• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    The employer only has a say on what you have in your car if your car is parked on property they control. Your employee handbook can only govern things that you do while at work or conduct that affects the company (e.g. social media use). If your car is not parked on company property, they can go and pound sand. Now if the shopping center owner has a policy against it, you would have to find streetside parking on the days you want to take your tools with you.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    As most have stated "Their property/business, their call" but with that said. Depending on the type of vehicle you have you could conceal to the point no one would know any thing. As far as camo you were bird watching this morning and you saw a yellow tailed ***** finch:innocent0. Chris

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    My Company had a no guns / automatic termination policy & the right to inspect any vehicle anytime...

I went shooting once a week after work at an indoor range...

Yes I kept my guns in the trunk of my car...

They were in a gun bag locked in the trunk & hidden under an old tarp...

My Guns & Magazines were always unloaded, but ammo was in the gun bag...

Most important I never told a soul that I worked with that I had guns or went shooting...

I did this for 17 years...

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    My Company had a no guns / automatic termination policy & the right to inspect any vehicle anytime...

I went shooting once a week after work at an indoor range...

Yes I kept my guns in the trunk of my car...

They were in a gun bag locked in the trunk & hidden under an old tarp...

My Guns & Magazines were always unloaded, but ammo was in the gun bag...

Most important I never told a soul that I worked with that I had guns or went shooting...

I did this for 17 years...

^^^^^^^^^
    :thumbsup: THIS!

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Does the manual say "weapon" or "firearm"? I know this doesn't matter with what you are asking but weapon opens up quite a few options for them, food for thought if looking for a better employer.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    you were bird watching this morning and you saw a yellow tailed ***** finch:innocent0. Chris

Hey.... I think you are fibbing. This is all Google gave me :-)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1436011195977.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1436011195977.jpg
      32.8 KB · Views: 218

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Pink blanket...I like that.

Many years ago, I knew a free lance photographer. He had a VW van and a BIG Leica rangerfinder camera system, multiple bodies, lenses, etc., very expensive gear for those of you that don't know.

Anyway, he woke up one morning and saw that the window on his van was busted out. He gets this sinking feeling cause he remembers he left his entire system in the van. He said he left his flash unit on the seat and he thinks that's what the guy saw initially. So, he goes out, sees that one of the doors is ajar and thinks the worst. He looks in, flash is gone, but his camera box was still on the floor. It was an old beat up fishing tackle box and he had thrown a blanket over it. The blanket was removed but the thief didn't even bother opening the tackle box. There was a small fortune worth of gear in it but only the flash unit was missing. Yeah, stupid, I know, but a bit of luck also from some foresight.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Leaving a firearm unattended in a vehicle is not a good idea. I've seen too many instances of where they have been stolen.

And here's a recent example:

Gun allegedly used by San Francisco shooting suspect belonged to federal agent, source says

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/0...o-shooting-suspect-belonged-to-federal-agent/

This X 100 !!!

Plus. no question about on company property. I wouldn't try to find some little loophole about a company. Don't even go near that or you're gone! Stay safe!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    As already mentioned, Maryland is an employment at will State. So, unless you have an employment contract, the employer can fire you just because it does not like the pants you are wearing, or for no reason whatsoever. Of course, there are protected categories, like race, religion, nationality, etc. I don't think 2nd Amendment supporter, shooter, or hunter have made that list yet, but I think they should. Of course, I am biased.

End of the day, you risk your employment just by wearing anything gun/hunting related, or letting anybody see anything gun/hunting related in/on your vehicle.

Good luck to you.

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    Fabsroman is correct. As an "At Will" state your employer can fire you for almost anything regardless of what isn't specifically in your employee manual. We do it all the time. Employees say "You can't fire me for xxxxx". Actually we can.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Leaving a firearm unattended in a vehicle is not a good idea. I've seen too many instances of where they have been stolen.

And here's a recent example:

Gun allegedly used by San Francisco shooting suspect belonged to federal agent, source says

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/0...o-shooting-suspect-belonged-to-federal-agent/

So you expect the OP to let the criminal behavior of criminals guide what he does in his spare time ? If you leave a shotgun locked up in your car and a criminal takes it to commit criminal acts, you have no culpability for his actions whatsoever.

I wouldn't want to leave a 20k custom fitted bird gun sitting in the parking lot of a shopping center, but there are times I have a toolbox in the car that is worth more than your run of the mill hunting shotgun or rifle. If you have more expensive hunting gear, $349 buys you a lockbox that you can bolt into the trunk that is sturdy enough to withstand a casual smash and grab attack (won't resist someone with powertools and time at his hands, but that doesn't describe the typical drug addled car burglar).

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    So you expect the OP to let the criminal behavior of criminals guide what he does in his spare time ? If you leave a shotgun locked up in your car and a criminal takes it to commit criminal acts, you have no culpability for his actions whatsoever.

I wouldn't want to leave a 20k custom fitted bird gun sitting in the parking lot of a shopping center, but there are times I have a toolbox in the car that is worth more than your run of the mill hunting shotgun or rifle. If you have more expensive hunting gear, $349 buys you a lockbox that you can bolt into the trunk that is sturdy enough to withstand a casual smash and grab attack (won't resist someone with powertools and time at his hands, but that doesn't describe the typical drug addled car burglar).

I really don't care what the OP does in his spare time. But leaving a firearm unattended in a vehicle is not a smart thing to do. Having it in a well-built lock box that is securely mounted to the frame of the vehicle is a bit better, but still not as good as leaving it at home in a safe.

Just because it may be "legal" to do, and that you won't be held "culpable" if it is used by someone who stole it, doesn't make it a smart or safe thing to do.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom