• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    From Fox news http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/09/murder-drops-as-concealed-carry-permits-rise-claims-study/

“When you allow people to carry concealed handguns, you see changes in the behavior of criminals," said the center’s president, John R. Lott, a Fox News contributor. “Some criminals stop committing crimes, others move on to crimes in which they don’t come into contact with victims and others actually move to areas where they have less fear of being confronted by armed victims.”

Guess what we have to look forward to?:sad20:

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I think so too. Unfortunately I don't think cause-and-effect can be proven here...

Yeah I don't think so either. I personally agree that more CCW is a good thing, obviously. But just because murder rates drop as CCW increase doesn't mean the two are related as far as THIS study is concerned. Carbon emissions are up since 2007, does that mean that higher carbon emissions are related to lower murder rates? Obviously not.

Common sense tells me that the more people carrying guns, the less people are going to freely commit crimes. But this article doesn't prove that.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Also unproven is possible corollary to greatest number of incarcerated criminals, ie. the bad guys are in jail.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Don't make the mistake the Brady Campaign did with blood in the streets.

Even if you cannot connect a raise in CCW with a drop in crime, you can show that a raise in CCW did NOT produce a raise in crime.

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD

Even if you cannot connect a raise in CCW with a drop in crime, you can show that a raise in CCW did NOT produce a raise in crime.

Damn if that isn't provocative. That is a whole different connection I failed to make.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

jcrusselljr

Aug 28, 2011
    When faced with the "blood in the streets" concern, I ask the person to name the states they can where CCW is legal. Their inability to do so usually helps to draw the conversation to a close. If someone were actually able to name them, the next question would be where is the blood in the streets in that state....

Bonus points if someone incorrectly names Baltimore, DC, or Chicago as examples of gun problems with blood in the streets.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Actually, that is the only conclusion one can make given the studies that I have seen.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    teratos...a correlation does not prove causality. Statistics 101.

As much as I would want that to be true in this case and as much as it appeals to common sense, gprimr1 is absolutely correct.

He also makes a great point about using the study to show that it did NOT cause a rise in violent crime. Here's the thing, even that is only anecdotal. Without a controlled study we can't definitively state that the violent crime wouldn't have actually been even less (personally, I highly doubt it...but my point is that it can't be proven).

However, one can also look at cities with stricter gun control and that show a rise or a plateau in violent crime to further bolster our argument. Just know that even though it adds credibility to the argument it is still just anecdotal.

I think of it like building a case with circumstantial evidence. It isn't cut and dried and incontestable...but if you build enough of it you can get a conviction.

I think when we as a community make statements that are accurate in regards to studies and evidence (even if that makes our arguments not as cut and dried as we'd like sometimes) that actually makes our arguments stronger. If we do that, then there is nothing to discredit and misdirection efforts are harder for the anti's to pull off.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    teratos...belay my last. I think we're actually in agreement :)

Re-read the thread and I misinterpreted your comment. Apologies. I was considering deleting my previous comments but I leave them in because it's a common trap that I've heard many pro 2A's fall into.

You're correct though...the study does show that increasing CCW does not produce a increase in violent crime, and that's it.

We should be careful as a community to not then take the next step in logic and say that increases in CCW produce decreases in violent crime, as that isn't supported (even though I believe it).

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Damn if that isn't provocative. That is a whole different connection I failed to make.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

This is positive proof that ccw does not cause crime. It a major point. keep hitting it home -- Its in my written for sb281 as well and I am sure I am not alone.

Op force has been trying to confuses the issue by claiming that we need to prove CCW reduces crime.. thats crap they have the burden of proof to show that restricting ccw lowers crime -- they can't;

They have the burden of proof. Hold them to it.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    teratos...belay my last. I think we're actually in agreement :)

Re-read the thread and I misinterpreted your comment. Apologies. I was considering deleting my previous comments but I leave them in because it's a common trap that I've heard many pro 2A's fall into.

You're correct though...the study does show that increasing CCW does not produce a increase in violent crime, and that's it.

We should be careful as a community to not then take the next step in logic and say that increases in CCW produce decreases in violent crime, as that isn't supported (even though I believe it).

We do not have the burden of proof and should not fall into the trap of offering any. When the public safety argument is use to restrict a right -- an offer of proof is required. Their offer of proof negates any causal link -- we have no other duty -- not even to cure all the ills of society -- or " do something" That's what it means to be a right.

They have been shifting the burden for almost 85 years , because we let them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom