• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • anderson76

Feb 16, 2013
    hmmmm - might be splitting hairs here, but there might still be regulated long guns, all of which are now classified as assault weapons and banned. You are right though, ALL long guns that are legal to transfer, sell, etc. in Maryland are now cash and carry.

+1

Fab makes a good point. My pre 10/01/13 ar15 is still very much a "regulated firearm" and subject to all restrictions placed upon regulated firearms.

With respect to the MSP bulletin -- while this is a 2A friendly position -- lets not conclude that a piston AR or and AR with unusually small take down pins is legal.

Recall, that with respect to ARs & AKs, the enumerated lists casts a broad net. It bans AR 15s and "all imitations" and AKs in "all forms".

Consequently, before applying, MSP "complete parts interchangeability" we must first determine whether that enumerated boom stick is, for example, and "imitation" of an AR 15. Now the "imitation" standard may cast, and in IMO does cast, a much wider net that the MSP interchangeability standard.

So, is a Colt 6940P banned? Is at an imitation of an AR15? If yes then it is banned. If we answer the threshold question in the negative, then we apply the MSP interchangeability test.

Same thing with a vepr in 7.67X54R? Is it one of the "all forms" of an AK?
    If so, then its banned.

Im not predicting that his the framework that will be applied -- all Im saying is to proceed with caution.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    H & K MR556A1

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-10-02-34-25.jpg
      Screenshot_2014-07-10-02-34-25.jpg
      73.2 KB · Views: 439

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Gents, the issue is not just that the MR556 is a piston AR; it's that the MR556 is also advertised as having a heavy contour barrel.

MichaelTech

Feb 21, 2013
    One thing that I take away from this is that how much of a can of worms have the MSP opened up with their Firearm Review Form to get a gun on the reviewed list.
    the jist is if a dealer says no and an attorney says no that the layman still can get a review directly from the MSP.

This form is supposed to be used in a specific way by a "civilian",

as outlined by this paragraph and the specifics at the end.

>>>>>>
    If you are unable to locate your firearm and you have already contacted a firearms dealer and/or the firearm's manufacturer and/or your attorney and have been unable to receive a satisfactory response, you may submit the below form. By submitting this form, you are acknowledging that you have contacted a firearms dealer and/or the firearm's manufacturer and/or your attorney and have not obtained the guidance necessary to make an informed decision.
    >>>>>>>

But I see that this review form is going to put allot of forms in front of the MSP and many of them will be poorly done and will be multiple submission on the same gun. Most people will automatically interpret the "have not obtained the guidance necessary" as receiving a NO as reason enough.

Not that I am "worried" or sympathetic for the position the MSP have now put themselves in but I am concerned that it will further muddle the waters and delay the right ruling or forever get one on the list as enumerated because someone did a piss poor job of representing it on the form or 200 people think that if they submit an AK from some very minor Combloc that forged instead of stamped some very minor part of the gun and because it isn't a Russian AK that they are going to get it positively reviewed on the list and slip it by the MSP.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I don't think the FFL & lawyer have to say "no" - I think they have to say "I don't know" or "I can't tell"

I think if they tell you no, MSP doesn't want you to ask

tman

Jan 28, 2013
    "
    The piston driven AR-15 would need to have completely interchangeable internal components with the Colt piston driven AR-15 and likewise the gas block AR-15 would need to have completely interchangeable internal components with a Colt gas block AR-15.

Thank you,

Cpl. Jason Edwards
    "

So MR556 must have fully interchangeable internal parts as Colt piston AR (LE6940P)?
    Is there any piston ar that has non-interchangeable internals?

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    One thing that I take away from this is that how much of a can of worms have the MSP opened up with their Firearm Review Form to get a gun on the reviewed list.
    the jist is if a dealer says no and an attorney says no that the layman still can get a review directly from the MSP.

This form is supposed to be used in a specific way by a "civilian",

as outlined by this paragraph and the specifics at the end.

>>>>>>
    If you are unable to locate your firearm and you have already contacted a firearms dealer and/or the firearm's manufacturer and/or your attorney and have been unable to receive a satisfactory response, you may submit the below form. By submitting this form, you are acknowledging that you have contacted a firearms dealer and/or the firearm's manufacturer and/or your attorney and have not obtained the guidance necessary to make an informed decision.
    >>>>>>>

But I see that this review form is going to put allot of forms in front of the MSP and many of them will be poorly done and will be multiple submission on the same gun. Most people will automatically interpret the "have not obtained the guidance necessary" as receiving a NO as reason enough.

Not that I am "worried" or sympathetic for the position the MSP have now put themselves in but I am concerned that it will further muddle the waters and delay the right ruling or forever get one on the list as enumerated because someone did a piss poor job of representing it on the form or 200 people think that if they submit an AK from some very minor Combloc that forged instead of stamped some very minor part of the gun and because it isn't a Russian AK that they are going to get it positively reviewed on the list and slip it by the MSP.

my problem with the above is that there is no published regulation allowing this form. no regulation or law allowing long gun review. no description of the process, or who will conduct the review. no public comment period. no hearing. no appeals process.

who makes the review? msp? vinnie demarco? Ceasefire md? could be anyone.

I think there is grounds for an injuction, depending on how that would be percieved by the judge in kolbe.

the state's defense in kolbe is that their law is well thought out and researched. their list of banned rifles is "specific" not arbitrary.

but now the state is copying the process for handguns, something that had to be codified into law for handguns, but long gun review was never codified. they are stretching, really stretching to make this law tenable.

these arent new issues with interpretation... they predate the current fsa2013, and date back to the passage of the first regulated firearms law. they were warned. there have been questions for years. testimony in annapolis revolved around these problems. there was ample time to clarify the law, and we just had a session of the general assembly where the law could have been repaired. instead the state has waited till a week before the kolbe hearing to administratively legislate through regulation, to fix parts of their position in the lawsuit. and to do so they have sidestepped the legal process. they should at the very least have to copy their handgun process, that set the bar for the states standard of review.

MichaelTech

Feb 21, 2013
    Nice point Jaybeez.

I didn't make the connection and I like how you did.

It is rather convenient for this to popup right before the Kolbe hearing.

Is this just the State putting some ducks in a row?

Even if is or isn't it does show that the law was not well thought out and slapped together.

Mark75H:

That is what I think too. My point is if there is one more inkling of a chance like the review which is from an authority:lol2: . who is going to take no for an answer from the dealers/lawyers.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I don't think the FFL & lawyer have to say "no" - I think they have to say "I don't know" or "I can't tell"

I thought the government set up support centers for citizen inquiries. Isn't that one of the reasons we pay taxes?

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Let me reword my first statement. I forgot how crazy you folks are.
    "All long guns that are for sale in the state of MD through a legal FFL are cash and carry."
    Ok pick it apart.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    "
    The piston driven AR-15 would need to have completely interchangeable internal components with the Colt piston driven AR-15 and likewise the gas block AR-15 would need to have completely interchangeable internal components with a Colt gas block AR-15.

Thank you,

Cpl. Jason Edwards
    "

So MR556 must have fully interchangeable internal parts as Colt piston AR (LE6940P)?
    Is there any piston ar that has non-interchangeable internals?

That is the issue with piston ARs, a LWRC's components are not 100% compatible with a H&K AR, or LaRue. That is why Chad dis not huge fan because there is no "Spec" that makes them all universal which now looks like may be a saving grace.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    At least it's something in writing, somewhere everyone can see.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    This is so dumb. I fail to see why we need to play ring around the rosey with these clowns.

My biggest complaint is that the MSP only have authority to enforce the law, but this basically says that they are the ones with final say on what is or isn't legal. That should have been our politician's jobs.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    My biggest complaint is that the MSP only have authority to enforce the law, but this basically says that they are the ones with final say on what is or isn't legal. That should have been our politician's jobs.

Our politicians (i.e., the legislature/General Assembly) decided what the law is. It is right there in black and white. The executive branch (i.e., our Governor) then enforces the law as it interprets it (i.e., the MSP interpretation). Then, when it is unclear, the judicial branch (i.e., the Maryland Court of Appeals) figures out exactly what the legislative branch meant when it passed the law and whether the executive branch is interpreting it correctly. Capisce?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom