• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I'm just wondering when is MSP going to send out teams of inspectors armed with magnifying glasses and calipers to check everyone's rifle barrels to make sure they aren't the evil banned ones?

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I'm just wondering when is MSP going to send out teams of inspectors armed with magnifying glasses and calipers to check everyone's rifle barrels to make sure they aren't the evil banned ones?

They've just signed a contract with NACAR. They are going to local ranges to impound your AR's and SBR's, send them to North Carolina where they will be measured or disassembled to count 922R parts.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009

Never. And that's the point of this endless HBAR discussion. In MD, an HBAR is an HBAR when the manufacturer or selling dealer says it is. Usually best by a catalog entry, slick sheet, maybe stamped on the barrel.

As swinokar says, best to have this documented in writing some how. An obvious HBAR lacking this might not be an HBAR because the officers themselves are not gonna make that determination.

If you are doing a build on a striped receiver I would insist on a catalog sheet or similar that it is an HBAR.

I know it's weird but it's a gift so work with it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014

Attachments

• 922r_NFA_July_2009.jpg
      922r_NFA_July_2009.jpg
      67.9 KB · Views: 302

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I think we misunderstood each other. I was making a point that SBR's are subject to the imported parts count. Skinny barrels on SBR's are fine

redeye505

Nov 5, 2013
    Essex Md
    Hopefully i will be able to get this in writing when we buy this kit. If we buy this kit. Still a little ways down the road. Just want to get my ducks in a row. Before purchasing anything.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RoadDawg View Post
    Okay... I just got off of the phone with "Ron" at PSA... He assures me that the kit in question (PSA 16" MID-LENGTH 5.56 NATO 1/8 STAINLESS STEEL FREEDOM RIFLE KIT - 508077) IS an HBAR, 16 inch M4 profile stainless barrel.

This is an email that I sent last Monday:
    Sent: Monday, October 12, 2015 9:50 PM
    To: Info
    Subject: PSA 16" Mid-length 5.56 NATO 1/8 Stainless Steel Freedom Rifle Kit - 508077
    Is this model a HBAR profile barrel?

What kits do you have with HBAR for .223/.556? I intend to build a HBAR rifle using your kits.
    Thanks in advance,
    Al

Info <info@palmettostatearmory.com>

5:54 PM (4 hours ago)

to me

Hello,

That particular assembly is not a heavy barreled receiver. All of our heavy barrelled receivers will be advertised as "heavy" or "heavy profile" in the product description. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you,

Fred
    Customer Service
    Palmetto State Armory
    (803) 724-6950
    Info@palmettostatearmory.com

Interesting. I bought an ARES SCR which is basically an AR upper on their proprietary lower. Just about any AR upper will fit and with the proper barrel/bolt combo it can be converted to just about any caliber on the AR platform....the barrel is not HBAR, but it doesn't have a launcher cut out, nor is it it threaded for a flash hider/suppressor. ARES claims it's legal in all 50 states...SO what's to prevent someone from simply taking the upper off and putting it on any AR lower? If the rifle is MD legal than that means the barrel is MD legal right?

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    If we get a good outcome on the Kolbe appeal, I wonder what the backlog will be on AR-15's the first couple months, and how much FFL transfer fees in MD will rocket to.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    If we get a good outcome on the Kolbe appeal, I wonder what the backlog will be on AR-15's the first couple months, and how much FFL transfer fees in MD will rocket to.

It's not AR-15s they'll have to worry about, it will be M1As that people didn't get before the ban.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    what's to prevent someone from simply taking the upper off and putting it on any AR lower? If the rifle is MD legal than that means the barrel is MD legal right?
    Bad logic. The problem is "is the configuration legal?", not "are the parts legal"? There's really no such thing as a banned part in MD. I could own an SP-89 parts kit including the receiver, but I haven't violated any laws until I build it.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I could own an SP-89 parts kit including the receiver, but I haven't violated any laws until I build it.

Eh, be careful with that thought. That can be called constructive intent and can get you in trouble. The feds catch people on NFA violations that way.

Bad logic. The problem is "is the configuration legal?", not "are the parts legal"? There's really no such thing as a banned part in MD. I could own an SP-89 parts kit including the receiver, but I haven't violated any laws until I build it.

OK I get your point....but the barrel is neither heavy or standard...Does the law say it has to be HBAR or is that implied because standard barrels are banned? If the actual wording of the law says HBAR only then the config with the ARES upper would be "illegal" but if the wording doesn't mention HBAR specifically then the ARES upper wouldn't technically break the law....I'm asking because I don't know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom