• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    My eyes are going. The last time I was at the range, I tried several glasses. This is using a Glock 17 with factory sights.

1. Shooting glasses, no optical correction, but couldn't focus on front sight.

2. My reading glasses but the front sight was too far away and I couldn't get it in focus.

3. My glasses for "normal" use, e.g. driving, etc, but then my focus distance was too far away and again I couldn't focus on the front sight.

So, I'm thinking about getting a pair of shooting glasses set up so that things are in focus at front sight distance.

The problem is that, knowing something about optics, I'm pretty sure this will almost certainly throw both the rear sight and target more out of focus. So, my question is, has anyone made such a set of shooting glasses and do they work, or does it just trade one problem for another to no advantage?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    human eyes can only focus on one distance... the older you get it get worst.

focus on the front.. let everything else a blur. ;)

rifle.. get a scope. haha

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    human eyes can only focus on one distance... the older you get it get worst.

focus on the front.. let everything else a blur. ;)

rifle.. get a scope. haha

This.

And also, try buying a few pair of cheap dimestore reading glasses in different magnifications so you know how much power you'll need.. Worked for me.

I have the same problem. Since my computer screen at the office is about the same distance from my eyes as the front sight with arms extended, I bought a pair of 2.0 diopter magnifying industrial safety glasses. This gives me an image of the front sight that isn't perfect, but close. I find that with the gun held at arm's length, the difference in focus between front and rear sight is small enough that I get used to it. It does throw the bullseye out of focus (I'm far-sighted and have no trouble focusing clearly on the target), but once I got used to it, I found that it wasn't nearly as important as the front sight image. Not a perfect arrangement, but much better than normal shooting glasses.

When my eyes deteriorate further, I'll see an optometrist to see that he/she can do.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I have the same problem. Since my computer screen at the office is about the same distance from my eyes as the front sight with arms extended, I bought a pair of 2.0 diopter magnifying industrial safety glasses. This gives me an image of the front sight that isn't perfect, but close. I find that with the gun held at arm's length, the difference in focus between front and rear sight is small enough that I get used to it. It does throw the bullseye out of focus (I'm far-sighted and have no trouble focusing clearly on the target), but once I got used to it, I found that it wasn't nearly as important as the front sight image. Not a perfect arrangement, but much better than normal shooting glasses.

When my eyes deteriorate further, I'll see an optometrist to see that he/she can do.

:thumbsup: This...if you go to an Optician, ask for 'Computer Glasses'.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    IF you have a 'regular' eye doctor, talk to him/her about your focus issue.

Be prepared.

Make a 'dummy' using a couple of pieces of wood, and put a popsicle stick front sight on it, and some sort of rear sight. (Be sure to paint 'em flat black!)

Make it the same length as your favorite handgun.

Keep this in your car, or, in a jacket, until you talk to your eye doctor.

Ask him/her to check your Rx for making that popsicle stick front sight CLEAR.

Get a pair of polycarbonate lenses cut and use 'em for your shooting glasses.

I did it years ago. Unfortunately, my (favorite) Opthamologist moved from the area.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I explained the same problem to my optometrist. He had me hold a pencil with the eraser at front sight distance. Then he developed a prescription to bring it into focus. I took that to a cheap optician's shop and had them make up yellow plastic lenses for an inexpensive eyeglass frame.

Also, I have my contacts set up for "monovision" where the right eye is for distance and the left eye focused for close-in sight. The prescription reverses that since I shoot right handed. Interestingly, that's the effect I find most disconcerting.

JoeR

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Also, I have my contacts set up for "monovision" where the right eye is for distance and the left eye focused for close-in sight. The prescription reverses that since I shoot right handed. Interestingly, that's the effect I find most disconcerting.

JoeR

Exactly where I was going. I had my eyes lasered for monovision. I can very quickly switch my sightline from near to far focus.

I just happen to shoot handguns left handed and rifles right handed naturally. (Throw left and bat right as well)

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    my contacts prescription was in the low 5.0 range. at 50 years old, the front site was a total blur, as was computer screen and reading for which I used reading magnification glasses.

I talked with my ophthalmologist (no way I spelled that right) and we worked the prescription down to 4.0. my long distance vision is just barely reduced, but I can see WAY better up close. Still need readers for written material (newspaper and magazines) but can see front site pretty clear as well as computer screen. No dizziness, strain or anything like that and no problem reading signs, license plates, etc while driving.

Just work your prescription down in .25 increments and see if anything works better.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Exactly where I was going. I had my eyes lasered for monovision. I can very quickly switch my sightline from near to far focus.

I just happen to shoot handguns left handed and rifles right handed naturally. (Throw left and bat right as well)

Because of eye dominance, I'm left-handed but shoot both pistols and long-guns right-handed. It really is amazing how the brain can integrate the two different signals and make one image out of it. However, the disconcerting effect I mentioned above is when I put on the yellow shooting glasses and my distance vision shifts from right eye to left eye. When I first started using the glasses it would make me slightly dizzy. What's apparently happening is that my brain has acclimated to using right eye for distance and it takes a while to reverse the unconscious shift.

JoeR

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    A friend, who was a serious bullseye shooter, took his target pistol to the optometrist to get a set of glasses made to EXACTLY focus at the distance of his front sight.

It worked very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom