• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Picked up this Ortgies in 32 Auto on Tuesday for $225. Took it to the range today. By far my most accurate pistol. I love this lady shooter. 30 feet with factory.

erypeter.jpg
    y3a9ure5.jpg
    yzety3ub.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Looks great. For some reason I feel really drawn to .32 autos despite them being considered a pip-squeak of a cartridge compared to other rounds. I've thought about getting an ortgies but it's not very high on my list right now

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Wow, I'll have to take mine the range soon. Mine is the very first semi auto pistol I ever shot. It belonged to my dad back then.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I've thought about getting an ortgies but it's not very high on my list right now

Get one sooner rather than later if you remain interested. Prices on them have gone up quite a bit over the past 24 months. Seems like collectors no longer consider them the ugly stepchild.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Yeah the .380 barrels are pretty rare, as are the complete .380's.

The .32's were renound in their day as a championship grade pistol.

The .25's don't have anything on their bigger brothers

My improved decription for reassembly is on another thread about them

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    That's a nice find. :thumbsup:
    An Ortgies in .32 has been on my short list for quite a while.
    One of these days...;)

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Did not know this!

The barrel on the Ortgies can be removed by twisting it 90 degrees. It has a T-shaped double lug on the bottom which rotates into slots in the frame. This design feature allowed easy conversion from 7.65mm to 9mm by swapping out the barrels. Since the magazines (like those of the 1910 FN Browning) were designed to take either cartridge, no other change was necessary. There is no evidence that Ortgies & Co. ever made or sold 9mm barrels, though Deutsche Werke certainly did.

http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Ortgies/ortgies.html

You can put 32 or 380 in the mag - try it (but don't chamber the 380!)

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    An Ortgies .380 sold on GB tonight for $650 (the reserve) ... not a real reflection of an auction, the second bidder stopped at $550, the third at $455

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I have one. A lot of folks don't like them. I have never shot mine because of a bad firing pin. Got a new one from Numerich a while back and will try it out soon.

Mine is a .32 and came with a .25 firing pin that Bubba tried to install. The .25 pin is way too long. By some miracle, Bubba didn't otherwise damage the pistol. I got a replacement pin from Numrich but it was too long by about 0.05". Be prepared to do some careful filing.

Did you know you can canvert it to 380 just by getting a new barrel? Trick is to find one.

Damn you! Now I need to find me a .380 barrel. :D

Jul 1, 2012
    An Ortgies .380 sold on GB tonight for $650 (the reserve) ... not a real reflection of an auction, the second bidder stopped at $550, the third at $455

True auction action - $880 final from last week. It was pretty nice condition with two correct mags ... basically 4 guys duking it out over the course of the auction. The winner of this one was also bidding for a while on the one that ended tonight...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=423728591

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    The only issue with this pistol, as I learned yesterday while thoroughly cleaning it, is that, in spite of a representation otherwise during the bidding process, one of the grips is completely buggered. The wood is broken and someone tried to affix it to the frame with hot glue or something similar. I am the idiot who didn't check when I got the pistol but I did specifically ask this question. To his credit, the seller did offer to take it back but I like the pistol too much after shooting it and still think I came out ahead at $225. I found a well-recommended place that sells reproductions that I'm going to buy and I will just be on the lookout for a true replacement (good luck to me).

rasava2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD
    True auction action - $880 final from last week. It was pretty nice condition with two correct mags ... basically 4 guys duking it out over the course of the auction. The winner of this one was also bidding for a while on the one that ended tonight...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=423728591

This one surprised me with the price level. The grips are a problem - one is split in two and they seem to be held together with brass pins. Big detraction. And, if you look closely, there seems to be some pitting on the slide. I suspect the big driver in this auction was the two correct magazines. Those can be really hard to come by. I have two of the .380 models, neither of which have the correct magazine...but one is the super-rare "button safety" version. Yes, yes, I know - pictures will be coming!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    All this talk of .32: Any love for the Astra constable(?) in 7.65? Little PPK looking thing. My grandfather had one that he must have bought, shot once, then put away. My dad has it now and its in as-new condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom