• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    An interesting situation presented itself to me at the range over the weekend.

Being a goto guy at the range, a shooter asked if I could teach him how to use his new CVA inline muzzle loader. I had him put everything he had for the gun on the table so I could see what he had and what he needed. To my surprise he had a shiny new unopened box of round balls and a package of new unopened patches. For powder he had Pyrodex Powder Pellets.

Believe it or not I was nice and asked why do you have patch and ball for an inline?

This is were the story gets interesting.

He said he bought the rifle from a big box store and they sent him to a gun shop west of Baltimore County for gun powder, bullets, and accessories. This old established shop I thought had a good reputation so I asked "did you tell them what rifle you needed bullets for?" He said he did.

The moral of this posting is this. If you need help in a new area to you, spend the extra money and buy everything from the local gun shop that can give you outstanding service.

Just my thoughts for the day
    DF

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    The second store may have thought he had a Hawken style rifle, if he only told them it was a CVA. I'll give them a break for that. Hope your friend got an education. Has he shot it yet?

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    So did you end up helping him out?

I sure did. Had him come back the next day and I brought in everything he needed to shoot the rifle straight. I had the rifle shooter the way it should be and he left with everything he needed for the next 40 or so shoots with a big smile on his face.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    But isn't it beneficial to shoot a bunch of patched and lubed balls (or bullets, just that balls are usually cheaper) to season the bore when they are new? Kinda like seasoning a cast iron pan. So many guys shoot sabots, and skip over that it seems like.

Nice job of helping out though. Black powder can be a bit intimidating at first.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Every gun shop seems to have at least one new guy. If the customer asked for ".50 cal bullets for blackpowder", and got some, that's not doing too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom