• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dirk911

May 10, 2011
    Church Hill
    Been thinking that I want my first 1911. I have had my eye on a performance center s&w but didn't know if its really worth the price tag. So if you wanted to budget $1500-$2000 for a 1911 and likey the only one you will have for quite a while, what 1911 would it be and why? The primary use for mine woud be the occasional range trip/uspsa match but it will likely be a safe queen. I'm sure there are endless threads already on here on 1911s but my iPhone isn't search friendly at the moment. Thanks in advance for input!

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Springfield trp. Great sights, g10 grips match grade trigger and can be had for around $1300. Take the rest of you budget and use it for a nice holster and ammo. If you want something a little diffrent Dan Wesson builds a nice 10min 1911 but im not sure if they are still making them since Cz took over the Dan Wesson line.

ptman2000

Aug 19, 2013
    Riva, MD
    I purchased a Smith & Wesson PC 1911 Commander last week from 2A Sales. I'm going to pick it up today so I haven't gone to the range yet but everything I've been reading on-line has been really positive.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    I was pretty impressed with Ithaca's new 1911. They only produce around 500 a year, and they are very tight, accurate pistols.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Consider an HK P7 and ammo with the change instead. You'll be buying far better pistol and spending let money. The 1911 design is outdated and overrated. Also, if selling the P7 at some point (blasphemy), you'll make money. Unless you are buying a Govt. issued 1911, you're likely to lose money later if you buy and then decide to sell one of these other 1911 copies.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Get a decent brand S&W, Ruger, Sig, etc... for 7-900 and then get a good gunsmith to do a little magic to it for 3-400 bucks.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    My sig tac ops is really nice and well under that price point. A S&W PC 1911 is on my list. You can pretty much have your pick of anything other than most wilson or les pistols for that.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Get a decent brand S&W, Ruger, Sig, etc... for 7-900 and then get a good gunsmith to do a little magic to it for 3-400 bucks.

I got my ruger sr1011 for under $700 and turned it over to one of my friends who is a gunsmith. It now feels like a much more expensive gun.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Springfield Armory Range Officer. Should only run you around $800 and then you can spend the rest on ammo or customization. Very accurate right out of the box. Love mine.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Consider an HK P7 and ammo with the change instead. You'll be buying far better pistol and spending let money. The 1911 design is outdated and overrated. Also, if selling the P7 at some point (blasphemy), you'll make money. Unless you are buying a Govt. issued 1911, you're likely to lose money later if you buy and then decide to sell one of these other 1911 copies.

You may want to ask yourself why the P7 isn't even made anymore while thousands of 1911s are still being built every year.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Been thinking that I want my first 1911. I have had my eye on a performance center s&w but didn't know if its really worth the price tag. So if you wanted to budget $1500-$2000 for a 1911 and likey the only one you will have for quite a while, what 1911 would it be and why? The primary use for mine woud be the occasional range trip/uspsa match but it will likely be a safe queen. I'm sure there are endless threads already on here on 1911s but my iPhone isn't search friendly at the moment. Thanks in advance for input!

Springfield Range Officer/Trophy Match/TRP

Why? Because they are high quality 1911's backed up by a great warranty from Springifeld.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I have to disagree, respectfully, that the 1911 is outdated and overrated.

I want a pistol that goes bang every time, hits the target, is simple to maintain and operate.....

I didn't know how good a semi auto could be until I got a 1911. I carry one every day.

I'm not sold on Kimber any longer as I have heard too many things about the later ones being Kimber in name only and not in quality. If I had the money and wanted to stray from my Colt, I'd go Les Baer or Nighthawk Custom...of course, those seem to be just outside your range.

Find an old Colt and never look back.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I have to disagree, respectfully, that the 1911 is outdated and overrated.

I want a pistol that goes bang every time, hits the target, is simple to maintain and operate.....

I didn't know how good a semi auto could be until I got a 1911. I carry one every day.

I'm not sold on Kimber any longer as I have heard too many things about the later ones being Kimber in name only and not in quality. If I had the money and wanted to stray from my Colt, I'd go Les Baer or Nighthawk Custom...of course, those seem to be just outside your range.

Find an old Colt and never look back.

Dont believe everything you read on the internet. Kimber is the #1 selling 1911,-and produces more 1911's then all 1911 producers combined. And it aint because they put out full page ads either. For every 1 complaint about a Kimber product, you'll probaby get at least 1000 praises. Colts have more then there share of problems, until the gunsmith reworks them.

That being said, I think the OP could get a Les Baer premiere in that price range.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I have these two S&W 1911's and well worth the money. I found both of these at well below the retail price.
    left: SW1911 Doug Koenig Performance Center
    right is my Pro Series 9 mm 1911

Attachments

• SW1911 DK.jpg
      SW1911 DK.jpg
      9.9 KB · Views: 947
    • S&W 19111 Pro 001.jpg
      S&W 19111 Pro 001.jpg
      53.7 KB · Views: 976

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Dont believe everything you read on the internet. Kimber is the #1 selling 1911,-and produces more 1911's then all 1911 producers combined. And it aint because they put out full page ads either. For every 1 complaint about a Kimber product, you'll probaby get at least 1000 praises. Colts have more then there share of problems, until the gunsmith reworks them.

That being said, I think the OP could get a Les Baer premiere in that price range.

:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom