• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • auf_2

Mar 29, 2013
    Thank you. I suffer no delusions that this will be the 'magic' that ends the issue. It is, however well thought, well written, and entirely to the point.
    You have my support and my thanks.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    MXRider said:
    I jumped on the "chat now" over at Michellawyer and asked if they would be updating any time soon since the last entry over there was 2/14. The person that handles that was out of the office at the time and would be in tomorrow and I'm supposed to get an email about it. Hoping one of these firms will be willing to pony up the funds

It appears they are updating now. They have added from 2/14 through 3/18 and still going.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    I don't understand why people aren't talking about this lawsuit and/or why updates aren't being posted by the groups leading this (at least as far as I'm aware), but here's the final response from plaintiffs. Good reading, as always. There's no way we can lose this case short of the judge being a certifiable anti-gun activist -- which is certainly a possibility -- but it seems everything is in our favor when you consider Heller precedent, Fourth Circuit case law, the social science, and common sense. Unless the judge and/or 4CA pulls something more radical than the 3CA in Drake, I don't know how this could be decided in favor of MOM. As has been noted, this is the first time Koper has been deposed, so the convincing social science stuff that may have worked in the past is more or less destroyed here. That wasn't the case with past rulings that weren't decided in our favor.

http://michellawyers.com/wp-content...intiffs-Cross-Motion-for-Summary-Judgment.pdf

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    The reason for the silence, I feel, was mostly because there was nothing available to discuss.

There are aspects to this document that are a bit novel, and apparently required a little extra time to prepare.

This should be VERY interesting reading tonight.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I don't understand why people aren't talking about this lawsuit and/or why updates aren't being posted by the groups leading this (at least as far as I'm aware), but here's the final response from plaintiffs. Good reading, as always. There's no way we can lose this case short of the judge being a certifiable anti-gun activist -- which is certainly a possibility -- but it seems everything is in our favor when you consider Heller precedent, Fourth Circuit case law, the social science, and common sense. Unless the judge and/or 4CA pulls something more radical than the 3CA in Drake, I don't know how this could be decided in favor of MOM. As has been noted, this is the first time Koper has been deposed, so the convincing social science stuff that may have worked in the past is more or less destroyed here. That wasn't the case with past rulings that weren't decided in our favor.

http://michellawyers.com/wp-content...intiffs-Cross-Motion-for-Summary-Judgment.pdf

There hasn't been much to discuss (as Mr H said) and some of the people most knowledgeable on it can't really talk about it because they are involved.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    The reason for the silence, I feel, was mostly because there was nothing available to discuss.

There are aspects to this document that are a bit novel, and apparently required a little extra time to prepare.

This should be VERY interesting reading tonight.

There hasn't been much to discuss (as Mr H said) and some of the people most knowledgeable on it can't really talk about it because they are involved.

I understand we're not going to be talking about it every day, but this was filed two days ago and nobody is asking about it or anything, and I had to go digging on Google to find the document.

I think my favorite parts are the declaration of Sam Walters in response to the availability of 10 round mags (Exhibit 47), as well as the declaration of Jack McCauley (Exhibit 50) where he talks about Shanetta Paskel saying the Act is "not about policy; it is just votes."

OldSchool1959

MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    Perhaps it is because I'm not a lawyer that I see this Cross Motion for Summary Judgment as a complete slam dunk. I read the filing end to end and while I admit that like most MDS'rs I'm prejudiced in favor of gun rights, the logic and precedents brought out in this document are unassailable.
    I was a bit puzzled by the disorganization of the exhibits but that may be attributable to the PDFing process. There was even a Release of Claims Agreement that applied to an apartment dishwasher leak included in error. See pages 73-75.
    Finally, I was reminded of the respect I felt for the Sheriffs who not only testified against the infringement but also joined our rally in the square last year.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I wasn't optimistic about this case until I read the depositions and saw just how flawed and unsupported the anti's arguments are. Through the discovery process I believe they have been exposed as arbitrary. But the case will initially be decided by one person - Judge Blake. I once had a case before her resolved by summary judgment. We had the correct legal argument, but applying the law would result in harsh result for the other side, and that had me concerned. But she did the right thing and applied the law despite the harsh result. I am hopeful the State's emotional arguments won't be decisive here.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Umm, no they didn't, the joint committee Democrats were told how they would vote and what committee and floor amendments were acceptable by The Governor, The Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate. They were threatened with loss of committee appointments and all discretionary spending for their districts if they didn't follow the party commands.

Yes. AND, when one committee vote didn't turn out the way the Chairman wanted, he merely strong-armed the dissenter and held a re-vote to achieve the pre-ordained result!

Folks, it points to one conclusion. Politics in this state is run by subversives. We are no more immune from the corruption than Chicago, New York, or D.C. In fact, probably less so, because fewer people here pay attention and it flies under the radar more.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Yes. AND, when one committee vote didn't turn out the way the Chairman wanted, he merely strong-armed the dissenter and held a re-vote to achieve the pre-ordained result!

Folks, it points to one conclusion. Politics in this state is run by subversives. We are no more immune from the corruption than Chicago, New York, or D.C. In fact, probably less so, because fewer people here pay attention and it flies under the radar more.

This--and other items--makes it all the more critical to fight this in the courts, but also through public advocacy and elections.

The politicians then become caught in the middle, and eventually will be forced to stop the shenanigans.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    This--and other items--makes it all the more critical to fight this in the courts, but also through public advocacy and elections.

The politicians then become caught in the middle, and eventually will be forced to stop the shenanigans.

The current load of politicians won't stop the shenanigans, because that's their m.o. and is the only way they can achieve and hold on to power. We need a new breed of politician who can somehow rise above it, but most critical, enlighten and appeal to the low information voting majority. That's a tough task.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I don't see alot of new political stars rising. But, then again, I cancelled my subscription to the Crapital a long time ago, so I might not be up on all the latest. :sarcasm: (I do, however, read the 10 free items every 30 days online and glance at the front page at the newsstand; that's all the news they run that's fit to print.)

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County

You realize that if you are pro-rights in Maryland then you are the subversive, right?

When things go sideways, up is down and down is up. And that means liberty is the subversive element around these parts. But, we have some history to suggest things will be set right, again. It just takes time and effort.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I don't understand why people aren't talking about this lawsuit and/or why updates aren't being posted by the groups leading this (at least as far as I'm aware), but here's the final response from plaintiffs.
    Your observation is largely spot on. Thanks for following this case. You are correct - it is important.

I'd normally be all over it, and trust me I have some opinions on all the writings by both sides.

That said, I am listed as an interested party and a witness. I cannot really go on out here and start spouting off at random. Even if everything I said matches 100% everything I said under oath, both sides in this legal fight would still probably have to pour through everything I said to make sure I didn't poop in the punch bowl.

So my nightmare would be commenting on this case, and then you all seeing a brief from the state (or our side) asking the court for another month or two to figure out just how dumb I was. I am guessing you would be unhappy if I caused that. I cannot speak for the other groups, but highly suspect they are doing the same dance. None of us want to sidetrack the smart people by saying or doing a dumb thing.

As for not posting docs, it's a measure of safety. If I never post a document without prior approval, then I guarantee that I never accidentally post a document before it was scrubbed of personal information, or something subject to a confidentiality order of the court (one of those is discussed somewhere in here). The state has helped to help keep our personal information out of the public sphere, and I don't want to ruin that (thanks again to the state). So, if someone else gets the docs from PACER or wherever, then I don't mess it up.

In any event, I should have made this clear earlier. I learned a long time ago that the best way to not screw up, is to not screw up. So for this case, I don't do a thing online or in public. It's better that way.

Make sense?

Thanks again.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    In summary ...

Your observation is largely spot on. Thanks for following this case. You are correct - it is important.

I'd normally be all over it, and trust me I have some opinions on all the writings by both sides.

That said, I am listed as an interested party and a witness. I cannot really go on out here and start spouting off at random. Even if everything I said matches 100% everything I said under oath, both sides in this legal fight would still probably have to pour through everything I said to make sure I didn't poop in the punch bowl.

So my nightmare would be commenting on this case, and then you all seeing a brief from the state (or our side) asking the court for another month or two to figure out just how dumb I was. I am guessing you would be unhappy if I caused that. I cannot speak for the other groups, but highly suspect they are doing the same dance. None of us want to sidetrack the smart people by saying or doing a dumb thing.

As for not posting docs, it's a measure of safety. If I never post a document without prior approval, then I guarantee that I never accidentally post a document before it was scrubbed of personal information, or something subject to a confidentiality order of the court (one of those is discussed somewhere in here). The state has helped to help keep our personal information out of the public sphere, and I don't want to ruin that (thanks again to the state). So, if someone else gets the docs from PACER or wherever, then I don't mess it up.

In any event, I should have made this clear earlier. I learned a long time ago that the best way to not screw up, is to not screw up. So for this case, I don't do a thing online or in public. It's better that way.

Make sense?

Thanks again.

And cost lawsuits too ...

Attachments

• looselipssinkships.jpg
      looselipssinkships.jpg
      17.4 KB · Views: 297

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    Patrick, do us all a favor and just win all of these lawsuits, so we can get you back into regular commentary, alright?

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013

Make sense?

Thanks again.

Thanks for everything, Patrick. Excellent work by the good guys. It's been a pleasure reading everything pro-2A. I can't stomach much of the stuff coming out of the defense since it's such drivel, and it's good to see those guys put in their place.

I just know you guys had published the docs earlier, and was wondering why the subsequent docs weren't posted. Your reply sheds some light. Thank you.

tomh

Jul 21, 2008

This was extremely well-written and shows through evidence the political goings-on where MOM dictated certain parts of the testimony.

I think someone should specifically ask Brochin if he was ordered to vote for the bill. He tried to duck the issue saying it was good for mental health issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom