• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Not much I have had two service grades both with like new barrels and both were very accurate. Again I would g service or service special you can shoot both and still hold some collectors value. Specials are really only good if you plan a full blown match gun that you have no concern for collector values.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    The new mini-14s are much much more accurate than the older ones. Get a stainless one if you go that route since Ruger does not chrome line their Minis, or most of their line, and their stainless steel is second to none, and frankly, harder and more durable than many contemporary offerings.

I have a Mini-14 GB from the MD Department of Corrections, and I love the thing. It tends to string high when the barrel heats up, but other than that is at worst a 3 MOA rifle at it's hottest.

The newer Minis are generally closer to 2 MOA and the barrel won't string, but the guns are slightly heavier due to the new barrel contour.

Small price to pay in my estimation.

I got one of the new ones last year, and it runs the gen 2 Tapco magazines with the metal liners and the stiffer polymer flawlessly, as does my GB.

Mine is about a 1.5 MOA rifle if I'm shooting ammo it likes through it, which tends to be PPU (Prvi Partizan) 55 grain. I've heard of other people's guns shooting better than this, but I personally can't speak to that.

The greater accuracy is definitely a plus. Frankly I was happy with my GB model at 2 to 2.5 MOA out of a cold barrel. The gun is so handy and pointable, and frankly I WILL hit what I'm aiming at inside of about 150 yards.

Anyways. Not a hickup out of my GB in all the rounds through her, and only a few through the newer mini, and that was due to crappy reloads (well, underpowered) that I was shooting out of desperation during the ammo crisis.

lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    Here's another vote for the Garand. The CMP will almost certainly have the best price. It can be shipped directly to your door, and will come FedEx overnight.

Note well, however, that the rifle you get from the CMP will require some "sweat equity" before it's ready to go to the range. You will have to remove cosmoline, how much depending on the particular gun. I've seen ones that looked like there was more cosmoline than M1. Be prepared to spend eight hours or so cleaning it up once you get it.

The CMP web site lists the clubs that are affiliated with the CMP. There are quite a few in Maryland, some with quite reasonable dues.

Also be sure to check the CMP web site for all the requirements for buying a Garand from them. In particular, you have to prove that you've done some live firing, though not necessarily with a Garand. Among other things, the Md. hunter safety course will suffice for that requirement.

Visit the CMP forum and find an agent who will go to the store in Anniston and pick out a rifle to your specs. (Send me a private email if you want a suggestion.) You will have to send your agent a copy of the purchase paperwork from the CMP web site, plus write a letter to the CMP authorizing him to buy on your behalf. The letter and CMP paperwork both have to be notarized.

Of course, you can also travel to Anniston or to the North Store at Camp Perry and pick one out yourself. However, a special trip just to buy Garands makes for real expensive shootin' irons.

A carefully-selected service grade will shoot just fine and will have historical and collector value that the service grade specials do not.

Buy as much of the Greek surplus .30-06 as you can afford (or as much as the CMP will allow you to buy, which is 2000 rounds a year). Even with the recent CMP price increase it is the best deal going in .30-06 ammo. As someone else mentioned, the brass is great stuff for reloading.

Garands in good shape are wonderful guns. They weigh a ton, but if you've ever fired one you'll understand immediately why the guys who carried them loved them.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    The new mini-14s are much much more accurate than the older ones. Get a stainless one if you go that route since Ruger does not chrome line their Minis, or most of their line, and their stainless steel is second to none, and frankly, harder and more durable than many contemporary offerings.

I have a Mini-14 GB from the MD Department of Corrections, and I love the thing. It tends to string high when the barrel heats up, but other than that is at worst a 3 MOA rifle at it's hottest.

The newer Minis are generally closer to 2 MOA and the barrel won't string, but the guns are slightly heavier due to the new barrel contour.

Small price to pay in my estimation.

I got one of the new ones last year, and it runs the gen 2 Tapco magazines with the metal liners and the stiffer polymer flawlessly, as does my GB.

Mine is about a 1.5 MOA rifle if I'm shooting ammo it likes through it, which tends to be PPU (Prvi Partizan) 55 grain. I've heard of other people's guns shooting better than this, but I personally can't speak to that.

The greater accuracy is definitely a plus. Frankly I was happy with my GB model at 2 to 2.5 MOA out of a cold barrel. The gun is so handy and pointable, and frankly I WILL hit what I'm aiming at inside of about 150 yards.

Anyways. Not a hickup out of my GB in all the rounds through her, and only a few through the newer mini, and that was due to crappy reloads (well, underpowered) that I was shooting out of desperation during the ammo crisis.

It sounds like you got lucky. I know two people that ran out and got new minis before 10/1 and they have been in for service more than at the range.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Also depending on what you are looking for I have acted as an agent a few times for aome guys on the boards as I travel to the north store a few times a year. A buddy amd his father in law are both looking to get one soon so i will probably be making a trip in the near future.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Just watching on jealously, but I'd definitely go with the Garand - and plan to when I can (budget is too tight this year, for one). The advice (lseries) about working directly with a CMP agent is great, I'm going to keep this around for future reference.

k -I think a couple of the groups who use AGC are CMP affiliates, and so is the MSRPA (which is cheap). So getting that and then doing some shooting should be easy enough for ya.

And when you get this, you know I'm going to be bugging you about getting out to the range! (PM away)

Anyway...

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The Mini 14 is more handy to grab and go to the range - but the garand is a better investment (IHMO). Get the Garrand now and the Mini 14 later. The Garands will be gone one day.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    You need permission to buy a rifle?Anyway, buy the Garand before the CMP runs out of them and you'll be spending $1100 on the same rifle you could have picked up for $625. Garands use standard military surplus 30-06 ammunition, and the 150gr FMJs from PPU are Garand friendly.

I understand the 'permission' thing. The significant other has to be on board with the idea. My purpose was for SD under any/all conditions, so I went with the SKS; for the price of a Mini-14 or Garand you can get multiple SKS's; they are built like tanks and will take a licking and keep on ticking, easy to disassemble and are proven to work in a dirty battle environment; the ammo is cheap and available. If you want a collectible, go with the Garand. If you want cool and tactical, go with the Mini-14--just MHO

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I understand the 'permission' thing. The significant other has to be on board with the idea. My purpose was for SD under any/all conditions, so I went with the SKS; for the price of a Mini-14 or Garand you can get multiple SKS's; they are built like tanks and will take a licking and keep on ticking, easy to disassemble and are proven to work in a dirty battle environment; the ammo is cheap and available. If you want a collectible, go with the Garand. If you want cool and tactical, go with the Mini-14--just MHO

I'd have to agree. My SKS is a blast to shoot and ammo is cheap. I purchased a Unfired Norinco in mint condition and have put around 500 rounds through it without a failure.

It's just as reliable and accurate as my Arsenal but in a SD situation I'd obviously choose the AK due to magazine capacity and mag changes.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I put my 2cents in earlier for the Garand, but if you decide you want a SKS keep a eye out or hit me up. I think im gonna sell one soon. However, its not your plain jane SKS, that i have, it will either be a Ex DDR marked Russian or a Albanian SKS that i sell. I just havent made up my mind yet as to which.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The Garand would be my choice. I've owned both a Garand and an SKS and shot a few Mini 14's. The Garand is a completely different class of gun than the other two. More accurate also. The only real advantages the Mini 14 and SKS have over the Garand are size and ammo cost.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I'd go with the SG Garand for history and investment. If they don't matter to you get a Special in .308 and then you can get a Mini later and share ammo. The .308 will be more of comfortable shooter if you want to shoot a lot. If you get the Garand do get the Greek ammo. I look at a Garand as everybody should have one in their collection.
    I have all 3 and enjoy them all. The Garand is a thumper though. Both the Darand and SKS have been good investments. You're probably right in that the Mini 14 will get banned here eventually. Sh*t, what won't?

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Get a Garand, nothing equals the history behind this rifle,it was so far advanced for it's time. Gave our soldiers the advantage of 8 hard hitting rounds and rapidly reload capability versus the Japanese and Germans using bolt rifles.
    Here is a list of Maryland CMP affiliated clubs,
    http://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php

outlaw613

Jun 5, 2013
    i love my mini 14 i would go with it oh what i did and i have not looked back .
    get it before o'malley banes it or put them together and get a m14 ? best of both worlds.

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    Easy call, Garand for all the reasons stated above. CMP is a great resource, but just make sure you have your paperwork in place.

Also, I get in trouble a lot with buying guns, but I find it is easier to beg for forgiveness than ask permission. Get a Garand now, and an all numbers matching handpick Sino-Soviet SKS from Classic for $340 for while you wait for the Garand.

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    Easy call, Garand for all the reasons stated above. CMP is a great resource, but just make sure you have your paperwork in place.

Also, I get in trouble a lot with buying guns, but I find it is easier to beg for forgiveness than ask permission. Get a Garand now, and an all numbers matching handpick Sino-Soviet SKS from Classic for $340 for while you wait for the Garand.

This is what I'd do. Buy now what likely will either be out of supply or out of reach $$ wise in the future. The Minis will always be around.

I got a H&R SG from CMP last fall and it is beautiful. Ive seen Garands in LGS and they dont come close conditionwise for 2x the price. I am kicking myself for not ordering another when CMP had Springfield SGs in stock a few months ago. Mine took about 4-5 months to come in and they dont charge your CC till it ships so you have time to save.

SKSs are good rifles and they are climbing in $$ as the supply dwindles. Any of the Chinese milsurp being sold now are very good guns. Much more like the Russian SKS and far less like the commercial Norincos sold in the 80s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom