• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    I live above Frostburg out in the sticks. on a farm. My two outside farm dogs run free. Their job is to keep other animals and things away from the house. They do a great job of this. But lately these damn Porcupines are costing me a fortune in vet bills !
    3-4 weeks ago my younger dog got into one and we were lucky enough to get the quills out of him. Last monday my other dog go into them big time ! cost me $200 vet bill this time and $250 last year. This was the 4th time he has been in them in 4 years.
    Now, today BOTH the dogs show up with quills all over them !
    What the hell is going on with these porcupines? we never had them here AT ALL before about 4 years ago , now the vet says he sees 3-4 cases a week just at his office.:mad54:

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    You'd think the dogs would know better than to mess with them after a coupe of times. (If not the first.)

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Old joke:

Q: What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW?

A: With a porcupine, the pricks are on the outside.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Your dogs seem to be slow learners. :)

Its only a matter of a curious critter getting to close to a porcupine.

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    $319 bucks this week. Last week was $210. This is becoming on expensive Porcupine.. Anyone have any ideas how to trap this thing? I have two live traps but don't want to use foot traps because I know I would just trap my dogs.

And I know you guys are thinking, "Why don't you just pen the dogs up" I would do that but I live WAY back in the sticks and without the dogs out and about my property becomes a bear haven and those things REALLY do some damage to my apples trees, vehicles and outbuildings.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Porcupines are a fine meal
    :puke:

$319 bucks this week. Last week was $210. This is becoming on expensive Porcupine.. Anyone have any ideas how to trap this thing? I have two live traps but don't want to use foot traps because I know I would just trap my dogs.

And I know you guys are thinking, "Why don't you just pen the dogs up" I would do that but I live WAY back in the sticks and without the dogs out and about my property becomes a bear haven and those things REALLY do some damage to my apples trees, vehicles and outbuildings.
    if its a big live trap put an apple or pear in it for bait. Set them close to your apple trees...once caught SSS..

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Don't let those things drop down into WV, we got enough nuisance critters down here.

Where are the pinbacks coming from. I didn't know there were any in the mid-east states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom