• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Well... it's May, and it's that time of year again to tell the "man" you still have your toys. However this is the first year for the electronic renewal process on eMDSP.

I don't know about anyone else, but the only thing that has appeared under my "Machine Gun Registration" section is a "View Checklist" link. Clicking on it takes you to a new screen with a bunch of unchecked figures. Shown below.

Anyone want to take a guess on how this processes is going to work out this year?

Untitled.jpg

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Look on the left hand side of the page. Click "renew license". Find your MG license, and then renew it. Just ran through the process. Hopefully they'll push my expiration date forward to 5/31/2017... if not, I'll whine.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Look on the left hand side of the page. Click "renew license". Find your MG license, and then renew it. Just ran through the process. Hopefully they'll push my expiration date forward to 5/31/2017... if not, I'll whine.

Thanks! I think that whole website was designed by a five year old. Nothing like government tax dollars at work.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Has anyone had any success doing this with Chrome or Safari? I couldn't even get the site to open with Safari. When I got to the reg page using Chrome it says the system only supports IE. IIRC last year I had to go to the library to use a computer with IE. F**king MD makes nothing easy.

tom b

Oct 2, 2011
    Has anyone had any success doing this with Chrome or Safari? I couldn't even get the site to open with Safari. When I got to the reg page using Chrome it says the system only supports IE. IIRC last year I had to go to the library to use a computer with IE. F**king MD makes nothing easy.

Yes, using Safari. Worked last night.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I had two separate registrations (because I added one last year) in the system. Both contained everything I needed to register, so I just picked one and did it... hopefully the second entry won't cause me problems. I called MDSP licencing and they seemed to not be worried about it... we shall see, I guess.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I had two separate registrations (because I added one last year) in the system. Both contained everything I needed to register, so I just picked one and did it... hopefully the second entry won't cause me problems. I called MDSP licencing and they seemed to not be worried about it... we shall see, I guess.

I did my annual registration yesterday. There were 3 registrations, due to 2 initial registrations last year. Like you, I only did one of them that contained all of the items. I've got my receipt printed out, so no worries.

The initial registration form definitely needs some work to have it better integrate with your main records. And be more user friendly.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Based off of prior experiences, MSP doesn't give a crap about the annual registration. I sent a note in with mine 2 years ago and I got a response April the following year.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I just renewed, looks like I couldn't removed an MG I sold?

This website is all jacked up. They still ask for previous owner information.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I just renewed, looks like I couldn't removed an MG I sold?

This website is all jacked up. They still ask for previous owner information.

Yeah I had the same thing. I could not enter a SOLD date on one of the MGs. So I did a complete new line and entered a Sold date on that. Frankly its none of their F-ing business that I sold it on whatever date... I only have to list what I have, not what I no longer have...

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Makes me jealous. Would love to get one.

Don't be jealous, sell some guns and get one. MGs are not out of the question of most serious gun people. Its just a matter of priorities. I hear people with 50 pistols talking about how they can't afford MGs... sell some pistols and you can. I don't have 50 pistols but I do have MGs! Or they say well I don't want the less expensive ones, I only want the real expensive ones. So apply that to cars. Its like a 16 year old saying I only want a Ferrari, I have no interest in a Chevy...

Seriously, if its something you really want. I bet you can make it happen. Go look at your gun collection and your other hobbies and start adding up how much you have in them... I bet you will be close to MG value soon. Then its just a matter of selling and not spending until you have the money you need! Its not easy but it can be done.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Don't be jealous, sell some guns and get one. MGs are not out of the question of most serious gun people. Its just a matter of priorities. I hear people with 50 pistols talking about how they can't afford MGs... sell some pistols and you can. I don't have 50 pistols but I do have MGs! Or they say well I don't want the less expensive ones, I only want the real expensive ones. So apply that to cars. Its like a 16 year old saying I only want a Ferrari, I have no interest in a Chevy...

Seriously, if its something you really want. I bet you can make it happen. Go look at your gun collection and your other hobbies and start adding up how much you have in them... I bet you will be close to MG value soon. Then its just a matter of selling and not spending until you have the money you need! Its not easy but it can be done.

I agree with your sentiment.... but what is this "sell" thing you speak of? :D

SigDog

Feb 11, 2013
    West Virginia
    When do they update the registration page with the new expiration date?
    I did the annual registration and paid my $10 on the 5th and the expiration date is still 5/31/16.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    I did the annual registration and paid my $10 on the 5th and the expiration date is still 5/31/16.

Take a look at the "checklist" page and you'll see that the good folks in the licensing office have to go through a checklist similar to that for the HQL.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I agree with your sentiment.... but what is this "sell" thing you speak of? :D

The "sell" often makes the difference between those who get into MGs and those that don't. Usually it will take to long to just save for a MG. Usually you are going to have to sell something to help get the cash together. I get the idea of those that never sell, but I don't agree. I am constantly re-evaluating my gun collection and seeing if I would rather do something use with the money in each piece. I am not hasty to sell but I am honest with myself and sell off what I am less interested in, to re-invest the money in stuff I like more. For example I had an awesome Vickers parts kit. I sold it to buy a M16. Would I still like the parts kit, sure. However I would much rather have the M16. Its a little pain but worth the trade. Without selling stuff off, I would not have half my MGs. Some of us are lucky enough to have high paying jobs and don't need to do it. However for the rest of us, most often this is needed if serious about getting a MG...

To be frank, who cares. You did it. They took your $10. Who cares beyond that. I did what I was required by law. I am fine if MSP wants to toss the info in the trash or in this case, never process it. I hit the submit button and paid my $10. I wash my hands of the rest. Not, trying to be rude, as I understand why you care.

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    "The Maryland Department of State Police fees are non-refundable. The fee will not be returned even if your application is denied or returned for deficiencies."

I got to the Pay License Fee section and hit the submit button several times, but the page just seems to refresh and does not bring me to a confirmation page.

*Edit 1* Tried again twice and got this message:
    "Please wait, processing your request. This may take a few minutes."
    It stayed like that for over 30 minutes before I closed the window.

**Edit 2**
    Credit card is recording a charge and it gives me an error when I try to enter my information again. Still no status update, but I'll consider my work done for the year.
    xx/xx/xxxx Pending MARYLAND STATE POLICE HEA $10.00

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom