• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I sold several HGs before 10/1 and did the "release on the 8th day" thing like everybody else was doing.
    I have several HGs I'm considering finding a new home for (in MD). My question is: under the new law can a private seller still release a handgun after 8 days have elapsed or is that now verboten.
    It seems from other posts that people that have now gotten their HQL and purchase a handgun are getting their paperwork back inside of 7 days (and ahead of those poor souls that still have their paperwork stuck in the backlog).
    Anybody sold a handgun as a private seller (non-FFL) post 10/1 that can tell me how it goes now?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    You can still do 8th day release, no issues.

The only change is that whomever you sell to MUST have and HQL (or have ID to qualify for one of the exemptions).

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Everything be said about the HQL purchase is less than 7 days and in most cases it has been 1 or 2.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    you still have to go through an ffl or MSP to do a private handgun sale and there is still the 7 day wait.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    you still have to go through an ffl or MSP to do a private handgun sale and there is still the 7 day wait.

I think the OP pretty much knows that given he mentioned in the first line, he had done 8th day transfers on firearms he sold in the past.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I think the OP pretty much knows that given he mentioned in the first line, he had done 8th day transfers on firearms he sold in the past.

For some reason my mind inserted a "they" in there somewhere, thinking he was referring to an ffl. I wasn't aware a private owner could transfer a handgun without going through an ffl/msp :confused:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    For some reason my mind inserted a "they" in there somewhere, thinking he was referring to an ffl. I wasn't aware a private owner could transfer a handgun without going through an ffl/msp :confused:

You can't, but since the OP said he has sold several before 10/1 and did the 8th day transfer before 10/1, it is pretty much a given he submitted paperwork to MSP either through an FFL or FTF at an MSP barracks. :D

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    You can't, but since the OP said he has sold several before 10/1 and did the 8th day transfer before 10/1, it is pretty much a given he submitted paperwork to MSP either through an FFL or FTF at an MSP barracks. :D

yeah, but he makes it sound like he was the one doing the releasing of the gun, not the ffl or MSP.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    yeah, but he makes it sound like he was the one doing the releasing of the gun, not the ffl or MSP.

He is, if you go through the MSP, they don't keep the firearm, the person selling it does, and releases it on the 8th day, not MSP.

Same thing doing a private transfer through an FFL, some require it to go through their books, but it is not required, and again the seller holds the firearms and releases it on the 8th day.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    He is, if you go through the MSP, they don't keep the firearm, the person selling it does, and releases it on the 8th day, not MSP.

Same thing doing a private transfer through an FFL, some require it to go through their books, but it is not required, and again the seller holds the firearms and releases it on the 8th day.

My bad, I haven't done a private sale but I was always under the impression a third party had to hold it. Learn something new all the time around here :D

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Cannot be released on a Sunday. Don't understand why, but that was on the paperwork I received last week.

THat's what I heard as well. Basically whatever day you do the paperwork on, it can be released the same day of the following week, except for sundays. SO if you do the transfer on a tuesday, it can be released the following tuesday, etc,e tc.

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster

Yes, we did paperwork at MSP in Westminster and I released gun to buyer after at least 8 days had lapsed. Actually just got "Not Disapproved" 77r back for my purchaser from sale (paperwork) done in September.
    Purchaser and I need to meet to sign "Not Disapproved " paperwork and mail it back to MSP.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    My bad, I haven't done a private sale but I was always under the impression a third party had to hold it. Learn something new all the time around here :D

No problem at all, none of us know all the answers.

rockstarrob

Junior Zombie
    Jul 30, 2009
    I have a quick question and I didn't wanna start a new thread; if you legally posses a handgun that was pre SB281 you do not need an HQL to sell it right?
    I'm about to trade one and wanted to make doubly sure I wasn't going to get a surprise at the MSP Barracks.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I have a quick question and I didn't wanna start a new thread; if you legally posses a handgun that was pre SB281 you do not need an HQL to sell it right?
    I'm about to trade one and wanted to make doubly sure I wasn't going to get a surprise at the MSP Barracks.

Correct, you as the seller would not need an HQL.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Trade it for what, if it's another handgun, then you need an HQL to receive the new, to you, handgun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom