the current war on drugs.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    The state still can use the civil crime as justification for search and seizure

This part will have to play out. There is no search incident to arrest if you never have an arrest. A civil citation is not an arrest in fact even if you are released on a criminal citation no arrest occurred. This has been decided in MD high courts as well as SCTOUS.

Furthermore if it's in a car there is a good debate to be had if you can search the car/occupants since it's illegal over ten grams and there is no way to tell by smell. I'd venture to say some judges are going to say no.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If I'm not mistaken, even with the more liberal law in Colorado ... arrests have remained at the same level there. The illegal trade has remained the same and the black market flourishes.

Like the majority of gun restriction laws, its a zero sum gain - a feel good law.

Chris0nllyn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 6, 2012
    Calvert County
    So what happens when a car gets pulled over and there's 4 people, an ounce, and 2 bowls?

Will all officers have scales? Will they be calibrated? How often? Who's paying for officers to get scales if they don't have them?

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    We are seeing the same thing about bail hearings and other legalities in the state. If the law imprisons more blacks then whites something must be wrong with the law and fixed.

The problem isn't with the law, it's with the enforcement. The law doesn't have any sort of system where the darker your skin is the harsher penalties you get. That's more a failing of the systems that surround the law.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Thought they approved a 10 gram legal limit for possession with zero penalties...

If I am wrong, I will certainly stand corrected.

1st fine $ 100
    2nd $500
    3rd $1000 and drug treatment

WHWnMyk.jpg

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    If I'm not mistaken, even with the more liberal law in Colorado ... arrests have remained at the same level there. The illegal trade has remained the same and the black market flourishes.

Like the majority of gun restriction laws, its a zero sum gain - a feel good law.

Yep, but nobody wants to hear that. Also what people don't want to believe is marijuana is a criminal enterprise's cash cow. Low cost of production and will grow anywhere. The margins are high on the production end. The modern drug cartels are not the same as Al Capone and the old alcohol bootleggers.

NavyATFP

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 3, 2013
    Hyattsville
    1st fine $ 100
    2nd $500
    3rd $1000 and drug treatment

No way currently for the LEO to write a ticket for 2nd or third offense as they cant see non criminal(civil penalties) activities in the system. So now they will either have to add capability to see civil issues which then opens up a whole other can of worms or each ticket will be a first offense over and over and over.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    No way currently for the LEO to write a ticket for 2nd or third offense as they cant see non criminal(civil penalties) activities in the system. So now they will either have to add capability to see civil issues which then opens up a whole other can of worms or each ticket will be a first offense over and over and over.

Unless the offender is known to the officer concerned ...

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If my plastic bag contains KFC, will the herbs be confiscated but spices left behind? How do you know which of the eleven are herbs and not spices? Is there a hearing process to reclaim my KFC herbs? Curious minds just gotz to know. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tse3gbs

Latest threads

Top Bottom