• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I was always under the impression that firearms and felons could not be under the same roof, regardless of relation.

I get that. But if the gooberment weren't allowed to balloon to the size that it has, there would be no need for this discussion. Problem is, once the genie is out of the bottle it's damn near impossible to get it back inside.

Well then stop worrying and lay into it. ;)

This case could be nothing or it could signifactly limit further encroachment even if the government wins...

The problem for the government is Heller. Individual rights. Due process. The wife of a felon does not get subtantive due process even if the felon did.

The court may roll over or it may unpeal the onion. Let's find out.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I had a felon on probation living in my house for over a year. She did not have the combination to my safe so it was never an issue.
    What if you didn't own a safe? Is the court going to see to it that you are issued one?

Feb 28, 2013
    What if you didn't own a safe? Is the court going to see to it that you are issued one?

Not likely, hence the underlying question I have here.

In that scenario I could see him having to prove somehow that his firearms weren't accessible to the prohibited person, but to what extent?

And if weren't able to meet that standard to whomever's satisfaction such decisions are delegated to, would he then be subject to the ultimatum of either lose the felon, or lose your firearms?

My guess at this point would be yes.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I had a felon on probation living in my house for over a year. She did not have the combination to my safe so it was never an issue.

Never an issue because no one knew or never an issue because all required parties knew and accepted the circumstances. There's a difference. :rolleyes:

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    See US v. Huett? Court said roommate living with felon didn't lose rights because felon was in the house, only that the felon had access to the guns.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I see this case having implications beyond firearms. I recall there have been some sex offender cases where the offender was not allowed to have internet access. Does that mean the offender's spouse would also have to do without?

Feb 28, 2013
    I see this case having implications beyond firearms. I recall there have been some sex offender cases where the offender was not allowed to have internet access. Does that mean the offender's spouse would also have to do without?

That may very well be the case, otherwise it would be unenforceable.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    There was a case from texas where the dr became prohibited and scotus said wife didnt lose here 2a to keep guns, this is something thats over due in my opinion with the ease of restraining orders are given sometimes,we dont take away automobiles for from convicted drunk drivers.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Loved The G-man's comment about Mrs Liddy being well armed!

I always believed it is legal for a felon to have firearms in their home.

With potential 1st amendment implications, the number of folks interested in the case may multiply. Either way, I don't think you should be able to impose a punishment on the innocent spouse. PERIOD. Perhaps the felon can be prohibited from living where firearms are stored, but the law should not have anything to say regarding the behavior of an innocent party.

Objee

Oct 3, 2013
    Yes, G. Gordon Liddy often states that Mrs. Liddy is well armed and even keeps one on his side of the bed.

Yes, a convicted felon who freely admitting many times to having multiple firearms inside his home, and never once has the state of MD or the Feds prosecuted him for it.

Even after he made comments about shooting ATF agents in the head if they illegally entered his home, he has been left alone.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    **** the SCOTUS. They deny cert on all of the important cases dealing with fundamental gun rights as part of the Constitution, and then grant cert to these worthless statutory interpretation cases.

It's not worthless when the MSP show up at your door to take all your firearms, as has been previously documented.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?

While I always back stricter rules for felons, as an american, I cringe when rights are taken away from non-felons due to "unenforceable" laws. If you can't enforce them, then you can't enact them, guess they gotta come up with something else.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Never an issue because no one knew or never an issue because all required parties knew and accepted the circumstances. There's a difference. :rolleyes:

The judge, her probation officer, and case worker knew that I had firearms in the house. She did not have access to them so it was never an issue.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    I think this is a valid point....this may be a stretch but the thought came to mind,does the question of brown v board of education and equal rights apply here?....Should a safe be provided to a household where one one person is a felon and the other is not? How can we deny the rights of one law abiding citizen solely on the fact that he or she is married to or simply lives with a felon? Should that law abiding citizen be denied of rights solely on the grounds that a coin-habitant or spouse committed a felony? I think that that would be an infringement on the rights of the law abiding citizen if they were not allowed the opportunity to keep and bear arms based solely upon the actions or classification of another individual.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I was always under the impression that firearms and felons could not be under the same roof, regardless of relation.

So, if cousin John the bank robber comes to visit me for the weekend, I have to get rid of my guns until he leaves?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom