• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • uberschlager

Apr 23, 2014
    Hi everybody. I've been trying to read the literature out there about the new SB 281, but I haven't been able to find anything that addresses active duty military being posted to Maryland. I'm going to be posted to Maryland from Georgia, where the laws are considerably different. I currently own a non-HBAR AR-15 as well as pistols that have magazine capacities over 10rds. I did not possess the AR-15 until March of this year, but I also had no idea that I was going to be sent to Maryland. My question is if I'm being posted to Maryland, will I be able to bring and possess my AR-15 and pistols? I will be living off post. Thank you very much for your help.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Welcome to Maryland, you were not considered when they wrote SB 281. Some sharp legal minds in here which understand SB281 better than me can give you a much better answer but I think you will have an issue.

Thanks for your service!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Pistols - Yes.

Standard capacity magazines - Yes.

AR-15, purchased after 10/1/2013 - unfortunately, No.

Welcome to MDS, where are you being stationed?

Required to register handguns - No.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Welcome to Maryland, you were not considered when they wrote SB 281. Some sharp legal minds in here which understand SB281 better than me can give you a much better answer but I think you will have an issue.

Thanks for your service!

They were considered, hence the exemption from registering any handguns, and the full exemption from the HQL.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Howdy. Join the fight.

www.marylandshallissue.org

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    They were considered, hence the exemption from registering any handguns, and the full exemption from the HQL.

But not specific guns acquired legally out of state like the AR. If you get orders here you should not have to get rid of weapons you already legally own regardless of date acquired. My humble view.

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    Where will you be stationed in maryland? If it is at all within a commutable distance from VA I would suggest living in VA. I moved here to maryland 5 years ago on orders and bought a house. I have never stopped regretting tying myself to this awful state, and really wished i would have moved to virginia. Most of my coworkers live in virginia. Most of the events are there. All of the retirement and farewell parties are there. You'll see very quickly that a large % of most maryland based commands will live across the border in America.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    But not specific guns acquired legally out of state like the AR. If you get orders here you should not have to get rid of weapons you already legally own regardless of date acquired. My humble view.

They aren't required to get rid of anything. They are disallowed, just any other citizen of the US, from bringing a post Oct 1 "banned" long rifle into the state.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Where will you be stationed in maryland? If it is at all within a commutable distance from VA I would suggest living in VA. I moved here to maryland 5 years ago on orders and bought a house. I have never stopped regretting tying myself to this awful state, and really wished i would have moved to virginia. Most of my coworkers live in virginia. Most of the events are there. All of the retirement and farewell parties are there. You'll see very quickly that a large % of most maryland based commands will live across the border in America.

PM me were you are neighbor.

uberschlager

Apr 23, 2014
    Thank you everyone for your advice as well as the link to the other topic in the forum. I am not a resident of Maryland, nor will I be. I'll be stationed at Fort Meade and my wife is going to law school in Baltimore (ironic, I know). So living in Virginia won't be as viable of an option. The way I read the law is that possession applies to you as long as you're in the state regardless of your residency. However, the bit in the law about registering your assault weapon within 90 days of entering the state seems odd to me. Am I just telling them that I own one, so that they can come and confiscate it from me? One would think that I would be able to keep my weapon especially since I won't be staying here permanently. But then again most gun laws don't make sense. Maybe I should just e-mail the Maryland State Police so that I'll have something in writing.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Thank you everyone for your advice as well as the link to the other topic in the forum. I am not a resident of Maryland, nor will I be. I'll be stationed at Fort Meade and my wife is going to law school in Baltimore (ironic, I know). So living in Virginia won't be as viable of an option. The way I read the law is that possession applies to you as long as you're in the state regardless of your residency. However, the bit in the law about registering your assault weapon within 90 days of entering the state seems odd to me. Am I just telling them that I own one, so that they can come and confiscate it from me? One would think that I would be able to keep my weapon especially since I won't be staying here permanently. But then again most gun laws don't make sense. Maybe I should just e-mail the Maryland State Police so that I'll have something in writing.

As I said above you do not have to register anything since you are not becoming a resident. And since the AR was post 10/1, it is a no go in this state unfortunately.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Will you be in on post housing or off? I know people who commute from Delaware to Meade via the not so reliable train system known as MARC , will get your wife to Bodymore too

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Welcome to Maryland.

Not required to register anything. The only purpose would be future confiscation anyhow.

When you are settled, let me know what kind of shooting you want to do and I'll be happy to hook you up.

You can help make Maryland a better place. Consider joining MSI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom